Scottish C1 Cup?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:08 pm PostPost subject:
BM
user

Timetable wise we don’t have the BMW races now so the programme is two races down anyway.. and the shortness of the races helps slot them in too.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

They will be a good bit slower over a lap when compared to a mini. At Anglesey in the underpowered mini we were just driving round them - no comparison against mini.

Overtaking - any one make series will be difficult to overtake as all cars are well matched. It’s the driver that generally counts. They would make for entertaining racing if decent grid Very Happy

Low grip, low power, low cost:D
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:56 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

was bored at work - possibly as made redundant but perhaps not... So had a poke about and found rockingham from 2018

C1 1:51 https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=BARC/2018/181921cc1.pdf in qual and in race 1:52
Mini 1:48 https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=BRSCC/2017/172431smc.pdf was faster by moggs

Surprising for me given its an expansive circuit.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:57 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

Anglesey International.

They are/were about 12s a lap off Mini pace.

With that in mind they should be looking at 68/69s laps of KH

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:03 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

Could the difference be caused by you were doing the endurance times whereas I looked at qual? I presume they run minimal fuel and flat out in qualifying.

Whatever flat out in a c1 looks like

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

i admit when i heard of a new series I thought use the ford KA, both old and new versions assuming they are all running the 1.3 ohc engine, donor cars are cheap and the scrappys are full of them as being fords they rust so plenty of spares. To keep it cheap OE parts only, road tyres, just fit a cage, seat, harness and fire system. i would even leave the tank in situ. would have been cheaper and faster than the shitroens

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

marshal-alan wrote:
i admit when i heard of a new series I thought use the ford KA, both old and new versions assuming they are all running the 1.3 ohc engine, donor cars are cheap and the scrappys are full of them as being fords they rust so plenty of spares. To keep it cheap OE parts only, road tyres, just fit a cage, seat, harness and fire system. i would even leave the tank in situ. would have been cheaper and faster than the shitroens

So, rather than adopt proven components & regulations, in partnership with a broader organisation which will facilitate people using their “Scottish” cars nationally and indeed internationally if they wish...

...you’re saying the SMRC should have invented a completely new set of untried/untested regulations for cars, with known weaknesses like massive corrosion, which would only be of use for their own series in Scotland

Incidentally, “Shitroen” C1s do the 0-60 dash nearly half a second faster than a 1.3 KA.

There are over 150 C1’s built, or in build, nationally.
www.performance-spares.com

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:01 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

HummuH wrote:
foz01 wrote:
I can see the appeal at a 24h race at Spa, a sprint race at Knockhill, not so sure.

Exactly this.

It's also a pretty clear indicator for me that one of the existing series is getting axed, either that or we'll see Sports & Saloons, Fiesta's, Hot Hatch merged into 1. The timetable is already under pressure.

Heard some chat on BMW's coming back. Can only assume that's under the Knockhill banner rather than SMRC given this new series.

Kinda disappointed that this is seen as the way forward for SMRC rather than focusing on improving existing series that need some tlc.

Why make assumptions, why not just ask the question?

Why would any series need axed? When the Compact numbers fell off a cliff, the remainder got put in with the Hot Hatch to enable them to get a race. That left space on the time table, so all classes got an extra 5mins qualifying, there’s your spare grid space if required.

Last I spoke to some BMW competitors they were talking of a come back, but it’s all gone quiet. Would be good if they got a good number of them back out, nothing sadder than parked up race cars that could be getting spanked.

Again this line about existing series needing TLC/attention comes up, and everyone’s bleating on Facebook about the club never listens to them. Vic and I personally went to every drivers’ briefing last race weekend and asked the drivers what the club could do to get more people racing in their series and for footage etc to help them promote the championships.

Total number of suggestions received I could have written on the back of one fag packet confuzled
www.performance-spares.com

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

emicen wrote:

Again this line about existing series needing TLC/attention comes up, and everyone’s bleating on Facebook about the club never listens to them. Vic and I personally went to every drivers’ briefing last race weekend and asked the drivers what the club could do to get more people racing in their series and for footage etc to help them promote the championships.

Malc, no offence, I think you (and others) are putting in a great effort on all fronts. I know what that involves so respect to you for that, no doubt.

Two things though.

Firstly, you are trying to break a perception of how the SMRC interacts with it's members and racers that has been built up over a long period of time, from what I can see anyway. That's going to take time change.

Secondly, what you've written above kinda misses the point for me. Given the current situation, I think it would be equally if not more beneficial to canvas the opinion of those who are not at the drivers briefings as it's those racers SMRC needs back or to encourage to start, to enhance the existing series.

Let's take this C1 Cup thing as an example. SMRC has the capability in this day and age to quickly and directly communicate with all it's members. Email for example. I'm pretty sure that most outwith the SMRC inner umbrella had no idea this new series was being launched.

If the club felt there was capacity for a new series, I think that's a bit of a missed opportunity to interact with the club members to stimulate discussion and take an opinion from the members. I refer you to point 1, I don't think it helps the cause.

Good luck to anyone who has a shot, not my cup of tea and whilst I understand the wider appeal, I just don't think it will add anything to an SMRC weekend.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

The tyres are ~£30 Laughing

ace!

https://c1racing.club/
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 am PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

emicen wrote:
marshal-alan wrote:

So, rather than adopt proven components & regulations, in partnership with a broader organisation which will facilitate people using their “Scottish” cars nationally and indeed internationally if they wish...

...you’re saying the SMRC should have invented a completely new set of untried/untested regulations for cars, with known weaknesses like massive corrosion, which would only be of use for their own series in Scotland

Incidentally, “Shitroen” C1s do the 0-60 dash nearly half a second faster than a 1.3 KA.

There are over 150 C1’s built, or in build, nationally.

i was not aware at the time of the c1 cup or how popular it was, cant keep a handle on every series

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:47 pm PostPost subject:
BM
user

AK wrote:
The tyres are ~£30 Laughing

ace!

https://c1racing.club/

I brought up on FB the query if tyres would be limited for the year (say 8/10?) that to me would help make the series truly budget. At that rate a full seasons tyres would cost less than what some racers spend per weekend on tyres.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

If the club & knockhill can arrange a proper 6hr, ideally 12hr or even a 24h endurance event in the C1's, take my money, now, the sprint format, as I have already said doesn't do it for me.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:05 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

marshal-alan wrote:
andy the bmw cup got dropped this year, can see them running with fiestas until there is 20 odd of them

The BMW Compact Cup was NOT dropped by SMRC. The majority of folks with cars all believed this rumour which, I think, was started by someone who was involved with BMWRacedays. Because e of that, they all sold their cars for knockdown prices.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

foz01 wrote:
If the club & knockhill can arrange a proper 6hr, ideally 12hr or even a 24h endurance event in the C1's, take my money, now, the sprint format, as I have already said doesn't do it for me.

A conventional 24hr race might be difficult as I understand Knockhill has a curfew of 8pm. The circuit and such would need lighting. It would also take a lot of Volunteer Marshals to run for 24hrs as there are requirements for breaks, meals, rest etc.

2x6hrs, split over 2 days racing might be a viable option.

Like many, I think the sprint race of 8 laps isn't great. That might be one reason why in MINIs (and BMWs before that) there's so many poor overtakes resulting in damage. It doesn't require driver to develop racecraft of managing tyres, just BTCC style barging past others.

Last edited by scottish scrutineer on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic