Entries

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 8 of 9

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

This is exactly why the SMRC and the series drivers need to get new people out there racing. You'll have a completely different view once you've actually been out and done.

In racing, one off lap times mean hee haw. Traffic, tyre management, tyre choice, conditions, set-up, mechanical sympathy, driver ability all come into play.

I can assure you, even if you spent the whole race lapping by yourself (which I admit becomes very dull after a while), being involved in a start of a race, for the first time, waiting for the lights to go out and with 20+ cars going into Duffus will give you a rush and a buzz like you just do not get from something like SLS.

If folk can get over the "I wont win anything" and "I will have no one to race against" mentality and get out there and do a few races then half the battle is won in terms of getting numbers up.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:26 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

YumYumTurbo wrote:

Racing though, money talks unless regs are fair and if i had the choice i would take an ep3 over the clio due to power and weight it will be faster than a clio without a doubt.

Ek4's would be brilliant for the 1600cc class. Same scenario though, everyone would just buy ek4's then there the saxo/106 etc wont come out to play.

#powertoweight

Laughing

Money (and time) will always talk in motorsport:
    More engine development - More power/drivability/reliability
    Transmission developments - straight cut 'boxes, sequential, advanced LSDs
    More exotic materials - lighter/durable/increased performance
    More or better tyres - New tyres every round/race/qualifying, wets, shaved treads
    Better brakes
    Better suspension components
    More "pushing the boundaries"
    More testing
    More driver coaching
    More expensive driver...

There are loads of ways that folks can "buy" their way to better results or wins. To attempt to control that, Regulations get tighter, more complex, more restrictive, more contrived. Look at BTCC an an example. The cars may appear to the punter watching on TV or from the trackside to be different, but the number of control parts on them is extensive. Performance is "managed" (or manipulated) by success ballast and changes to boost pressure, or changes to the Regulations (Subaru Levorg).

Every now and again a talented individual will come through that has the ability to not need as much "help" from the things above.

However, we're talking about Club Racing, which should be about enjoying participating in the sport. Yes some people will spend more money or time, because they can. Its just like some people stay in bigger/better houses.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

HummuH wrote:
Power to weight is not needed, it's a nightmare to organise, it's a nightmare to police and the rules are very easily broken, which they will be.

From what I can see, and this is always the case from the years I've been involved, people convince themselves it's not worth bothering unless they think they they can win the class. If everyone adopted that attitude there would be no racing at all.

Here's a fact: there will always be someone in there who will be prepared to spend more money than you to have better class performance than you. Outwith a one make series, no amount of club motorsport regulations will prevent that.

I think S&S (and hopefully SLS too) provides a pretty decent platform for any car to race in. People need to stop being so precious.

Well said

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

HummuH wrote:
This is exactly why the SMRC and the series drivers need to get new people out there racing. You'll have a completely different view once you've actually been out and done.

In racing, one off lap times mean hee haw. Traffic, tyre management, tyre choice, conditions, set-up, mechanical sympathy, driver ability all come into play.

I can assure you, even if you spent the whole race lapping by yourself (which I admit becomes very dull after a while), being involved in a start of a race, for the first time, waiting for the lights to go out and with 20+ cars going into Duffus will give you a rush and a buzz like you just do not get from something like SLS.

If folk can get over the "I wont win anything" and "I will have no one to race against" mentality and get out there and do a few races then half the battle is won in terms of getting numbers up.

I agree with all of that Mark and would anticipate getting all of the buzz you mention just by being there. I just need to beat myself initially then set realistic targets, plan how to get there and do it. I would sign up in a heartbeat but unfortunately my heartbeat probably isn't strong enough to get a race licence. Furthermore, I think I could only cope with the "gentleman racing" idea in say classics. I don't know how I would take the emotional and financial aspect of binning the car. I really want to do it but arrive and drive might be the only way. What I really want is a d type replica and go for it. Hey ho.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

scottish scrutineer wrote:

Every now and again a talented individual will come through that has the ability to not need as much "help" from the things above.

WAVE

Laughing

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

arm10 wrote:
HummuH wrote:

I agree with all of that Mark and would anticipate getting all of the buzz you mention just by being there. I just need to beat myself initially then set realistic targets, plan how to get there and do it. I would sign up in a heartbeat but unfortunately my heartbeat probably isn't strong enough to get a race licence. Furthermore, I think I could only cope with the "gentleman racing" idea in say classics. I don't know how I would take the emotional and financial aspect of binning the car. I really want to do it but arrive and drive might be the only way. What I really want is a d type replica and go for it. Hey ho.

To put one myth to bed Alex, I'm pretty sure S&S has the lowest rate of "contact" incidents out of all the SMRC series. Last big "car to car" hit I remember was when the BMW Compacts were racing in with S&S.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm PostPost subject:
crayons
user

arm10 wrote:
WRobson wrote:
HummuH wrote:
Power to weight is not needed, it's a nightmare to organise, it's a nightmare to police and the rules are very easily broken, which they will be.

From what I can see, and this is always the case from the years I've been involved, people convince themselves it's not worth bothering unless they think they they can win the class. If everyone adopted that attitude there would be no racing at all.

Here's a fact: there will always be someone in there who will be prepared to spend more money than you to have better class performance than you. Outwith a one make series, no amount of club motorsport regulations will prevent that.

I think S&S (and hopefully SLS too) provides a pretty decent platform for any car to race in. People need to stop being so precious.

Really good point Mark, I started 3 seasons ago in a slow heavy focus, in a class against a focus with 100bhp more, you in your rapid coraddo, and 3 Jap 4wd motors, I was far from fastest in the class but it gave me targets and something to work towards! Yes I spent some money, and also spent a lot of time removing weight, working on geometry setups etc etc, but I got faster, and that's what it's all about, where is the fun in just going out and being the fastest guy by a country mile? Far more fun in bettering yourself, your car and having a good duel on track!

That's me in SLS. I've had a ball over 2 years. Improved brakes a bit, handling a bit, driving a bit, knocked 7 secs off first outing lap time and still never consider winning anything. Great fun and great place to be.

Will, Im hoping the last two years stripping the car and waiting for parts will get me somewhere near you on track next year. TBH I think with the current set up, Ill still be a bit off, but thats the reason Ive carried on with the MX5 as there will still be incremental options for me to try and get a bit faster.

I look forward to finding the limits of the current set up and if appropriate progressing to the next set up.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

HummuH wrote:
arm10 wrote:
HummuH wrote:

To put one myth to bed Alex, I'm pretty sure S&S has the lowest rate of "contact" incidents out of all the SMRC series. Last big "car to car" hit I remember was when the BMW Compacts were racing in with S&S.

I agree now that you mention it but I am probably basing it on minis or compacts. Both to frantic for me

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

The Hot Hatch Series has been announced:

http://www.scottishmotorracingclub.co.uk/new_championship_for_2018.html

Think it looks good. RWD has been excluded. Everything else looks quite open.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Haven't had time to fully read the regs etc, but this defo has my attention for sure.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

crayons wrote:
The Hot Hatch Series has been announced:

http://www.scottishmotorracingclub.co.uk/new_championship_for_2018.html

Think it looks good. RWD has been excluded. Everything else looks quite open.

Looks like a pretty good starter for 10 tbh, can see that being quite popular.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm PostPost subject:
crayons
user

Just having a quick look a couple of cars from the 750MC and BRSCC championships could be entered :
Clio 182, Civic Cup, Alfa Romeo, MK2 and MK5 GTI .

If RWD even more available: MR2, Mx5 Supercup and Porsche Boxer.

Having built a car from scratch, I would advise someone looking to start out to have a look at the classifieds from these championships.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:42 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

FWD only according to the regs.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:55 pm PostPost subject:
Erik
user

MK5 Gti wouldn't be n/a either.

Things like mr2's / mx5's / boxsters would stop it being a hot 'hatch' so to speak surely?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 pm PostPost subject:
crayons
user

Erik wrote:
MK5 Gti wouldn't be n/a either.

Things like mr2's / mx5's / boxsters would stop it being a hot 'hatch' so to speak surely?

True. So 182s and civics are most appropriate.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 8 of 9

View previous topic
View next topic