Nurburgring

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 am PostPost subject: Nurburgring
badal

I'm going to Nurburgring on Friday - its my first time.
Any advice?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:56 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Dont stack it!

I've 'Never Been' so cant offer any advice really.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Treat it like a quick B road..

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am PostPost subject:
badal

foz01 wrote:
Treat it like a quick B road..

Getting quite apprehensive now as the weekend approaches - that's good advice, thanks

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:25 pm PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

We went a few years ago and did a few laps (nothing serious). My advice would be:

Don't go with the intent of hitting any specific time and certainly dont have that time visible in the car (we checked ours from a dashcam ages afterwards)
Dont try to give it 10/10ths, you WILL make a mistake (or ten) so treat it like a quick B road and enjoy the atmosphere of the whole place (which is incredible). I got completely lost less than half way round.
Keep an eye in your mirrors. There will be a lot of faster traffic and the closing speeds will be unlike anything you've tried before.
Likewise, unlike a trackday, be prepared to exit a bend and find a bus/landrover/whatever going considerably slower than you.
Dont stack it, insurance is complex and the costs are eye-watering.

That said, we stayed for a couple of days, did a couple of laps for the sake of having done it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd love to go back, but oddly not necessarily to drive the track. It's just a fantastic place.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

The costs for damage to the barriers, recovery etc are ridiculous. Puts me off even going. Robbing bastards!

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:18 am PostPost subject:
badal

alistairolsen wrote:
We went a few years ago and did a few laps (nothing serious). My advice would be:

Don't go with the intent of hitting any specific time and certainly dont have that time visible in the car (we checked ours from a dashcam ages afterwards)
Dont try to give it 10/10ths, you WILL make a mistake (or ten) so treat it like a quick B road and enjoy the atmosphere of the whole place (which is incredible). I got completely lost less than half way round.
Keep an eye in your mirrors. There will be a lot of faster traffic and the closing speeds will be unlike anything you've tried before.
Likewise, unlike a trackday, be prepared to exit a bend and find a bus/landrover/whatever going considerably slower than you.
Dont stack it, insurance is complex and the costs are eye-watering.

That said, we stayed for a couple of days, did a couple of laps for the sake of having done it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd love to go back, but oddly not necessarily to drive the track. It's just a fantastic place.

Ive been trying to get there for years and so its become a real quest for me to make it happen. I'm going in a small group with a shared car so keeping the car good is in everyones interest.
Times are of no interest to me - I just want the experience - and I certainly dont want to end up as a feature on youtube!
Thanks for the sound advice - hope the sun shines this weekend!

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 am PostPost subject:
rstoughy

As said dont crash!! lol
Barriers and recovery are very very but sounds like you know that.

Mirrors Mirrors Mirrors, Use them.....alot. On a TF days they WILL come up the inside of you on a corner.

Get out there and do some nice smooth casual laps, do maybe 2 or 3 then come in and let it all sink in.
Get back out there and do the same again and it will start to come to you.

Make sure the car is tip top and regardless of what you think, if the gauges are telling you something aint right get off the track in a safe place and stop. Last thing you want to be responsible for is a biker coming off, they usually end up worst case and if its because of your coolant or the likes then you are in deep deep doodoo.

Its all a bit scarey but be cautious and dont be a hero and you will love it. Car park and surrounding area is track car heaven so if GT3 RS's and tricked out M3's are your thing then take tissues.....lol.

We go every year however this year is the 1st in a long time we have not booked up. Just too much going on.

Enjoy and I look forward to the report upon your return coffee

Enjoy broom broom

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:48 am PostPost subject:
badal

rstoughy wrote:
As said dont crash!! lol
Barriers and recovery are very very but sounds like you know that.

Mirrors Mirrors Mirrors, Use them.....alot. On a TF days they WILL come up the inside of you on a corner.

Get out there and do some nice smooth casual laps, do maybe 2 or 3 then come in and let it all sink in.
Get back out there and do the same again and it will start to come to you.

Make sure the car is tip top and regardless of what you think, if the gauges are telling you something aint right get off the track in a safe place and stop. Last thing you want to be responsible for is a biker coming off, they usually end up worst case and if its because of your coolant or the likes then you are in deep deep doodoo.

Its all a bit scarey but be cautious and dont be a hero and you will love it. Car park and surrounding area is track car heaven so if GT3 RS's and tricked out M3's are your thing then take tissues.....lol.

We go every year however this year is the 1st in a long time we have not booked up. Just too much going on.

Enjoy and I look forward to the report upon your return coffee

Enjoy broom broom

Thanks you Paul - As its a Bank Holiday, I reckon it will be pretty busy but I dont know if that a good thing or not. Anyhow I'll report back on our experience next week.
Roll on Friday!

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm PostPost subject:
rstoughy

badal wrote:
As its a Bank Holiday, I reckon it will be pretty busy but I dont know if that a good thing or not.

Thats a BAD thing!!! lol
If the weather is good it will be packed!!!
Get yourself to the track early and try and get those laps in before the torrent of red flags start.

Remember take it nice and easy and you can always go back next year and improve.

Get a table booked in the Tiergarten (Pistenklaus) in Nurburg ASAP before you even get there for the Steak on a stone. Another favorite with us is Pinocchios down in Adenau for some italian food. Again you will need to book.
Depending where you are staying you will need a taxi to get between both locations. They are pretty limited as you are in the mountains but deffo book one and get involved in the beer.

Have a blast broom broom

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 pm PostPost subject:
Matty.H
user

I went for the first time last year. Was on a stag do, turned out most of the lads that could go were petrol heads, and ironically flights/accommodation worked out about the same as the train/accommodation to Manchester.

My advice to you would have been to buy a cheap games console and learn the track as it's massive, only with repeated visits I think will you know where on the track you are and what's coming up next. As you're off at the end of the week that's maybe not much use to you now. I was lucky, three of the guys we went with had been several times before and provided to be invaluable, acting as co-drivers to all the rest of us who'd not been before. They were also proper pilots, so even the passenger laps with them driving were epic.

Don't think about the what ifs, just watch your mirrors and have fun. Recovery costs are mental, but you've the same risks on binning your car at a track day. Don't go chasing times, instead try and pick up the track layout. When I was passenger I would concentrate on this and try and pre-empt the next part of the track which should help you the next time you're driving.

That said the place is epic. The tracks really fast at bits so as said watch out for faster cars coming at you from both sides. I would say that track etiquette willl depend on who's in the other driving seat, but some of the bits are proper quick so if you've committed to it just hold your line till you can get out of the way.

Car parks full of GTRs, track focused E46 & E92 M3s, GT3 & GT4s. You'll spot the locals, tatty looking older beemers but with all the trick bits on it

As said the steak on the hot stone is good, awesome place with great memorabilia and the pizzas at Pinocchios are massive.

It's an awesome experience

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 am PostPost subject:
razzele
user

Skip the track and just go straight to Pinocchios, XXL pizza and Beer!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am PostPost subject:
rstoughy

razzele wrote:
Skip the track and just go straight to Pinocchios, XXL pizza and Beer!

Lol
I have a strict rule.

Nurburgring + sun = track fun
Nurburgring + rain = beer / food Very Happy

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 pm PostPost subject:
badal

Thanks to everyone - all sound advice and really appreciated. Hopefully this will be the first of many visits

Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 am PostPost subject:
badal

Returned yesterday from a truly brilliant trip - Fantastic track which will take many many laps to learn!
Not sure about tourist days though - as a group of five sharing a car, we only managed to get 17 laps in over the day and a half we were there.
Arrived around three thirty on Saturday after a very relaxing and enjoyable run down from Ijmuiden. Straight on to the track and we all got two runs in before close at seven.
Sunday was a different matter all together - fine sunshine again but HUNDREDS of cars!
Track was closed for nearly four hours over the course of the day with multiple incidents including arrival of air ambulance on two occasions - I'm hoping all involved are OK
Speed differential on track is incredible - you really do need eyes in the back of your head -You think you're going quickly until you're passed by a gaggle of GT3's and a couple of R8's at full chat. An experience to behold!
On Monday the track was very quiet - no queues anywhere but unfortunately we had to head for the ferry.
Accommodation, food and beer all excellent
Next trip will be weekdays where there are sessions on most nights and the locals advise usually very quiet
Need a quicker car now!

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

View previous topic
View next topic