SMRC 8th October

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Knockhill's quick round up vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euk_Bfv5fZU
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

MyLaps Results - https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1470301
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:08 am PostPost subject:
scotiamr2t
user

Didn't make it up but heard it was a good days racing. Incredibly frustrating/annoying the live timing STILL hasn't been fixed

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

my race report is: soft brakes all day which resulted in being fully bled before race and pedal going from soft to really soft as race wore on:) Was fine for everywhere bar breaking before scotsman and hairpin heh . It meant that whilst i was driving 'faster' (probably caused by not overbreaking) stopping was a problem - still was faster than usual.

First race pumped off track at clarks from behind and 2nd/3rd were ok but pissed away a place in 3rd race. Overall better and with decent brakes think i wouldn't have lose places so easy. Still car relatively in one piece and minimal work required over winter - bring it on.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

oh and race one minis... anyone got any decent footage of the start?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:11 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

andybell wrote:
oh and race one minis... anyone got any decent footage of the start?

Don't know about decent, but this shows you being lent on at Clarks.

https://youtu.be/AUEH0hJST5g

I enjoyed the weekend - I was a little quicker than last time. Three finishes, two more signatures, and no damage bills! Happy with that! And with a bit more seat time (in my own car) I'd be able to keep up with the 'pack'.
Duratec in Detail

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:59 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

So, after years of talking about it an umming and ahing I finally had my first proper races this weekend.

From a hastily rescheduled ARDS test, non-arrival of a racing license from the MSA and my first fine, 67 for failing to produce said license, hardly ideal before qualifying however it kept me busy and kept the nerves away as I dealt with the clerk of the course and MSA officials.

It's not until you go behind the scenes, and see the sheer no of people required to run a proper motorsport event you can see why the entry fee's are what they are.

Qualifying, so torqued up the slicks, or rather the support team did- I have proper support and it just makes life much less stressful, particularly when I had all the red tape, helps get the car through scrutineering etc.

So the slicks, testing was limited, as in there wasn't any, and seeing as they came with the car, I assumed they would be amazing like other cars previously were when on them, conscious that you need to complete at least 3 laps to register a qualifying time, and a few to get slicks to switch on, I was taking it pretty easy, and there was 1 red flag but try as I might I couldn't get any heat into the fronts, the slower corners it was horrendous understeer, the hairpin in particularly was awful, the car then stuck itself in 4th gear, into the pits and sure enough a 1.02 lap (my best being 56.8 ), which put me 2nd last, I was actually pretty relieved as It meant I wouldn't have loads of cars behind me.

After googling the slicks, the front compound are pretty much endurance spec, they came with the car but I will be moving them on as being so light the car just doesn't get enough heat into them, certainly no use for 15min sprint races. Changed back to the toyo 888R's, which were basically the transport tyres, road legal trackday tyres, I had 3 additional sets of wheels and tyres, a set of scrubbed slicks, a brand new unused set of slicks and set of full competition wets just in case Laughing.

So race start, and not being able to see the lights meant I had to just go with everyone else, that was after realising they have a practice start and another formation lap!

A poor start and after watching about 4 cars go off on the first lap after issues, taps, and straight out-breaking themselves, I got caught in amongst 3 mini cooper S's all racing for position, and they take zero prisoners, from having to shoot down escape roads and going on the grass at the main straight I finally got past them, it took about 4 laps then a switch flipped, started to really begin driving the car, another double yellow and safety car, and me daydreaming to realise I could catch all the leaders who again got the jump at the restart, but it all started to come together and I managed to catch and pass another couple of cars and was closing in before the chequered flag came down.

Quite literally the biggest buzz ever, from 17 starters, I finished 7th.

Checking the times and I had taken half second off my PB, was driving the car a lot harder so pleased with that, best time 56.4.

Race 2 , with over 4 hours between races, the pesky FF's, Minis, legends, classics, ford ST's and XR2's I was actually more nervous for this one believe it or not.

On grid and starting 7th this time, with 14 starters, I was right in the middle of the mini's again. I was far too slack at the start and found at the back again within a few corners, fighting with the mini's for a bit, and the talent masker really helps here, I can just grunt it round the long way, cover the line and take some brave pills for the braking points and I am away.

By the time I had switched myself on again and really started (over)driving the car I knew I was braking later and getting quicker, but found myself chasing the pack, once I lock onto something I seem to find a lot more speed and was catching the car in front at a quick rate til it was the chequered flag again, 6th & checking the times I had knocked another .9 off my PB and was down to 55.5 as a best lap.

With the qualifying issue's, the wrong tyres but still being competitive, with more seat time and a set of more suitable tyres the car will be competitive at the sharp end of that I am sure.

In terms of an overall experience, nothing legal touches it, absolutely nothing!!

I have fallen for it, hook line and sinker!!

I will get the videos up in due course, hopefully they manage to do justice in any way what the car is doing, braking from 140mph to 40ish makes you feel alive I can promise you!

Quick word on the car, what an absolute weapon, zero understeer, predictable, incredible braking, the sequential, flatshift etc, the sheer grunt the thing has, I adore it, and it looks fabulous!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

you the lad in the red lotus??? never have thought you had just passed your ards. Good driving and given time you will be a class winner

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:31 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Cheers appreciate that! We're you marshalling on Sun, if so where about, the car was pretty wild at the chicane and clarks!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:16 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

Great report and glad it went well for you. For the first time out those were very respectable finishes. You were not the only one finding out slicks on light cars don't work. Unless they are brand new, I think it's take a lot of work to get them up to temperature, and the race would be over.
Duratec in Detail

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:12 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Small snippet of late on in race 2

https://instagram.com/p/BaCbL_DBX4Z/

It was the wrong compound david, was speaking to Avon Motorsport today about them, have no idea why they were chosen unless it was a 4hr stints at La Sarth Cool

Rears were ok.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:33 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

foz01 wrote:
Cheers appreciate that! We're you marshalling on Sun, if so where about, the car was pretty wild at the chicane and clarks!

was flaggie at railway, saw you drifting at clarks

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

foz01 wrote:
Small snippet of late on in race 2

https://instagram.com/p/BaCbL_DBX4Z/

It was the wrong compound david, was speaking to Avon Motorsport today about them, have no idea why they were chosen unless it was a 4hr stints at La Sarth Cool

Rears were ok.

Much drift win Cool
www.performance-spares.com

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

disco lights Laughing

Nice one min...The starts are the key. Beast the car on the out lap (and green flag lap if they do it again in 2018)... work the brakes a lot.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Race 1 - Minis - Started 11th, finished 10th (thought it was 9th Laughing ). Was a good fun race, but can see a few areas where I'm still trying different things from lap to lap (clarks! and gears)

https://youtu.be/HMlObz1UjFA
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5

View previous topic
View next topic