top

Entries

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 2 of 9

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user


Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 589

Reply with quote

emicen wrote:
I think the rules allow you to race pretty much anything as it stands, one gap I kind of see from looking at the other series' regulations [more the CNC Heads tbh] is silhouette / specials. Maybe Renny can confirm how they would fit in at present, possibly a guest entry? Equally though, I've not seen any of that type of car racing in Scotland since Ingleston was still hosting races, are there any left out there looking for somewhere to play?



The SMRC Regs do prevent the "Space frame Specials" that are present in NSSC, as the SMRC Regs require the floorpan to remain in Saloons. However, SMRC do allow kit cars, which essentially aren't any different.

It was also good seeing Ron Cumming's car out and giving the established front running 4wd/turbo cars a good challenge. Its a pity there weren't more cars like that around as they are not too expensive to run.

Hopefully there will be more Cooper S cars next year too running in S&S.

Classics should have improved grids next year with the proposed age cut-off change, the inclusion of Fiesta XR2s and maybe some other cars of that era (when did Nova's start?). Discussions were overheard about Appendix K cars running too.

Perhaps a
_________________
Renny
MSA Scrutineer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:43 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user


Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 992
Location: Glasgow

Reply with quote

foz01 wrote:
Having bought a car to specifically do SMRC, and having managed to do precisely zero events this thread certainly rings true with me.


So as one of the cars able to be out for a play but not, how come?

Would it be fair to say there's 2 separate questions;
- why are people who have raced before, not anymore?
- how do we encourage people who haven't raced before, to give it a go?
_________________
06 320Cd MSport - daily
94 ST205 Celica GTFour - weekender
www.mcnab-racing.co.uk
www.performance-spares.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 19971
Location: Aberdeen

Reply with quote

IMO its not the top end cars you want/need... they are too costly... too fragile... they are great to watch but trying to catch them in terms of power/spending can easy snowball.

I'd consider our impreza a decent class A car but its lacking at least 200hp to keep up with others lol


It's the low/mid level cars that are required to fatten the grid. Hot hatches, mild saloons... the cars are out there.
That SLS race isn't shit-canned... just delayed till 2018. Its very much geared at getting folk in SLS to take the next step
_________________
Impreza Race Car - SLS/SMRC
Mini Race Car - SMRC
911 - 1981 Air Cooled 3.0
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 1322
Location: Location, Location.

Reply with quote

emicen wrote:
foz01 wrote:
Having bought a car to specifically do SMRC, and having managed to do precisely zero events this thread certainly rings true with me.


So as one of the cars able to be out for a play but not, how come?

Would it be fair to say there's 2 separate questions;
- why are people who have raced before, not anymore?
- how do we encourage people who haven't raced before, to give it a go?


This year for me its been work, away from home on a brutal rota.

Equally there has been zero encouragement, promotion, active marketing or any drive to get new entrants from what I can see...
_________________
Motorsport Exige Project Thread
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:54 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 552

Reply with quote

AK wrote:



It's the low/mid level cars that are required to fatten the grid. Hot hatches, mild saloons... the cars are out there.
That SLS race isn't shit-canned... just delayed till 2018. Its very much geared at getting folk in SLS to take the next step


I have been saying that for years, clios, fast fiestas, seat cupras is what S&S should be about not the 700 brake cars. Again if nobody is getting out there talking to drivers and potential drivers they wont come to you. There should be smrc reps at sls, sprints, hillclimbs selling the smrc
_________________
Race marshal found at knockhill and anywhere lunatics crash

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:00 pm PostPost subject:
Ali M
user


Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Posts: 190

Reply with quote

Imo, I don't think the numbers have much to do with promotion, a driver rep, facebook etc.

Yeah, if your already in then those things are nice, but at the end of the day it comes down to money and time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm PostPost subject:
crayons
user


Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 136
Location: Aberdeen

Reply with quote

More cars with similar performance to the cooper s would be good, a 60s lap only means dropping 1 lap. Only thing that is if the R53s weren't in there own cup they would fall under B1 on road tyres and A2 on slicks which are 2-3s (B1) or 4-5s (A1) up the road, meaning there is no realistic chance of a class win.

Ill be hoping to compete next year in a turbocharged 1600 MX5 along with another ex MX5 Cup racer, will soon find (Next TS track day)out if I can get anywhere near the 57s lap required to be up with the B1 folk. Thats why the SLS race has caught my attention.

The engine size class structure doesn't really fit the newer generation of hot hatch which have lower capacity FI engines.

Ive done enough moaning Razz, just looking forward to seeing the result of my work over the past 2 years .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user


Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 992
Location: Glasgow

Reply with quote

crayons wrote:
More cars with similar performance to the cooper s would be good, a 60s lap only means dropping 1 lap. Only thing that is if the R53s weren't in there own cup they would fall under B1 on road tyres and A2 on slicks which are 2-3s (B1) or 4-5s (A1) up the road, meaning there is no realistic chance of a class win.

Ill be hoping to compete next year in a turbocharged 1600 MX5 along with another ex MX5 Cup racer, will soon find (Next TS track day)out if I can get anywhere near the 57s lap required to be up with the B1 folk. Thats why the SLS race has caught my attention.

The engine size class structure doesn't really fit the newer generation of hot hatch which have lower capacity FI engines.

Ive done enough moaning Razz, just looking forward to seeing the result of my work over the past 2 years .


The R53's have their own Cup because they're trying to generate a 1 make series with a longer term view to their own grid. Similar to how the Compacts were embraced, they've started in S&S as there is space and they add some racing in to the mix. It should also be borne in mind, it's first season of the car's running and the spec is under development. Again, a motivated team of drivers and car builders are working away to increase the numbers in the grid and make them faster for next year.

With respect to forced induction engines and capacity based classes, that's driven by the blue book:

"J5.4.1. If forced induction is used, the coefficient will be 1.7:1. unless stated otherwise in Specific Technical Regulations or SRs."

I think its important to have a home for the batshit fast stuff as well, maybe I'm being nostalgic but hark back to some of the machines that used to race at Ingleston back in the day.
_________________
06 320Cd MSport - daily
94 ST205 Celica GTFour - weekender
www.mcnab-racing.co.uk
www.performance-spares.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 pm PostPost subject:
WRobson
newbie


Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Location: Fochabers

Reply with quote

I am almost finished building a second Focus for racing, it will be similar spec to what I started with 3year ago (370bhp/~1200kg dry) and not as noisy as mine is now lol. I have a pilot for it too however he is an oil worker who spends months away at a time so I don't know how many outings it will get alongside mine!

I'd love to see more entrants returning/joining S&S, I just love a race, some races can be lonely if you are too slow for the fast guys and too fast for the slow guys, so you end up smashing kerbs for cool photos lol.

I like the sound of the SLS race series coming in next year, however I'm not a fan of the sprint format that I'd have to partake in also, I'd rather race a car than my own headlights!

I really don't know what's needed, it's not like S&S is alone, the other series' have taken a hit in numbers also.
More promotion should help, and maybe more bigger car shows/events would attract more of an audience, that's something SLS has right, they always have a big turnout! We just need some SLS guys to make the jump to real racing too maybe!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm PostPost subject:
superali
newbie


Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 2

Reply with quote

ok ,ive been a racing member of smrc since the early 90s and graduated from going to hot hatch days and the like ,why isn't there any promotion
of the smrc at these events? im sure there must be guys that want to take it to the next level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:20 pm PostPost subject:
superali
newbie


Joined: 13 Sep 2017
Posts: 2

Reply with quote

scottish scrutineer wrote:
emicen wrote:
I think the rules allow you to race pretty much anything as it stands, one gap I kind of see from looking at the other series' regulations [more the CNC Heads tbh] is silhouette / specials. Maybe Renny can confirm how they would fit in at present, possibly a guest entry? Equally though, I've not seen any of that type of car racing in Scotland since Ingleston was still hosting races, are there any left out there looking for somewhere to play?



The SMRC Regs do prevent the "Space frame Specials" that are present in NSSC, as the SMRC Regs require the floorpan to remain in Saloons. However, SMRC do allow kit cars, which essentially aren't any different.

It was also good seeing Ron Cumming's car out and giving the established front running 4wd/turbo cars a good challenge. Its a pity there weren't more cars like that around as they are not too expensive to run.

Hopefully there will be more Cooper S cars next year too running in S&S.

Classics should have improved grids next year with the proposed age cut-off change, the inclusion of Fiesta XR2s and maybe some other cars of that era (when did Nova's start?). Discussions were overheard about Appendix K cars running too.

Perhaps a

these "space frame special" cars are still out there , I know !
why have they been prevented from racing ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm PostPost subject:
YumYumTurbo
newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 46
Location: Glasgow

Reply with quote

I had proposed having clios added into this, managed to gather a decent amount of serious interest but nothing came of it.

Looks like there will be a new hot hatch race series set up similar to Combe, classes set up into engine size. Clios won't be able to compete against other 2000cc so everyone lost interest.

The clios added in we wanted it to be set up the same as sls (power/weight) with 2 classes, 1 modified and 1 with limited mods.

Reckon we would of had a minimum of 5/6 cars for defo in modified then same for the limited class.

The new hot hatch series will be whoever has deepest pockets will have bigger chance of winning whereas the power/weight set up seems to work well as it has done in sls.

I did consider doing the minis but it's carnage 😂

Will most likely be sls next year for me if I can get car built and enough seat time.

Proposed classes:

Class A:

Power/Weight 150whp per tonne
- Tyres - list 1 a/b
- Suspension - open
- Brakes - std calipers, discs n pads open
- Safety - full cage, Extinguisher, Seats/harnesses, HANS device.

Class B:

Same as above except suspension and below stated mods.
- Cup shocks
- Cooksport springs
- No diff
- No rc kit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 19971
Location: Aberdeen

Reply with quote

Yumen - Why wouldnt Clios be able to compete with other 2000cc cars?

I do like the Power/Weight setup, and we suggested this for SLS back in the day after years of being frustrated that you 'needed' XXXbhp to even stand a chance. It shouldn't be all about power!

HotHatch class in Sports n Saloons could work well, but isnt it already there? Class B3 - 2wd upto 2000cc non turbo.

The classes are quite general so open to catching a wide variety... this is needed with a fairly small grid.
_________________
Impreza Race Car - SLS/SMRC
Mini Race Car - SMRC
911 - 1981 Air Cooled 3.0
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm PostPost subject:
WRobson
newbie


Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Location: Fochabers

Reply with quote

Yeh surely clios would be in B3, and if there were a handful of them then good chance of close racing between them, there's also Andrew in his BMW 318 who does 62's I think, and then the minis that do 59's.

I'm sorry I don't know what the clios do!

And don't forget S&S championship points system is worked off class rather than overall position at the finish!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 pm PostPost subject:
frazjam
newbie


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Location: Glenrothes, Fife

Reply with quote

Clio driver here

Thought about this for a couple of years, opted for SLS due to the cheaper and more evenly matched nature but I'm dying for competitive racing rather than against the clock.

Only reason I haven't made a jump up being that there is nearly no cars doing similar times to race against, so it would just be an expensive trackday.

I'm doing 60/61 second laps, the cooper S are just ahead and only going to get faster. If a decent group of cars doing a similar time was there I would be keen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 2 of 9

View previous topic
View next topic
Display posts from previous:   




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum