SMRC Sports and Saloons

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 pm PostPost subject:
caterfield

Allow anything and everything to race in sports and saloons.Very shortsighted when the Smrc sought to get rid of the two rather quick blue ford Focus and orange Lambo.People actualy paid to come and view these cars.Whilst i was not happy being beaten every time by these cars i appreciated the overall spectacle.Allow radicals,gt3 spec cars,in fact anything to get grids up and people to watch.There can only be one winner in any race however i fully agree with different classes to allow races within a race and trophies should always be given to class winners.I remember my first 3rd in class and trophy.This at the time was one of the things that brought me back.I have raced full seasons with the Smrc and Northern sports and saloons.The Smrc has its fair share of old farts who have never raced in their lives,are only interested in their self importance, and if it wasnt the Smrc would be on some other committee.There are also those within the Smrc who are genuinely good.No club is any different.
Had a glass of wine with my tea whilst writing this so need to clarify in my head what i am saying.I think allow anything to race,but give incentive enough one way or another throughout the field to make people want to come back and race.If you can get 38 cars on a grid then hopefully the fact that most within the field will get a race would be sufficient to bring them back, coupled with class wins ,prizes or whatever else anyone suggests.10 cars spread out over Knockhill circuit is no good for drivers,spectators or Sports and Saloons.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:59 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

I think part of the issue is that there is too few people in the SMRC actually doing the work, the committee has their share of auld yins but it has a few folk that work really hard on what is basically a hobby

My opinion is that the racers should be running championships themselves, a squad of people that want to improve things for each other, yes in the days of Andy Gallacher, Charlie Shaw, Tony galloway, Alex Bruce (RIP) there was some pretty special cars in S&S, times change, people move on

every part of the SMRC is struggling, over the last few years I would say our numbers have halved, the turnout we have at BTCC we used to get at every SMRC meeting, we just roll up the ovies and get on with it, plus last season we lost a good friend and comrade and it was hard for us.

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:29 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Some points.

SLS / Saloon Racing - I've discussed this in the past with Mark (as prev SMRC Drivers Rep) and Rory/Stuart at KH. I believe there is traction for this to take off, but understand KMSC (KH) would need healthy numbers before entertaining the idea any further. (at this point.... thats all it is.... an idea that was put forward to them at the start of 2016).

SLS has the backbone/structure to attract Sports & Saloons variety.
SLS has the numbers to make saloon racing a next step for those that are currently in the series.
SLS has the classes and testing structure to simply use those classes (tyres would need some thought

If we can get a solid showing of interest this would help me take this idea back to them for more discussion.

SLS is an entirely different kettle of fish to SMRC though. SLS has much more flexibility and isnt weighed down by committees and the like. Its driven to attract numbers and (IMO) hasnt got to the point (yet) where it has stagnated and folk believe the numbers are a given. I.e there is always work going on behind the scenes to keep it relevant and in focus on social media.

Other points on SMRC Sports & Saloons.

Appoint a drivers rep - FIRST OFF. Any issues can then go through 1 person.

1 - Do not appoint a committee. All that will do is sap time and effort to make a decision.
2 - Drivers Rep (and helpers/drivers) push Sports & Saloons on internet and social media. This NEEDS to be a 2 way arrangement. You shouldnt rely on SMRC to drum up numbers. If you want good racing, more numbers and a better race profile you (we) need to promote the racing off out own backs. Be active on social media.... publish pics/vids/content that will make folk want to race with us Smile

It is a fair bit of work.... but I'm sure folk can all do a little to make a cumulative difference.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:13 am PostPost subject:
Team Cowie
user

marshal-alan wrote:

every part of the SMRC is struggling, over the last few years I would say our numbers have halved, the turnout we have at BTCC we used to get at every SMRC meeting

Hi Alan

I know they are struggling, but also not interested in changing anything.my feeling is that unless you drive a formula ford they just want you to pay your entry so they can fund the championships that matter to them.

not naming names here but the person i spoke to on the phone could not get me off the phone fast enough just was not interested in the slightest and they have to do with the sports and saloons.

Keith

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 am PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

well Keith, i can see where you are coming from and aye f-fords dont really do it for me, i'm a tintop man, i want to see full grids giving it all. I know on the drive through me and my mate always chat about the entry list and it is along the lines of "wow andy gallacher is in, or Keith Cowie has that braw gulf liveried seat" not there is a yellow van diemen in

as I said it should be up to the drivers to organise things, not a committee, you are the peeps paying your hard earned, that goes for all series. I know Harry Simpson is organising things for classics, Malcolm does a good job in minis, haggis for the fiestas. If you guys arent happy then make change happen

It is only human nature that when your livelihood is reliant on the series you organise that you will put that interest to the forefront and dont get me wrong the Bruntons are good people, I consider them friends and they have done a lot to stop the rot and build relations between knockhill and the smrc after certain folk had the diplomacy of a herd of angry bulls in a glassware factory. We can and should be all working together, drivers, suppliers, mechanics, committee and marshals as our aim is the same. a Better SMRC series

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

marshal-alan wrote:

as I said it should be up to the drivers to organise things, not a committee, you are the peeps paying your hard earned, that goes for all series. I know Harry Simpson is organising things for classics, Malcolm does a good job in minis, haggis for the fiestas. If you guys arent happy then make change happen

Sorry Alan, I don't agree with that. What's the point of being a member of a club and paying handsomely for the privilege, when there is a committee in place that doesn't seek to meet the best interests of ALL it's members?

You are right, the drivers and particularly the Drivers Rep's have to take the responsibility on their shoulders to make things happen. That's the way it is but not the way it should be.

With the accounts of the club now shrouded in secrecy raises further questions for me too.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 pm PostPost subject:
crayons
user

Mark, will you be at the trackscotland track day in February, can have a chat then. Between now and then I'll be busy preparing my car for the new season.

One thing I would add that when I was trying to improve the MX5 cup situation I did start discussions with KMSC about racing with them. From memory I think you needed about 14 entries to cover the track costs and have the same entry fee as SMRC for similar track time.

I think SLS could definitely put on a exhibition race this year as a proof of concept.

It's always good to have options when hoping for an organisation to be more helpful.

What proportion of SLS participants would be compliant with circuit racing regs?

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:02 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

crayons wrote:
Mark, will you be at the trackscotland track day in February, can have a chat then. Between now and then I'll be busy preparing my car for the new season.

One thing I would add that when I was trying to improve the MX5 cup situation I did start discussions with KMSC about racing with them. From memory I think you needed about 14 entries to cover the track costs and have the same entry fee as SMRC for similar track time.

I think SLS could definitely put on a exhibition race this year as a proof of concept.

It's always good to have options when hoping for an organisation to be more helpful.

What proportion of SLS participants would be compliant with circuit racing regs?

I will Ian, with or without car. More than happy to have a chat.

I'd guess that c. 50% of SLS cars (80 entrants this year) would comply with MSA safety regs or at very least, not needing much done to comply.

I also reckon that on top of SLS competitors, there could be another 10 to 15 cars at least that would be interested in a well supported new Saloon series.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 pm PostPost subject:
Team Cowie
user

crayons wrote:

Now thats a bloody good idea,Rory hope you are reading this

keith

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

HummuH wrote:

As Ali mentions above, a lot of competitors are limited on time and budget. Perhaps having an alternative, where people can do more than one event in a day and do a Championship over less weekends would be a good thing. Surely even just having a choice of different race events to do in Scotland would be of benefit to everyone?

One big stumbling block is that there is only one race circuit in Scotland (two if you count KH reverse direction). Another is the scarcity of resources to support additional dates. As Alan mentioned, there is a depleting number of marshals willing and able to give up their time for additional dates, same with other officials such as; Rescue and Recovery, Timekeepers, Clerks and Stewards, Scrutineers.

Perhaps a mini-series within SMRC season? Some circuits run a winter series, but Knockhill from late October onwards has limited light and unpredictable weather.

KMSC will be running some races this season during the SLS dates, perhaps drivers could enter the NSCC races those days.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:22 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

AK wrote:

Other points on SMRC Sports & Saloons.

Appoint a drivers rep - FIRST OFF. Any issues can then go through 1 person.

1 - Do not appoint a committee. All that will do is sap time and effort to make a decision.
2 - Drivers Rep (and helpers/drivers) push Sports & Saloons on internet and social media. This NEEDS to be a 2 way arrangement. You shouldnt rely on SMRC to drum up numbers. If you want good racing, more numbers and a better race profile you (we) need to promote the racing off out own backs. Be active on social media.... publish pics/vids/content that will make folk want to race with us Smile

It is a fair bit of work.... but I'm sure folk can all do a little to make a cumulative difference.

A pro-active Drivers Representative is essential. Also any suggestions for change need to be raised during the season, not at the end of the year when the clubs have a deadline to submit Championships Regs to the MSA by the end of November. Sorry Keith, but your suggestions were just too late to be considered.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:34 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

caterfield wrote:
Allow anything and everything to race in sports and saloons.Very shortsighted when the Smrc sought to get rid of the two rather quick blue ford Focus and orange Lambo.People actualy paid to come and view these cars.Whilst i was not happy being beaten every time by these cars i appreciated the overall spectacle.Allow radicals,gt3 spec cars,in fact anything to get grids up and people to watch.There can only be one winner in any race however i fully agree with different classes to allow races within a race and trophies should always be given to class winners.I remember my first 3rd in class and trophy.This at the time was one of the things that brought me back.I have raced full seasons with the Smrc and Northern sports and saloons.The Smrc has its fair share of old farts who have never raced in their lives,are only interested in their self importance, and if it wasnt the Smrc would be on some other committee.There are also those within the Smrc who are genuinely good.No club is any different.
Had a glass of wine with my tea whilst writing this so need to clarify in my head what i am saying.I think allow anything to race,but give incentive enough one way or another throughout the field to make people want to come back and race.If you can get 38 cars on a grid then hopefully the fact that most within the field will get a race would be sufficient to bring them back, coupled with class wins ,prizes or whatever else anyone suggests.10 cars spread out over Knockhill circuit is no good for drivers,spectators or Sports and Saloons.

SMRC never "banned" any of those cars mentioned above. They are still eligible to race.

GT3 and similar cars are also eligible to race at SMRC meetings, Colin Simpsons Marcos is an example. The problem is that the short lap distance and the limited number of laps, does not suit these cars.

I'd also advise that you do some research into the background of the SMRC Committee and Officials before you accuse the old farts of not having raced. Hugh McCaig, Walter Robertson, Andrew Morrison, Graham Brunton, Steve Burns, Kevin Pick, Bernard Buss have all raced at various times and circuits.

Don't drink and Post Laughing

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:32 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

scottish scrutineer wrote:
One big stumbling block is that there is only one race circuit in Scotland (two if you count KH reverse direction). Another is the scarcity of resources to support additional dates. As Alan mentioned, there is a depleting number of marshals willing and able to give up their time for additional dates, same with other officials such as; Rescue and Recovery, Timekeepers, Clerks and Stewards, Scrutineers.

Perhaps a mini-series within SMRC season? Some circuits run a winter series, but Knockhill from late October onwards has limited light and unpredictable weather.

KMSC will be running some races this season during the SLS dates, perhaps drivers could enter the NSCC races those days.

Yeah, but what we're suggesting here is that SLS already provides a platform to try something new. Lack of resources becomes pretty much a moot point as they are already in place for the day. I'm sure a mix of events on the day would be more interesting for the marshals, officials and spectators also Very Happy The willingness of SLS to run in Reverse as well also adds a new dimension, as seen with the NSSCC races.

scottish scrutineer wrote:
I'd also advise that you do some research into the background of the SMRC Committee and Officials before you accuse the old farts of not having raced. Hugh McCaig, Walter Robertson, Andrew Morrison, Graham Brunton, Steve Burns, Kevin Pick, Bernard Buss have all raced at various times and circuits.

Don't drink and Post Laughing

I certainly don't question the background and experience of the SMRC committee, I just wish it was used and applied in a manner that suited the whole of the club rather than, what can sometimes appear to be, select parts of it. The Paddock also contains a wealth of experience, perhaps greater and more relevant to current club racing and I think it would be beneficial to have more current racers involved with decision making within the club.

Whether people care to admit it or not, there is very much a feeling of "them and us" around the paddock when it comes to the SMRC. That's not healthy for the club and not good for the sport up here. Again, SLS sets a positive example here, I would bet Rory, Stuart et all could name a large number of competitors in the paddock. I very much doubt the same could be said for the SMRC. It's a small thing, with a big impact.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm PostPost subject:
caterfield

I think your reply Scottish scrutineer sums up quite nicely the attitude i was trying to portray.Nothing more i need say.Must go and look out the wine !

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

if you arent happy then change things, Renny like a lot of folk gives his own free time so that others can enjoy their sport, if anything the attitude is coming from drivers, as for a them and us all I can say is us marshals treat everyone as equals, yes you can see moves happening that stevie wonder could see will end in tears, we see kamikaze driving but we still get out there and deal with it. Doesnt matter how wet the rain is, how biting the wind or occasionally how hot the sun, we are still there all day

Perhaps try talking to the committee, I have gotten to know most of them and they are really good people, get more people who are prepared to work for the good of club motorsport onto the committee. Dont forget KMSC is run as a business and their aim is to make money, a lot of the marshals you see there will be paid circuit staff so aye some attitudes may be different

Plus consider this, I have said to drivers who arent racing to come and join us on the banking, one guy said "feck that, I arent standing around in the rain all day". imagine how we feel

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

View previous topic
View next topic