SMRC 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:39 pm PostPost subject: SMRC 2019
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

I'm a bit out of touch, should be back for next year though. Doesn't stop me keeping an eye on things and probably thinking too much.

SMRC needs a serious shake up for 2019. From what I can see it's dying a rapid death, something drastic needs to change. I don't know, maybe I've got it wrong, but certainly looks that way.

New clubs to run individual championships? Whole new club altogether? Knockhill MSC running some of the Championships? Affiliate with other existing series

There's no "one stop" solution to the rising discontent and lack of numbers but where do they go from here?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:22 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

this weekend S&S entry looks pretty dismal Sad

No idea.... all the talk of change hasnt really changed much.

Saying that..... I'm quite content with the Minis. Decent comms/numbers etc
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:40 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

some of the series have done well, others are dying

minis, good grids of 20+ cars
classics, better than previous years
f-ford, probably about the same as before
legends, have improved a fair bit numbers wise
hot hatch & fiesta, under 10 st's and no hot hatches,
sports and saloons, pretty poor, grid bolstered by minis
BMW, 1 car in april, the split from BWM racedays was a screw up of brexit proportions, from averaging 30 cars a few years back to this

if knockhill/kmsc wanted to put the smrc out the game then they could have but thankfully they want to work with smrc. Marshal numbers have also dropped dramatically too, like barely enough for the MSA license, 15 track marshals on the saturday at TCR. Its bad

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:43 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AK wrote:

Just out of interest, when you say decent "comms", is that from SMRC or Championship rep?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:49 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

marshal-alan wrote:
some of the series have done well, others are dying

minis, good grids of 20+ cars
classics, better than previous years
f-ford, probably about the same as before
legends, have improved a fair bit numbers wise
hot hatch & fiesta, under 10 st's and no hot hatches,
sports and saloons, pretty poor, grid bolstered by minis
BMW, 1 car in april, the split from BWM racedays was a screw up of brexit proportions, from averaging 30 cars a few years back to this

if knockhill/kmsc wanted to put the smrc out the game then they could have but thankfully they want to work with smrc. Marshal numbers have also dropped dramatically too, like barely enough for the MSA license, 15 track marshals on the saturday at TCR. Its bad

Can't argue with a lot of that Alan, indeed Mini's and Classics continue to look good but even the Classics have their "low" weekends. Legends defo better too.

Why are those series "maintaining" themselves? Does the club do it differently with them? Is it due to the competitors/people involved?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:50 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

... from SMRC/Steve Burns.

I'm getting more info than I have ever received before. Steve is also fairly prompt at replying to any mails etc.

Malcolm (not sure if more than him) is also active on FB etc with the Mini's page. As always though.... could be better but its not a salaried position so you have to be realistic with expectations I think.

and this is 100% true for all SMRC series' - more could be and should be done to get folk into the various championships. I firmly believe that we (racers etc) can help out here by posting (social media/forums) about the championships, races and what not. Publishing good videos etc
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

Biggest mistake was dropping the number of meets from 7 to 6 and upping the price. IMO it really pushes the VFM close to the limit of tolerability, especially when you're talking about a single seater that only gets an outing on race weekends (i.e. no trackdays, no SLS etc).
When I started five years ago, the overall real cost worked out at roughly £500 per race. Now it's creeping up to the £1k per race mark.

Oh, and one simple thing that would really make a difference - make a paddock plan and stick to it. It's really really infuriating to arrive on a friday afternoon to find a massive artic taking up the allotted FF space, and be told to just "find a space somewhere". Which effectively means starting your race weekend by having an argument with someone else, who quite rightly insists that you're in the wrong place.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

I may reduce the complexity of the car or get another car for the hot hatch series as 2018 has been a disaster!

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 am PostPost subject:
Performancetek

nefarious wrote:
Biggest mistake was dropping the number of meets from 7 to 6 and upping the price. IMO it really pushes the VFM close to the limit of tolerability, especially when you're talking about a single seater that only gets an outing on race weekends (i.e. no trackdays, no SLS etc).
When I started five years ago, the overall real cost worked out at roughly £500 per race. Now it's creeping up to the £1k per race mark.

Oh, and one simple thing that would really make a difference - make a paddock plan and stick to it. It's really really infuriating to arrive on a friday afternoon to find a massive artic taking up the allotted FF space, and be told to just "find a space somewhere". Which effectively means starting your race weekend by having an argument with someone else, who quite rightly insists that you're in the wrong place.

Is this the same artic who's owner happily lets you use power off the generator when required, cos were good neighbours?

9 times out of 10 we are in our own spot off of the main paddock area infront of the garages. That one time we weren't, ironically was because a formula Ford was in our allocated space. I just built a bridge and got on with it, and I'm pretty sure no one had to set up outside the paddock because of us.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

gents, does the entry forms ask you to specify your transporter and requirements for paddock space?? if not then it should so that everyone has working space. There has always been issues with folk turning up to find other vehicles where they shouldnt be but the paddocks have been expanded, there is that large tarmack area behind the garages that is flat.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:35 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

HummuH wrote:
I'm a bit out of touch, should be back for next year though. Doesn't stop me keeping an eye on things and probably thinking too much.

SMRC needs a serious shake up for 2019. From what I can see it's dying a rapid death, something drastic needs to change. I don't know, maybe I've got it wrong, but certainly looks that way.

New clubs to run individual championships? Whole new club altogether? Knockhill MSC running some of the Championships? Affiliate with other existing series

There's no "one stop" solution to the rising discontent and lack of numbers but where do they go from here?

The club are open to discussion with people, there's many channels available; message one of the Facebook pages, send an email, talk to your drivers' rep, talk to one of the committee at a race meeting, hell, even phone Steve Burns and say you want to come to a committee meeting to discuss some things.

Vic and I are going to be at all the drivers' briefings this weekend and quite specifically at Sports and Saloons it would be good to hear about the discontent, what is making people not race, what would make people race.

We did 9 pages on this subject less than 12 months ago. I'm not gonna lie, didn’t read every single post back through cause there's only so much arguing about power to weight a boy can handle before his head pops, but here it is:
http://trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8996

I think I'm right in saying that the conclusion, as far as Sports & Saloons was concerned, was;
- Need an active drivers' rep
- Need better promotion on social media
- Want an away round

There's always talk of Radicals, thundersaloons and spaceframe specials wanting to race but having nowhere to do it. Now is the time for such people to stand up and be counted...

AK wrote:

?

Said we were going to introduce the Hot Hatch Championship, did it. Last few weeks some of the Clio guys have been in contact with the club about maybe coming out later in the year. Also have a company interested in sponsoring a cup within the Hot Hatch championship for Clios, just erm... need some of them to jump in Laughing In the mean time, theres actually been more STs on the grid this year than last year and the XRs have helped boost the classics numbers on top of the other additions there.

Said we were going to improve communication with competitors, did it.

Said we were going to update the website and make it more user friendly, did it.

Said we were going to promote the club better on social media, we're not there yet, but it’s a work in progress. See further comments below about how the pages work / content etc also.

There's more work going on in the background for a new series to come join the party.

HummuH wrote:

Mini's and Classics continue to look good but even the Classics have their "low" weekends. Legends defo better too.

Why are those series "maintaining" themselves? Does the club do it differently with them? Is it due to the competitors/people involved?

The club does nothing differently with those championships. The 3 you mentioned there have racers and enthusiasts who actively engage with the club, that’s the difference. Folk like Jimmy Crow, Alastair Baptie, numerous MINI folk, Andrew Donald.

HummuH wrote:

Just out of interest, when you say decent "comms", is that from SMRC or Championship rep?

AK wrote:
... from SMRC/Steve Burns.

I'm getting more info than I have ever received before. Steve is also fairly prompt at replying to any mails etc.

Malcolm (not sure if more than him) is also active on FB etc with the Mini's page. As always though.... could be better but its not a salaried position so you have to be realistic with expectations I think.

and this is 100% true for all SMRC series' - more could be and should be done to get folk into the various championships. I firmly believe that we (racers etc) can help out here by posting (social media/forums) about the championships, races and what not. Publishing good videos etc

The club's social media channels are managed between the Covey Agency, who also developed and maintained the website, and the drivers reps, where possible. I have to say where possible because some pages told us to jog on and the club had to start again from scratch. This was not a takeover, I still post to the MINIs page regularly, but share the roll.

The new registration and entry system is being used in conjunction with a better mailing system so people should be getting their info in a more timely fashion with less reliance on the drivers' reps forwarding mass emails. Only lack of information /missed out of email complaints I have heard have come from people whose membership had expired some time ago.

Social media content is pushed out by the drivers' reps or media agency on all channels, but they don’t create the content. We're going to talk to competitors at the drivers' briefings this weekend about this one, the more stuff available, the more online content there will be. By all means send us on-board video, pictures from the workshop between rounds etc.

nefarious wrote:

Gonna have to help me out on this one:
- 7 rounds at £270 = £1,890 for 7 x ten minute qualifying sessions and 14 x twelve lap races
- 6 rounds at £275 = £1,650 for 6 x fifteen minute qualifying sessions and 12 x twelve lap races

Net change: £240 cheaper on entries, 20 mins extra qualifying track time, ~22mins less racing time.

marshal-alan wrote:

Worst thing that happened to the Compacts was them somehow deciding they didn’t have a series this year so everyone selling their cars or not bothering entering. Talking to Dave Mcnaughton he said there’s a group of drivers planning on coming back out next year and I hope they do.

The club hasn’t ditched the series and has no intention to, running them on the same grid as Hot Hatch this year was to try and make sure any that did enter got a race.

marshal-alan wrote:
gents, does the entry forms ask you to specify your transporter and requirements for paddock space?? if not then it should so that everyone has working space. There has always been issues with folk turning up to find other vehicles where they shouldnt be but the paddocks have been expanded, there is that large tarmack area behind the garages that is flat.

That’s just creating work for the sake of work. There’s a paddock plan sent out for each round and people just need to stick to it.

Paddock 4 has no access to Paddock 1 on race days, the gate needs to be locked to prevent access for the permit.
www.performance-spares.com

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:44 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

Yet, despite all of the efforts, it appears entries are haemorrhaging fromevents. Granted, there are healthy increases in Legends, Classics etc, but overall entries are down significantly and many Volunteers are no longer supporting events.

One comment that gets repeated is that the although the numbers of cars are down, the Volunteers are faced with long days with little respite between races as SMRC cram 15-16 races plus qualifying into a meeting. Races are short, so there's little time before cars need to be lined up for their next session. Do short races encourage 'reckless' overtaking and driving with folks realising they've only got a handful of laps to make progress? Result - frequent damage.

I'm afraid that grids of 6-10 cars do not generally make great viewing, nor great racing. Perhaps Fiesta STs, BMW Compacts and any Hot Hatches should run in a single Sports and Saloons (Production Cars) grid. After all, SMRC used to have a thriving 1400cc class in the same race with the likes of Sierra Cosworths not that many years ago.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:45 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

stand corrected on the gate at kinnairds, as i am usually one of the 1st in and last out i havent noticed it

Malc, what you and others are doing is great work and that deserved respect, I was having a similar chat today with lewis our chief trackie about improving stuff, making use of the talent pool we have. We (the smrc) are one club that covers drivers, team members, officials and marshals. There is a massive untapped talent pool to work with and we have to use it, lets face it we all have the same aim and that is to be part of motorsport

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

Performancetek wrote:
nefarious wrote:

Is this the same artic who's owner happily lets you use power off the generator when required, cos were good neighbours?

God no! We were really most grateful for the power, and TBH the day you were next to us in the FF bit, it was freezing and we were also quite grateful for the heat off the genny!

The main incidents I can think of are 1) when the national FFs came up and totally monopolised the FF area and half of the Legends area (when they mostly weren't even racing until the subsequent weekend), when we asked where we should go, we were told to "sort it out amongst yourselves" 2) Last time out, when the Beatsons truck took up the entire area allotted for FFs and we were told to "just fit in somewhere".

Performancetek wrote:
9 times out of 10 we are in our own spot off of the main paddock area infront of the garages. That one time we weren't, ironically was because a formula Ford was in our allocated space. I just built a bridge and got on with it, and I'm pretty sure no one had to set up outside the paddock because of us.

That weekend was no problem at all. Obviously there has to be some wiggle room, but the incidents I'm objecting to is when we've been ousted all together, and have been forced into a decision of whether to ship out to the far end of paddock 2 or get into an awkward discussion with somebody who rightly says I'm encroaching on their allocated space...

Last edited by nefarious on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

emicen wrote:
nefarious wrote:

Gonna have to help me out on this one:
- 7 rounds at £270 = £1,890 for 7 x ten minute qualifying sessions and 14 x twelve lap races
- 6 rounds at £275 = £1,650 for 6 x fifteen minute qualifying sessions and 12 x twelve lap races

Net change: £240 cheaper on entries, 20 mins extra qualifying track time, ~22mins less racing time.

To clarify, my maths go like this:
When I started, total cost for the year was about £8.5k (including everything - entry fees, engine rebuilds, fuel etc etc) and for that I got 15 races in a year. As a single seater that largely only comes out of the garage for SMRC races, the cost of ownership per race is £8.5k/15 = £566
Now, overall costs have risen to around £11k per year for a wide variety of reasons, but its the fact that it's shared over a smaller number of races that makes the big difference in the per-race cost. £11k/13 = £846

As I say, it makes a bigger difference to single seaters/Legends that can't be taken out of trackdays etc to otherwise justify the cost of ownership

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

View previous topic
View next topic