Race of Remembrance

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

That car was driven very hard in all sessions from what I saw... we did a few things well in avoiding using our car too much, and trying to reduce the pace down from typical sprint race stuff.

Hindsight - yes, we could have had better 1 lap pace but would the car made it as long. Even in that last stint I was using 3rd on certain corners that prob would have benefited from the drive out of the corner in 2nd
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Lowell, David, mark - what did you find to be the biggest challenge over the weekend?

For me.... I think it was trying to be consistent with lap times whilst working within the car. I think we could (with hindsight and more experience of track/race) pushed a little more on Saturday.

Iím not sure Iíd choose a relay team over single car... it takes away a big challenge and the fun/pressure of the pit stops.

With the right Gearbox I think a mini could easily push into the high 1:40s. Even with the midland and fresh tyres I think it is possible with a less sympathetic approach.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

AK wrote:
Lowell, David, mark - what did you find to be the biggest challenge over the weekend?

For me.... I think it was trying to be consistent with lap times whilst working within the car. I think we could (with hindsight and more experience of track/race) pushed a little more on Saturday.

Iím not sure Iíd choose a relay team over single car... it takes away a big challenge and the fun/pressure of the pit stops.

With the right Gearbox I think a mini could easily push into the high 1:40s. Even with the midland and fresh tyres I think it is possible with a less sympathetic approach.

For me personally the switch to learn how to drive a FWD car on the limit was the biggest challenge, but when it clicked it clicked big time, especially in the wet! Amazingly I never spun the car considering the changing conditions and the night driving etc.

I think finding a bit more pace at 8/10thís is the way to go, and being able to measure that pace to hold a gap for example, getting hung up on fastest lap is a distraction, bar the bragging rights its irrelevant . Getting all drivers closer together (taking into account the constantly changing conditions and setup preference) is where the gains are. The Italian MX5 team were all pretty consistent for example, one of the guys in the S1 exige was 8 seconds a lap quicker than the other drivers- hence the fastest lap and pole time, but in a shared endurance race that doesnít help anyone and they were not sharing data so I discovered...

Watching the video of the run to the finish its clear the car was being driven as hard if not harder than at any point in the race, certainly harder than I ever drove it. Being able to drive at 10/10thís isnít sustainable for hour+ stints for car and driver & will also destroy tyres, quickly, the difference going on tyres that have already done over 2/3 hard hours was remarkable!

Having the radio and the strategic benefit that brings was a revelation as well- Just donít tell Mark to drive faster :p its probably more beneficial to tell people to wind it back and save the car!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

That last stint was 8/10 Very Happy I think if giving it death Iíd be in second more round the back bit.... and at least 1sec quicker. Car was already jumping out of second though lol

Even just experience of the circuit will take a chunk of time off overall time I think. I was still finding better lines at the end!

Big area we should look to improve on is not losing time in traffic... get passed ASAP and let cars pass in a way that doesnít cost too much.

I lost the rear once but caught it half way.... again just taking it too easy I think and not committed enough
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Last edited by AK on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

foz01 wrote:
Having the radio and the strategic benefit that brings was a revelation as well- Just donít tell Mark to drive faster :p its probably more beneficial to tell people to wind it back and save the car!

Wasn't me that got that call Very Happy

AK wrote:

Nothing tbh. Racing at night was different and the lack of perception of distance between you and cars behind took a bit of adjustment but by no means overly challenging.

Adjusting the stints/timings mid-race to suit whats happening is quite mentally challenging but adds a bit of adrenaline too, so not a challenge as such.

AK wrote:

Nor would I, single car adds to the overall experience and pit stops rule.

AK wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed from watching the video's that there's a bit that could be done to lift some stress on the car, gearbox in particular. We can discuss that in a private forum!

On the whole, the entire experience was epic and with what we know now we could be very competitive in that class. With a few tweaks to ratios, some through on tyres and more suitable fuel tank, if we do it again next year we should be targeting a strong finish.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

foz01 wrote:
AK wrote:

For me personally the switch to learn how to drive a FWD car on the limit was the biggest challenge, but when it clicked it clicked big time, especially in the wet! Amazingly I never spun the car considering the changing conditions and the night driving etc.

I think finding a bit more pace at 8/10thís is the way to go, and being able to measure that pace to hold a gap for example, getting hung up on fastest lap is a distraction, bar the bragging rights its irrelevant . Getting all drivers closer together (taking into account the constantly changing conditions and setup preference) is where the gains are. The Italian MX5 team were all pretty consistent for example, one of the guys in the S1 exige was 8 seconds a lap quicker than the other drivers- hence the fastest lap and pole time, but in a shared endurance race that doesnít help anyone and they were not sharing data so I discovered...

Watching the video of the run to the finish its clear the car was being driven as hard if not harder than at any point in the race, certainly harder than I ever drove it. Being able to drive at 10/10thís isnít sustainable for hour+ stints for car and driver & will also destroy tyres, quickly, the difference going on tyres that have already done over 2/3 hard hours was remarkable!

I'd agree with most of of what Lowell said. After all the mechanical issues, and losing free practice, there was very little at stake on Saturday other than to give it a go. Expectations were low, and with the relaxed atmosphere we all did better than expected. I wasn't unhappy with my lap times, in fact, that was probably the most enjoyable driving I've ever done. But with more free practice in your car I'm sure there would have been an improvement by all of us.

Sunday was different. It all became a little more serious , and the wet didn't 'click' with me. I understood what I needed to do, it was just the risk of experimenting during the race didn't add up for me, and my cautious nature won over. It was my first ever wet session in a Mini and in hindsight I think 'the team' should have been a little more ruthless and pulled me in earlier. Analysing it further, I think the strategic use of drivers needs to be part of the plan. I know we're paying for our three hours, but I'd of rather taken home a bit of tank track than done 30 minutes of driving. But next time I would make sure that practice and coaching was part of the build-up.

There no doubt that doing it again would result in a more 'competitive package' but I think understanding weaknesses and strengths is the key. Our strengths could be a well prep'd car with quick drivers, our weaknesses . . .well there shouldn't be any!
Duratec in Detail

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

I will gladly do night or wet stints, wet night stints must be even more awesome Laughing

The wet makes the driving more fun as it moving around adds to the relative lack of grunt so you can overdrive it Smile

Mark, I know that radio call never came it was the don't even think about making that call cos it won't make me go any fkn quicker Laughing

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

foz01 wrote:
I will gladly do night or wet stints, wet night stints must be even more awesome Laughing

The wet makes the driving more fun as it moving around adds to the relative lack of grunt so you can overdrive it Smile

Mark, I know that radio call never came it was the don't even think about making that call cos it won't make me go any fkn quicker Laughing

To be fair, there was still a bit in it. Before the fuel ran low I was hitting 1.53.1/2 and that was with the front left giving up on life but there was still time to be had in Turn 2 (1st hairpin) and Turn 7 (Seamans - that horrible off-camber left hander).

It's quite easy to slip into a rhythm, not bad to get a call like that to sharpen the senses sometimes, just depends how the message is delivered Very Happy

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Agreed, I always drive quicker when I see i am catching something, need to borrow some of "banzai" Kindness hard from the first corner....

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Do a mini race..... it gets you used to close racing lol
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Did this go through the night or start on Sat then restart on Sun - if so how did they restart it?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Start 3pm on sat.... stop 9pm sat

Restart under Ďsafety carí start on sun morning 9am.... in the track order you finished sat eve
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

https://drivetribe.com/p/race-of-remembrance-2017-OwN7J5nVTkWIAv7QBIAmyg?iid=PoDyt-3JT9-gQZnYg2UkZQ
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

some interesting comments here - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=42&t=1697551&i=0
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

more pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwbphotog/albums/72157689272123674/page1
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

View previous topic
View next topic