Race of Remembrance 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 pm PostPost subject: Race of Remembrance 2018
AK
Site Admin

... entry is open

http://www.raceofremembrance.com/

assume entry fee will be in the region of 2017 - £2100, maybe £100 up again, £2200
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

http://www.raceofremembrance.com/

Quote:
Entries now open for this special event that will commemorate 100 years since the end of First World War

Forces’ charity Mission Motorsport is today launching its fifth Race of Remembrance, a special event to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day and the sacrifices made by all service personnel and their families.

The race, now a highlight in the UK racing calendar, takes place at the beautiful Anglesey Circuit in North Wales from 9th – 11th November and will this year be bigger and better than ever, with 50 teams competing in a 12-hour endurance race. The action-packed weekend will feature a Heroes Dinner in the marquee, night racing and at 10.45 on Sunday morning the track will fall silent as the race pauses to hold a very special service of remembrance.

Sir Chris Hoy, Olympian and competitor at Race of Remembrance, talks about the event in a short film. He said: “The event was amazing. I knew a bit about it beforehand, I’d seen videos from previous years and spoken to people about it but you really have to be here to understand the spirit of the event. You get caught up in it all, it’s amazing. Incredible people that do such an amazing job in helping these injured service men and women. Not just those that are getting involved in the racing but those who are helping out the teams and just getting them out and interacting with people, it’s incredible. And to have the service half way through the race as well was a really special and emotional moment.”

As well helping to attract new beneficiaries, raise awareness and support for Mission Motorsport, Race of Remembrance plays a vital role in raising funds to support the charity’s work. Mission Motorsport engages new beneficiaries through motorsport and, through its accredited training centres and corporate partnerships, gives them new skills and work placements, providing a network of support and pastoral care throughout each person’s journey. In six years, the charity has seen impressive growth and delivered more than?4,500 training days?of sport for over 1,400?beneficiaries, leading to over?200 placements and more than 120?jobs.

James Cameron, CEO of Mission Motorsport, said: “Race of Remembrance is always a special event and one that is eagerly anticipated by a growing number of people from across the charity, racing industry and further afield. This year will be especially poignant, falling as it does on the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War, and we will be commemorating the sacrifices made by service men and women in a very special way”.

There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in Race of Remembrance, as a driver, volunteer or sponsor. Please contact us for more information.

Looking to field 2 teams, using 2 minis.

Entry Form = http://raceofremembrance.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Entry-Form-RoR-2018-3.pdf

Last year Very Happy

AK wrote:
Essay time!

Race of Remembrance 2017 - TrackScotland - BMW R50 Mini Cooper R50 #155, Class A 1600

Team: Adam Kindness, David Long, Lowell Forsyth, Mark Dawson

A few months ago I saw that entry had opened for RoR 2017 and fancied having a shot of it now that I had a semi-appropriate car. A couple of emails later TrackScotland had a team of 4 folk. Varying race histories (one didnt even have a race licence until October) and car backgrounds.

Lots of planning behind the scenes and spares gathering trying to make sure we had all bases covered should any issues arise. We prob had the most complete spares package in the whole paddock Laughing 3 engines, 4 gearboxes, multiple subframes, 3 sets of suspension, panels.... you name it we had it! Even a 40" LCD, beer fridge and PS3. We even had a complete car to test with on the Sat morning test sessions Very Happy

Massive thanks at this point to ...

Craig Dillon / CD Refrigeration for assisting with some spares
MB Plant / MB Garage Services & Motorsport for giving us their motorsport support vehicle for 5 days

We all set off from our various locations early on Thursday with a view to meet at Anglesey early afternoon to set up and have a few beers. By 6 I think we were pretty much there... beers open and GT fired up Laughing. Curry later and more beer...

Friday

We had booked 3.5hrs of testing first thing in the morning and planned to use David's car for this. Things went well with all drivers getting a good chance to learn the circuit and give ALM some feedback for setup for the race car. Fastest lap was down into the 1:51's which looked favorable with some in reserve Very Happy

Friday afternoon was supposed to be official practice - this didnt go to plan and we got very little running whilst trying to diagnose a front end vibration under power. This led to a quick gearbox change... no difference. Outer shaft was then changed - much better. This allowed some running at the end of the session. Vibration gone but car still waay down on power :/ Plan was to swap back to orig gearbox (much slicker and fresher) after practice and before qualy.

Night Qualy (familiarisation) - car felt better back on orig gearbox with new outer shaft but was noticeably slower than Davids to the tune of ~10mph on the main straight. Still a worthwhile session giving all drivers a snapshot of racing in darkness Very Happy

Plan over night involved some work on the pink car's fuel system to see if any horses were hiding in the tank....

Saturday:

Qualifying - this was to set the grid, but the weather was pretty horrific. ALM set the car up with a bit of an untested wet setup and out we went.

AK - 2:05.013
DL - 2:11.661
LF - 2:05.669
MD - 1:57.787 (drying track but clutch starting to slip due to an oil leak)

Positives - Car felt a bit more lively and the data backed it up. Wet VMAX was better than Friday's dry VMAX! Finally I have some power in the barbie car!

Negatives - an oil leak was observed around the gearbox before Mark's session, but Mark needed to complete some laps. He managed some decent times despite the clutch starting to slip. Whilst Mark was out the engine in David's car was removed and prepped in case it was the crank oil seal.

ALM had 3 hours to fix the issue/swap engines. They stripped out the pink ca'rs engine and found the leak to be the input shaft seal in the gearbox - easy fix! So orig gearbox and engine were refitted with plenty of time to spare before we were called to the assembly area.

Race Start

Having never done a rolling start before I had a few questions Laughing - 'When can I go for it'. The driver lineup was chopped and changed and we came up with a plan (cant remember why we settled on this but mostly due to belt adjustments and pace/experience). I started the race..... in my typical laid back fashion Neutral Caught folk napping so sent it down the middle, then up the inside Laughing a bit of a frantic start for an endurance race Laughing may change this in future Very Happy

Settled into a decent stint but cut it short when I noticed a vibration front left. I thought wheel bearing but thankfully it was 'just' the wheel working loose. 1hr 10m stint from a planned 1hr 30m. David was out next, then Lowell, then Mark before I finished the Sat with a short 30m stint until 9pm. I'll let them comment on their stints... but I had a hoot. Some great racing with MX5s and BMWs... flaming exiges, dodging caterhams etc. Raging at Tom Onslow-Cole (or other driver(s)) for being a bit keen LOL...

We were only half way but I think by this point everyone was over the moon Laughing dry, wet, day, night, engines in/out and a fairly flawless 6hrs in the pink barbie car that has struggled for reliability all year... never mind pace! VBOX data showed the VMAX speed was now comparable to Davids car but we were a bit hampered by the Midland gearing compared to the Getrag... just caught between gears on a lot of corners :/ Davids gearbox was a bit worn so wasn't worth the potential risk. I'd done a 1m51 in Davids car after a couple of laps, but had only mustered a low 1:53 in the Pink one. Still not balls out, but pushing on a bit in places.

Parc Ferme overnight.... SLEEP!

Sunday:

Arrived back nice and early and the weather was crap! Howling wind and driving rain. Bring it on... the Mini was much more competitive in the wet Very Happy The only downside was putting a setup on the car... or the lack of putting a set up on Laughing

I was out first (rules..) with full hard rear in the wet which led to some pretty lairly drifts on T1/T3 - the two fast corners. I really struggled with the off camber turn down the hill too. I was still passing MX5s and BMWs though... so fantastic, great fun. The weather was on/off rain which was giving a fairly greasy unpredictable surface. Lowell out next and the rear was softened 2 clicks in the stop.... cue drift king Lowell having a ball in the Mini for a double stint LOL. David next with a further soften at the rear. At this point the overall picture was getting clearer and it was clear we could potentially score third if not squeeze second. Downside was the track was drying and outlook getting brighter... Mark jumped in during a safety car and drove a flat out epic sprint stint for over an hour before having to pit with fuel starvation. I was then out again for the last 1hr 20m for a straight race to the flag. I have never driven a car so hard for so long Laughing First flying lap was our quickest so far, then another then another... pretty happy with how consistent I was despite the traffic (passing and being passed). Sure some of the folk I was passing werent so happy (launching up the inside LOL) but the Mini seemed to be so much better than most cars on the brakes so passing was a doddle if you could just keep close enough on the straights.

Around 7 laps from the end the gearbox started to feel a bit iffy... then it felt horrific... then sounded like a bag of spanners. Bang... 3rd gear gone... 2nd and 4th only but sounding very sick. After a bit of radio chatter on how long to go.... i just kept trying to keep the momentum up. The car started smoking and clutch slipping... please please please keep going :O Last lap... last corner.... Car #74 passed :rage: 4th place.

So many Ifs and Buts... with a few could have beens Laughing

BUT.... What an experience. Great event, great Team, great support from ALM (Andy, Joe and Ian). The result wasnt what we would have liked, but If we are completely honest we would all say we didnt expect to have the car still cross the line after 12hrs!

320 laps.... 672 miles.... 1081km - Thats 560 laps of KH, or 62 SMRC Mini Cooper Cup races (2.5 years worth).... in the race alone, never mid practice/qualy.

Can't say enough about the support from Andrew Lamont Motorsport really... no danger that car would have lasted 12hrs and got over the line (limped for 10mins!) had we not had you guys there to keep it running. The pit stops were fantastic... flawless and efficient. Great banter too Very Happy

Bring on next year Very Happy

Some vids (me driving)

Start on Sat - https://youtu.be/wcIPekpVhN8

Early morning Sunday - bit of a moment at Church - https://youtu.be/QjzteYkKORM

slipping and sliding at T1 - https://youtu.be/zmtMFyM3INU

Safety car restart in my final stint on Sunday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJjMqIwDP8

Gearbox giving up - https://youtu.be/xXOtKRDTo-0

Final corner Sad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nol9Baj08Q

I havent really mentioned that the whole event was in aid of charity. Mission Motorsport. Great cause and well run Thumbs Up

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Team so far

5 drivers

AK
Fee
Lowell
Mark
Craig

3 more required.

Fee would like to run a ladies team
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 pm PostPost subject:
Nick

It's tempting, does sound like a good experience.

Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Whats the arrangement for damage / car totalled?

Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I'm not worried about light damage (i.e cars touching/scuffing... bashes on bumpers/wing mirrors), but if you <driver> goes off / collects a car and causes significant panel damage - 'you bend it, you mend it'

If the car is still in the race and someone stuffs the same corner - 2 folk fix.

Drivers can arrange insurance as they see fit.

We had zero contact in 2017. Worst that happened was an arch trim fell off... I'd hope this year to be the same. Its not a sprint race Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AK wrote:
I'm not worried about light damage (i.e cars touching/scuffing... bashes on bumpers/wing mirrors), but if you <driver> goes off / collects a car and causes significant panel damage - 'you bend it, you mend it'

If the car is still in the race and someone stuffs the same corner - 2 folk fix.

We had zero contact in 2017. Worst that happened was an arch trim fell off... I'd hope this year to be the same. Its not a sprint race Smile

Aye, you automatically adopt a different approach when you know you've got to get through 12hrs. Getting held up for a few corners, or even laps, doesn't bring down the red mist like it cam do in a sprint race. It's all about consistently good pace, not just getting past that car in front, although that is great fun too!

I think we all learned some lessons from last year and hopefully we can all keep the gearbox in one piece this year!

Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

HummuH wrote:
AK wrote:

Aye, you automatically adopt a different approach when you know you've got to get through 12hrs. Getting held up for a few corners, or even laps, doesn't bring down the red mist like it cam do in a sprint race. It's all about consistently good pace, not just getting past that car in front, although that is great fun too!

I think we all learned some lessons from last year and hopefully we can all keep the gearbox in one piece this year!

This. The easiest way to lose this type of race is in the pits.

You can spend a full session making up 5 seconds and easily lose that in a pit stop.

Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

we have the 2 teams sorted now Thumbs Up
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed May 30, 2018 12:53 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

Would actually have loved to do this race but I’m gonna be on my honeymoon.
www.performance-spares.com

Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

emicen wrote:
Would actually have loved to do this race but I’m gonna be on my honeymoon.

I hear north west wales is nice that time of year Cool

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Anyone else heading down to race/spanner/watch?

TrackScotland 1 - AK, Lowell, Mark Dawson, Craig
TrackScotland 2 - Fee, Mark Geraghty, Ian, Neil
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

I've got the time off work so plan to head down with the van to enjoy the event as a spectator and lend a hand. So some capacity to take fuel tyres etc, if you need it. May bring a gearbox or two as well Smile
Duratec in Detail

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:23 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

yup, spares and a calm head for strategy would be good Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

Looks like Gordon might come too - and it's cheaper to hire a motorhome than hotels. So we could provide some basic catering and comfort for the teams during the race . I guess we'd get access to the paddock OK? Do you get passes, I can't recall how it worked last time.
Duratec in Detail

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic