SLS Round 3/4 Double Header - 8/9th July

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:16 am PostPost subject:
Gordonehay

I'll be up at Knockhill from 14:00 on Friday 7th

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:40 am PostPost subject:
Riggers

I'll be there trying like fook to get a bit revenge Laughing
2017 SLS CLASS B CHAMPION

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:45 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

s2t wrote:
Renny will you be scrutineering Friday afternoon/evening

There will be some appointments on Friday afternoon and evening. Still to finalise times, but Gordon and I will be there.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 pm PostPost subject:
Mr B
user

Any timetable for next weekend yet?

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:16 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

Will get one from Rory

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:02 pm PostPost subject:
Mr B
user

Fee wrote:
Will get one from Rory

Got it in post today

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Thumbs Up

What class you in Paul?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 pm PostPost subject:
Arch
user

Are there any times slots for Friday Scrutineering

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Time Tables

Round 3 - Sat 8th July

Round 4 - Sun 9th July

Will check about scrutineering.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:53 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

RE: SCRUTINEERING - Yes the guys will be at Knockhill from 14.00 until the evening (19.00 or 20.00).

Competitors can pre-book by contacting scrutineer@superlapscotland.co.uk
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:16 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

AK wrote:
RE: SCRUTINEERING - Yes the guys will be at Knockhill from 14.00 until the evening (19.00 or 20.00).

Competitors can pre-book by contacting scrutineer@superlapscotland.co.uk

No pre-booking I'm afraid.
Priority will be given to the Race Series cars for Scrutineering as they are out first. We have a very small number of Scrutineers on Friday & Saturday. If we can, there may be separate lanes in the Bay for SLS and Race cars.
There will be no availability of weigh scales during pre-event Scrutineering.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:36 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Link for live timing http://www.smart-timing.co.uk/Live%20Timing.htm
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:52 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

great weekend guys. I'm pooped!

Some vids on the way. Not sure what happened on Sat but annoyingly dont have vid from final!
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:22 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Been busy busy all weekend and haven't had a chance to see much coverage of this weekends stuff - how did Andy Forrest's car go?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

SLS Round 3 & 4 Report:

A few wee changes to the car but mostly a known car and track. So knew what to expect. Didnt know what to expect from George Rigby with wider tyres and less weight Smile

Following on from Round 2, and the quest to reduce understeer we reduced the front camber and upped the rear compression a touch (in dry anyway).
The front splitter mounts were now proven, so I added some lightness and more than halved the weight. Next would be to get a thicker/lighter splitter, and lower it further, with diffuser sections infront of the wheels Very Happy
New front wings with arch top vents, and rear cut aways to help vent air out of the arch and reduce lift.
No changes to the cannards - just repairs! Still not made the moulds for them... they are the bucks!
I was struggling with gears last time out too, so some alterations were made by Simon at MB Garage services with some advice from Steven Darley. Wiring niggles and random cuts/missfires sorted by Matty at MB Garage Services with some work on the ECU pins.

Round 3 -

Warmup - As always I like to go out fast and get my head in the right place ASAP, with the format of the final a priority. First hot lap was a 55.6. Decent enough but not amazing.... sat in the pits for a wee while then went out for a second lap - 54.8. I was happy enough with that so just parked it before the session end. 2 individual hot laps with cool tyres, on the old tyres. George Rigby had gone out in Grp2 (i should have too... ) and was mid 56. I didnt know this 'till later Laughing

Practice - Nothing to report. Scrubbed new tyres. Out lap - slow lap - in lap. Prob not enough to heat them properly with hindsight. George set a new PB with a 55.0. John was nice enough to take some pics of the wool tufts on the new front aero... and some areas looked a bit turbulant - hence the penguin taped brake ducts. You dont need brake cooling for SLS!!

Bit turbulent near ducts

Qualifying - Again - I aim to do it with one lap first out of the pits to simulate the final. No point hammering the car/tyres/brakes. Lap 1 felt decent but not pushing too much. 54.8. Knew it was going to be close but sat in the pits after that 1 lap. ~5mins to go and George passed the line with a 54.6 - BUGGER! Out I go... out lap then on it. Lap felt good until the exit of McIntyres Sad I'd been playing with different gears on this corner (off the back of things I'm trying with the mini - slower in, faster out). I think i reverted back to old habits and held fourth and just slid wide (4th still has enough grunt/response to get the rear out on the exit... but it just washed wide). Held it on the power through the gravel and grass and had a crap duffus but still managed a 54.9. After this it was game over. Head gone, donkey kong driving again Very Happy

Wool tufts also looked a lot more stable now

1-0 to George Sad 54.6 to my 54.8

All 4 laps from Qualy - 1 hot lap. 3 scrappy laps after Georges lap. - https://youtu.be/RjM8AhJDxqU

The lap with the off at McIntyres - https://youtu.be/jef7ws4tm6U

Final - I dont mind the format, and seem to be the only person in the paddock that beasts the brakes....

Nice clean exit over Duffus, later on the brakes at the Hairpin using more engine braking than before, later apex and much cleaner exit. Later on the brakes and a little wiggle into clarks - by this point I knew it was a decent lap and was 0.4 up on the reference lap we use for reverse (the 53.7s lap the car did with Steven Darley back in year 1 - 2014). I made a conscious decision to try and keep it clean from here... with the later half of the lap being a bit slower than I can normaly do - but a hell of a lot cleaner. Maybe there is something in being smooth after all!

Over the line and shouted some stuff in the car. I was happy with the lap - new PB and very little drama. Now just had to wait about 90s to find out what George did. Thumbs up on pit entry - YES! Great end to the day that could have gone either way. Sadly George didnt set a representative laptime due to a fuel cockup. I'll still say it though - I should be going quicker LOL

No video sadly Sad Fee took a picture of the cage instead LOL

1-1 with George.

Round 4 -

Prep started after a beer on Sat eve...

I had a feeling the brakes were binding as the car just wasnt rolling freely in the pits, so a strip down of the pads and an inspection of the brakes showed the lower 2 pistons on both outer front caliper halfs werent moving that freely. Gave them a clean up in/out a few times. Nothing major it would seem. Bled the brakes, re-secured the inner rear NS CV boot again. Fueled... tyres changed back to old - track walk - sausages/beer/bed.

Warmup -

Again - the aim was to do 1 hot lap straight out of the pits. The lap felt good but the dash said 56.9... WTF! That wasn't to plan. The brakes werent great (lube!!!) but nothing really wrong. Did a cool lap then went again - 55.4. Good enough, so came in and then just parked it after the reds came out. Nothing special, but the car was as expected.

Practice - Raining..... Cleaned the discs with some 'borrowed' brake cleaner from John Stevenson Very Happy
I dont mind the wet, but I also knew that George doesnt mind the wet. Went out to just get a feel for the track on worn old tyres. Yup... corners still there Very Happy 60.2s lap... and repeatable. Felt ok. 0.3 in front of George.

Qualifying - I did NOT want to get beaten again. I hate it... Usual plan, out first (Paul Rankin had been a cheeky monkey and got there first!! Razz)... passed Paul after Chicane (he moved over as we discussed) then on to hot lap. Its always a bit of a trip into the unknown on an initial hot lap like this (damp and greasy track) but it is what you'll have in the final so I feel its the best way to go. First lap out of the pits = 58.4. I think thats what I would class as a new PB in these conditions. Cool lap (but very sideways at duffus... and visible oil drops on track) Into pits and had a chat with the boss. Some cars were starting to go quicker so made the decision to go again to cover George who had also dropped down into 58s just a tiny bit behind my time (he was still on track). Decent lap with a massive slide at Chicane - 58.2... it was pretty damn slippy though.

P1 again, 58.2 to George's 58.4. Yeehaa!

Vid - https://youtu.be/E8KexGdN_nA

Slide at Chicane.... lost at butchers... https://youtu.be/bBbPIxt8sNk

Final - Pissing down and thick mist.... rain light on, heated screen on, headlights on. This is what the SLS double headers are about.... same track but 2 totally different events in one weekend. Great test.

Usual 'slow' out lap and made a bit of a hash of the hairpin exit LOL tried 2nd but just didnt get the front straight enough so ended further up the road than normal, slower than normal, a gear down, later on the power and a bit worried about a massive rear out moment. Kept it composed, and clean for the most part. Little oversteer with 3rd at McIntyres, DAFT early turn in at Clarks, and stable on the brakes and on exit for hairpin. Dash said 60.2 so knew it was going to be close either way... another agonising trundle round to the pits and thumbs up again Very Happy 2 wins. Bloody hard work with George though.... just 0.3 behind again.

Vid - https://youtu.be/bDbGtBhjwlA

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic