Entries

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 1 of 9

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am PostPost subject: Entries
caterfield

Sports and saloons along with the classics seem to be struggling for entries.Can anything be done to get numbers up again ?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am PostPost subject:
Team Cowie
user

last year i put my thoughts to the smrc and was told to late to make changes. so if no changes are made for next year that will show just how much smrc really care about making the Sports and saloons work. i think it could be too much focus on other race entries, maybe they need someone to run the show that does not have a conection to the other race entries that run on a smrc race weekend.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:42 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

I think it's a mixture of things...

S&S isn't really promoted
When Mark stepped up as drivers rep you could see a difference in general feeling / support etc. More was publicised, there was more communication, more paddock chat etc
When Mark stepped down, there was no replacement - as far as I'm aware there was nothing done to get a replacement, but also I suppose nobody stepped up
I think the series does lack that

Also, I think people just generally move on or take a break and so there will be some years where numbers are lower from the previous year and the next year.
Adam and I are both out this year - down to one car and Adam focusing on racing the mini on SMRC weekends rather than the Impreza. Me being up the duff
Mark is out - car related
Other folk....Ian Donaldson, Charlie Shaw, Mark Robson, etc
I think a lot of it probably comes down to the fact most of the cars are pretty expensive to run and maintain (without considering big repair bills) so running year after year after year can be a bit financially draining.
There are quite a few new folk on the grid this year though

It's just really getting the new folk and the old folk out together to make the grid a bit chunkier

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:45 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

Team Cowie wrote:
last year i put my thoughts to the smrc and was told to late to make changes. so if no changes are made for next year that will show just how much smrc really care about making the Sports and saloons work. i think it could be too much focus on other race entries, maybe they need someone to run the show that does not have a conection to the other race entries that run on a smrc race weekend.

At the risk of actively encouraging a carbon copy rehash of this thread:
http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8657

Team Cowie wrote:
Here is a copy of what I sent to the SMRC on the 29th Nov I was told to late to make changes.

Hi I wanted to ask if you think the SMRC would be up for looking into changing the class structure in the sports and saloons for 2017.
To try and make it more fair to everyone that enters. At the moment having all engine sizes racing together in each class is way too one sided for the big engine cars, I have been told by a few people now that have all said the same thing that its not worth entering as the class structure is not fair, most said better off doing 2x trackdays.

I done 4 rounds last year and to be honest I felt the same way, that's why I did not do anymore because of this class problem.

I would love to see some changes to the class structure to maybe get larger grids and classes for people to run in that will give them a chance of trying to win.

Please let me know your thoughts

Keith Cowie

So fully 9 months after the last thread, has anybody actually said "we should do XYZ" or spoken to other competitors about it?

There's not actually any suggestions in that email. All it says is, in the current configuration, I'm not going to win a trophy so I'm not playing. So why not suggest how it should be divided up to make it fairer?

The Classics have. Not their drivers' rep, just a motivated competitor spoke to the club with his suggestions, the club spoke with the drivers' rep to get his opinion and garner the opinion of other competitors, looks like there's going to be some changes going ahead for it.
www.performance-spares.com

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:13 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

emicen wrote:
Team Cowie wrote:

At the risk of actively encouraging a carbon copy rehash of this thread:
http://www.trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8657

Team Cowie wrote:
Here is a copy of what I sent to the SMRC on the 29th Nov I was told to late to make changes.

Hi I wanted to ask if you think the SMRC would be up for looking into changing the class structure in the sports and saloons for 2017.
To try and make it more fair to everyone that enters. At the moment having all engine sizes racing together in each class is way too one sided for the big engine cars, I have been told by a few people now that have all said the same thing that its not worth entering as the class structure is not fair, most said better off doing 2x trackdays.

I done 4 rounds last year and to be honest I felt the same way, that's why I did not do anymore because of this class problem.

I would love to see some changes to the class structure to maybe get larger grids and classes for people to run in that will give them a chance of trying to win.

Please let me know your thoughts

Keith Cowie

So fully 9 months after the last thread, has anybody actually said "we should do XYZ" or spoken to other competitors about it?

There's not actually any suggestions in that email. All it says is, in the current configuration, I'm not going to win a trophy so I'm not playing. So why not suggest how it should be divided up to make it fairer?

The Classics have. Not their drivers' rep, just a motivated competitor spoke to the club with his suggestions, the club spoke with the drivers' rep to get his opinion and garner the opinion of other competitors, looks like there's going to be some changes going ahead for it.

I think your spot on there Malcolm and Classics is a good example.

I'm a bit out of touch with S&S now, purely because of circumstance. Whilst I still think the SMRC could and should do more to encourage entrants, it's up to the drivers to be vocal and encourage change to help a series evolve if that's what's required, benefits both sides.

The answer to the OP is yes, but somebody needs to take on that task. If everyone, SMRC included, waits around for things to happen, it will be too late.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm PostPost subject:
Ali M
user

I am thinking of what to do next year, but all rounds being at the same track puts me off. Some away rounds would make the S&S championship much more appealing.

When I last did S&S about 4 years ago I think there was one away round at Croft, which at the time I couldn't manage. Looking at NSSCC, 4 out of their 7 rounds are 'away'.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Ali M wrote:
I am thinking of what to do next year, but all rounds being at the same track puts me off. Some away rounds would make the S&S championship much more appealing.

When I last did S&S about 4 years ago I think there was one away round at Croft, which at the time I couldn't manage. Looking at NSSCC, 4 out of their 7 rounds are 'away'.

I agree that away rounds are attractive but it's a lot easier for NSSCC to do it than it is for SMRC. Even though they are north of England based, a lot of the away tracks are still "day trips" for a lot of their regular competitors.

Every away round for SMRC involves at least 1 night away from home, probably more likely 2 or 3 depending where you are based and if there's practice the day before. As a one-off each season that's fine but any more than that becomes prohibitive for most on cost.

It's worth pointing out that even when grid numbers were better and double points were on offer for the away meeting, the number of competitors who actually went to the away rounds was pretty poor.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:07 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

Ali M wrote:

Whilst it may seem a technicality, "away" isn't the best expression seeing as I'm pretty sure DDMC don't actually organise any race meetings.

Their next "home" round at Croft for example is a BRSCC event.

Historically, away rounds have always wound up costing the club money as they are less well supported than KH rounds and racing in the south costs more.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:17 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

For the sake of trying to encourage class structure discussion, I had a look at NSSCC and CNC Heads as compatible championships to see what they may be doing differently as they generally have much bigger grids:

From my uneducated view point, looks like S&S has a pretty good spread, at least on par with the others?

Another interesting comparison is the cost of racing (with respect to my comment above):

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:50 pm PostPost subject:
Ali M
user

HummuH wrote:

I agree that away rounds are attractive but it's a lot easier for NSSCC to do it than it is for SMRC. Even though they are north of England based, a lot of the away tracks are still "day trips" for a lot of their regular competitors.

Every away round for SMRC involves at least 1 night away from home, probably more likely 2 or 3 depending where you are based and if there's practice the day before. As a one-off each season that's fine but any more than that becomes prohibitive for most on cost.

It's worth pointing out that even when grid numbers were better and double points were on offer for the away meeting, the number of competitors who actually went to the away rounds was pretty poor.

Fair comments Mark, can't argue with the fact they have not been well supported and it will add to cost. However, even from Aberdeen we are away from home for the Friday and Sat evenings in a local hotel, so its mainly the extra travel time and fuel to go south of the border.

emicen wrote:
For the sake of trying to encourage class structure discussion, I had a look at NSSCC and CNC Heads as compatible championships to see what they may be doing differently as they generally have much bigger grids:

From my uneducated view point, looks like S&S has a pretty good spread, at least on par with the others?

Another interesting comparison is the cost of racing (with respect to my comment above):

I would say class structure in S&S looks pretty good now and certainly better than a few years back.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

thats looking awfy like a merger between classics and S&S, okay some classics would get 10 laps but the likes of the wee mini and suchlike would get 8 laps out of a 12 lap race. okay still the same amount of track time. Go 15 minutes plus 1 lap and it might just work. Lot of blue flagging mind

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Someone needs to step up an take a lead... steer the ship for a while.

Active in paddock/online to promote S&S... drivers need to all do the same if they want folk to race against
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

marshal-alan wrote:
thats looking awfy like a merger between classics and S&S, okay some classics would get 10 laps but the likes of the wee mini and suchlike would get 8 laps out of a 12 lap race. okay still the same amount of track time. Go 15 minutes plus 1 lap and it might just work. Lot of blue flagging mind

There's absolutely no danger of Sports & Saloons or Classics drivers being amenable to that and its not being suggested.

In the case of Classics, the suggestion was to move the age limits to later in the 80s to try and keep it in line with the 30 year old limit.

In the case of Sports & Saloons, well, we'll see what this here thread shows up.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

I think the rules allow you to race pretty much anything as it stands, one gap I kind of see from looking at the other series' regulations [more the CNC Heads tbh] is silhouette / specials. Maybe Renny can confirm how they would fit in at present, possibly a guest entry? Equally though, I've not seen any of that type of car racing in Scotland since Ingleston was still hosting races, are there any left out there looking for somewhere to play?

AK wrote:
Someone needs to step up an take a lead... steer the ship for a while.

Active in paddock/online to promote S&S... drivers need to all do the same if they want folk to race against

This is a good point. Whilst there's more to life than social media, its a pretty powerful tool these days for garnering interest.

[Before it gets said, yes I'm aware of how onerous it can be to run social media and race at the same time, I'm not always on top of it with the MINIs this year when I'm only spannering, never mind last year when I was driving as well Laughing ]

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Having bought a car to specifically do SMRC, and having managed to do precisely zero events this thread certainly rings true with me.

I have been down and watched multiple races and having seen first-hand on Sunday a circa 20 second discrepancy in lap times it is a strange spectacle.

There is much more a push on the SLS events, and whilst I don't particularly like the sprint format, I was excited about the discussions for the last event race although that's now not happening.

Whether or not the 2 series could be combined, or some more push in a co-ordinated racing series, the SLS cars in Pro, A & B added to the front running SMRC cars would certainly be a varied and interesting grid, as regards the classes I donít know if the SLS structure would necessarily work either.

Certainly worthy of some discussion anyway!

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 1 of 9

View previous topic
View next topic