SMRC 4th & 5th August supertourers

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:49 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

My/Gordon report:

After Gordon's debut last month, the August meeting was really about consolidating the experience. His underlying speed was not bad but, keeping it up for a race distance with race traffic, needed a little more work and seat time. So we went into the weekend without any expectations, just recognition that we needed to build more experience and add to what we had already learnt.

Testing
Gordon just checked things out in session 1 – all seemed good, so on session 2 he scrubbed in front tyres for race day and then went back out on some older tyres - finding his limit with a spin at McIntyres (12 minutes on the video). After testing, a check of the front discs showed signs of cracking and so we changed them along with the gear shifter that had some stiffness.
https://youtu.be/CTo0oHDBW7A

Qualifiction
With brand new discs on the front, we decided not to go early but just to go for the three banker laps and then push after they had bedded in a little. That seemed to work well and gave a 1.03.608 on lap 5. On lap 8, things looked even faster with a delta of -0.3 sec, but he lost it at the chicane and ended beached in the gravel. Red flag, and an end to his session. But that gave a PB and 16th on the grid. A big smile on Gordon’s face and he was certainly not unhappy with that.
https://youtu.be/oirAU9ARfaI

Race 1
Distracted by the jump start in front of him, Gordon did not get away well and slipped to last in the first few corners. But Andy’s off at Duffus and Mark a few laps later moved him back up a little. Then, on his own merit, he passed Jonny Dreelan to finish 18th.
https://youtu.be/sUvrzBe-HZQ

Race 2
A better start this time, but still lost some places on the first lap. He then settled into a steady pace and passed Mark mid race, and held that position to the end.
https://youtu.be/pEPMKsIQvc8

Race 3
Again, it was not a great start and Gordon settled to the back of the grid with Mark Dawson. They were having a great little race but Mark was getting a little quicker as the day went on and saw the chequered flag first. I was pleased to see a safety car for Gordon to complete his introduction to Mini racing - he had managed to do 5 races without one!
https://youtu.be/ZYi0w2a0ZLk

So a good weekend with new PB’s and three finishes. Roll on the next one.
Duratec in Detail

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm PostPost subject:
BM
user

Good weekend in the Fiestas for me, three 2nds. Finally starting to reel in Mr Macaulay on lap times!

Just some smoothness on my part, and if I’d been more on it at the start of the year the championship would be closer. Realistically discounting any DNFs Wayne will wrap it up in September.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

SMRC Celtic Speed Mini Cooper Cup - August Round

After the success at last round of SLS just a few weeks ago, I was sure I had finally got my mojo back and was hoping for a more positive race weekend in the mini.
Realistically I know I'm not going to be on the top step of the podium quite yet, but was aiming for top 10 finishes, which I would be happy with (relatively happy with)

So after qualifying, I was left a little deflated. 18th out of 21 Sad
I know I should be doing better than that. I know the circuit and where I can make up time, but I just couldn't seem to string it together.

Race 1
Game face on - I was determined to finish higher up the grid.
I lined up and realised I couldn't see any of the starting lights! Yikes! I re-adjusted myself in my seat a few times and finally spotted a light when they came on.
I got a cracking start and made up a few places before the first corner. I spend the first few laps battling around Simon Holderness and Craig Dillon.
Once ahead of them I caught up with the pack ahead of Taelor Shand Racing, Dom Wheatley, Michael Weddell and Ian Munro. I had to ease off a bit to avoid hitting Dom in the rear exiting Clarks (he'd been off just before and lost a lot of momentum).
I had a good battle with Taelor for the next few laps of the race. Her defending was relentless, so it was tricky to get passed. I could get the run on her out of the hairpin, but she
was later on brakes and a lot ballsier than me into duffus and regained the place.
I finally made the pass stick, to only lose it going in to the hairpin later on in the race, leaving the door open for Taelor and another 3 cars - then I saw the 'Last Lap' board. Balls! (and some more expletives on the video!)
I managed to regain two spaces on the last lap, including a drag race to the chequered flag with Dom.
12th place finish, which I was pretty chuffed with, coming from 18th.

Race 1 Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2rdofHCwM&t=3s

Race 2
I could see the start lights....result!
I got another decent start and got ahead of Taelor and William Blake, slotting in behind Ian Munro to defend at McIntyres.
I spent the first half of the race behind Ian Munro, William Blake and Michael Weddell, trying to keep William Blake behind me. He got passed at the hairpin on lap 5 and the race was pretty uneventful after that. Craig Blake going wide at McIntyres gifted a space back.
A top 10 finish though, so delighted with that
Smile

Race 2 Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTj0Ptur-Do

Race 3
A weekend of good starts it would seem! Braving the outside - I managed to make up a couple of places by Macintyres and then another at the chicane (somehow luckily missing Douglas Simpson returning back on track!). The safety car then came out and I was sitting in 6th place! AMAZING! (cue the happy wave to the team on the pitwall as I was passing!)
When racing resumed I had Michael Weddell and Ian Munro all over the back of me ( i was a bit distracted by Ashleigh's re-start). I tried to put up a fight for a couple of laps, but they got by (wee bash with Michael at hairpin... but there was a very large gap to fill!) and then I was left defending against Ross McColm who also eventually made a pass. Still....with the retirees from earlier incidents, I managed to finish a respectable 7th.

Race 3 Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhfrlzP3-uw&t=442s

Another race weekend where I've been fortunate enough to finish all three races and with minimal damage to the car (which is always a bonus). Hoping for top 10 finishes, I'm pretty happy to have achieved a 12th, 10th and 7th place, especially after my dreadful qualifying performance. IT was definitely one of my favourite racing weekends and hopefully it's a sign of better things to come for the last two race meetings of the year.

As always, a huge shout out to my sponsors. I know I say it after every race meeting, but I really wouldn't be out on the grid at all if it wasn't for their support this year.

- Kay Building Contractors Ltd
- Global Design Innovation / GDi - http://www.globaldi.co.uk/
- Bonthrone Security Services Ltd - http://bonthronesecurity.co.uk/
- CD Refrigeration UK LTD - http://www.cdrefrigeration.co.uk
- Perth Tool Repairs

Big thanks also to the Andrew Lamont Motorsport Ltd team, for getting the car running tip top at each race weekend. I'm still not doing the car justice, but hopefully that will come (sooner rather than later please!)

We've got a bit of a break now until the next round on 16 September, so time to get some practice in

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Nice and positive. Clean too Smile

Can see in the vids that you are getting better in traffic, making less rash moves, lifting less for issues in front and defending more efficiently. The pace wasnt amazing fast, but it was fairly consistent with little drama (except that weird half spin in Race1 - looks very un-natural to just snap like that)

Now..... i need to learn the same. i have the not lifting bit sorted Laughing

Still room for improvement though (tuition?).... Duffus stands out in my head Smile Push push push
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:29 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

goddam duffus is the devils work i tell thee and where i lose most of time.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

andybell wrote:
Biggest drama is John Duncan/David sleigh drama in race 3. I haven’t seen it so no opinion from me but vic/John/David were in race control until something like half six.. i will say angry vic is just..so..scary :/

From my POV I had really good brakes which showed how problematic they were all this season. Felt like a new car and more consistent times were easier.

Results were not final until after 9pm Shocked

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Any links to final Mini results or do they all stand as they were originally published?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:23 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

andybell wrote:
goddam duffus is the devils work i tell thee and where i lose most of time.

Laughing Only bit of track I'm fast!
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:58 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

suits your attitude that part Wink

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

I presume this isn’t super secret:
Race 3 (Round 14) – 11 laps
On lap 1 Craig Blake (95) and William Blake (26) made contact at McIntyres resulting in William Blake becoming stranded in the gravel trap. Hannah Chapman (Cool and Douglas Simpson (81) made contact at Butchers. The Safety Car was deployed to enable car 26 to be recovered to a place of safety. Racing resumed at the end of lap 3.
At the end of lap 2 Douglas Simpson (81) retired to the Pitlane.
At the end of lap 5 Hannah Chapman (5) retired to the Pitlane.
On lap 6 Craig Dillon (16) and Ross McColm (44) made contact at Butchers resulting in Craig Dillon retiring against the safety barrier. David Sleigh (5) and John Duncan (24) made contact at Clarks resulting in John Duncan spinning.

Following the race the incidents of contact were investigated. No further action was deemed necessary regarding the contact between cars 95/26 and cars 8/81 and there was insufficient evidence to take any action regarding the contact between cars 5/24. John Duncan (24) appealed this decision to the Stewards of the Meeting, whom having convened an appeal hearing, dismissed the appeal with the appeal fee forfeit, declaring the contact a “racing incident”.
David Sleigh (5) was penalised with a deduction of 20 championship points for being unable to supply camera footage contrary to Championship Regulation 2.13. David Sleigh appealed this decision to the Stewards of the Meeting, whom having convened an appeal hearing, upheld the appeal with the appeal fee returned, the penalty was accordingly rescinded.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:24 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Upholding the appeal on the lack of camera footage seems a bit odd to me (granted as someone without any inside knowledge of how these things work) - surely that's pretty black and white?

Or are there actually circumstances where its 'ok' not to be able to supply footage?

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

It confuses me too but I’m a newbie and the hole penalty structure always comes across as very interpretive- which at times makes sense but causes confusion when two similar things have different end results. But without seeing any footage guess hard to say

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

Erik wrote:
Upholding the appeal on the lack of camera footage seems a bit odd to me (granted as someone without any inside knowledge of how these things work) - surely that's pretty black and white?

That's exactly what I said to Adam...I can understand with some incidents there are more than one point of view, but that's a pretty yes or no things

Apparently though it's to do with the reason 'why' you have no camera footage. If you just don't put a camera in, or forget to turn it on, then it's the driver's fault.
If your camera 'fails' then it's not

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

it should be your responsibility to provide footage regardless of failure reason as if that's case i can just hex edit my footage and boom its gone and not recoverable i mean it *looks* like its there. And i would bet good money people have done that already if they know stance.

Lets not kid ourselves that people dont treat this as win at all costs - if it isn't black or white no reason to have rule. And i know down south listening to taelor they also do random samples of footage testing and if you cant produce you are fined.

I am not saying this is reason - but perhaps mini's have the reputation for crashy/repairs as its the series most likely for people to look for every competitive edge?

Its like diving in football it occurs because no real punishment - they bring in VAR for world cup and (bar Neymar) it just didn't go on as no real gain.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:10 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

agreed ^

I think compusary F/R cameras should be added to regs. That then at least doubles the redundancy for giving evidence.

I.e in the case above, John could have put fwd his rear camera footage to stewards.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic