TrackScotland @ Knockhill 2hr - Thursday 22nd June 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Good night, spent lots of time sorting multiple niggles, changed geo, ride height, brake pads, some further work on the splitter required as it clearly needs to be much strengthened as was causing all sorts of problems over the crest on the main straight!Shocked

My first real experience of unwanted aero effect, and trust me it feels horrendous!

Apologies if I was holding people up!

More development required, oh and I ran out of fuel, the gauge was showing 7l when i ran out so i need to get that sorted, its a thirsty beast, probaly eats 1l a lap! Embarassed

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

foz01 wrote:
Good night, spent lots of time sorting multiple niggles, changed geo, ride height, brake pads, some further work on the splitter required as it clearly needs to be much strengthened as was causing all sorts of problems over the crest on the main straight!Shocked

My first real experience of unwanted aero effect, and trust me it feels horrendous!

Apologies if I was holding people up!

More development required, oh and I ran out of fuel, the gauge was showing 7l when i ran out so i need to get that sorted, its a thirsty beast, probaly eats 1l a lap! Embarassed

Looked like you were having fun trying to get the thing off the line at the green light a few times Laughing

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

At least one stall! Sequential is great when in track but starting and around the paddock it's shite! Very Happy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:47 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

Should have been a great night but wasn't. Sorry if I was a nuisance on track. Spent most of the night running on the inside. Horrendous brake vibration on new pads and 2 outing discs. Having discs skimmed today so let's hope it is better for sls. SLS season has been plagued with brake issue so might go back to cheap yellowstuff at 1 set an outing--last season was better than this having spent over 2k.
Thanks to Adam and Fee for organising

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:22 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

foz01 wrote:
its a thirsty beast, probaly eats 1l a lap! Embarassed

If you're only guzzling 1l a lap its very frugle Very Happy or you are coasting a lot Very Happy

Wait till you get to grips with it and try man boost Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 pm PostPost subject:
stuartjdm
user

Great night amazing how much speed you gather towards the hairpin. Got the chicane wrong to begin with,surprised the red post made it through the night.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:35 am PostPost subject:
jockthedog
established user

stuartjdm wrote:
Great night amazing how much speed you gather towards the hairpin. Got the chicane wrong to begin with,surprised the red post made it through the night.

I was out for the very first two laps, before they pulled us in to replace the big grey tyre bollard thing at the chicane with the skinny wee red post.
I laughed my headoff when I saw what they'd done and spent the rest of the night trying to touch the post on the way past.

Had a great time, with one of my golfing pals in the passenger seat.

Thanks for organising, guys!

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

Big fat fail from me - the car managed 3 laps before it suddenly died and resolutely refused to restart.

With so much new wiring (and some temporary chocolate box connectors), I was convinced it must've been my workmanship, and spent the entire rest of the session working through it all with a multi-meter (but found nothing wrong).
It was a bit of a kick in the balls after working so hard earlier in the week to get the car all ready.
Once home, and with the benefit of the laptop, it turns out it was coil-pack failure, so nothing I could've done about it on the evening anyway.
Just glad I brought the trailer, and didn't need to put a call in to Mr.AA.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:28 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Another test session for me, ended up changing loads of stuff including ride height, also realising just how thirsty this thing is:beer

Loads more seat time required plus additional work on the front splitter to make it stronger!

Concerned the gearing is too low as well but the splitter issues meant it wasn't nice high up in 5th..

I just adore the looks of this thing though!

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Hows the handling and braking now? (Compared to first time out)

Car looks to be moving around in the pics so thats a start... the susp must havbe some give Very Happy Full soft?

As mentioned - gearing does sound a bit suspect. Almost positive you're not hitting the stated VMAX. Have you checked your ECU logs for speeds, or did you have your phone GPS working? Failry simple fix.... open the rear diff, find the ratio... do some calcs. Adjust the FD

Splitter - I wont say I told you so..... but all the things you were mentioning about mine seem to be the issues with yours Laughing I've had to rebuild/replace fuckknows how many splitters over the last 10years that its almost autopilot now. Still need a few changes on mine but as always its time that is the issue (weight and angle being the main things). Splitters are prob one thing that I always try to do myself... as I just find that someone who doesnt drive the car cant appreciate the abuse it takes and therefor the strength it needs to have.

Good test is standing on it... front lip
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Handling doesn't seem as nice as the old yellow one, although only driven it reverse direction and I really ain't a fan, still really not had the chance to lean on it, learning the handling would be easier were it not for the Niggles..

The sheer grunt of the thing is also pretty eye opening Laughing

Must be about the middle for bump and rebound now, raised the front about 15mm to reduce the rake and try and ride kerbs a bit easier.

Regards the splitter, parts were arriving at lunchtime on the Thursday and it was all changed to be mounted to the car as opposed the clam, bit more development required there, the last one I wasn't having issues with.

As for the gearing, I will out up the details in the projects section

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Aye, simple B&Q 12-18mm ply is a good disposable material to use until you get the design right.

I've left a few of them in the bins at KH before Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic