SMRC Sports and Saloons

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:38 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

HummuH wrote:

The reason the NSSCC is successful is not down to the Class structure, it's down to how the Championship is run and managed. In my opinion.

This, and also just simply location / circuits

S&S isn't a main focus for SMRC and if they don't have someone dedicated to promoting / running / organising it, then it seems to just go a bit downhill...as evidenced when Mark stepped down as driver rep

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

I guess to make the class structure fair you need to prioritize the performance differentials. Here is my attempt:

1.Slicks and wings
2.Power
3.Drive train (2WD v 4WD)

B1 seems to be a bit of a catch all class, and could be distributed a bit better.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:15 am PostPost subject:
Team Cowie
user

Fee wrote:
HummuH wrote:

The reason the NSSCC is successful is not down to the Class structure, it's down to how the Championship is run and managed. In my opinion.

S&S isn't a main focus for SMRC and if they don't have someone dedicated to promoting / running / organising it, then it seems to just go a bit downhill...as evidenced when Mark stepped down as driver rep

Your so right there when I spoke to the SMRC I come off the phone thinking that they don't care one bit about the S&S championship.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:16 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Team Cowie wrote:
Fee wrote:
HummuH wrote:

Your so right there when I spoke to the SMRC I come off the phone thinking that they don't care one bit about the S&S championship.

Unfortunately, you're right.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:22 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

Fee wrote:
HummuH wrote:

What is its priority?

If they would provide a budget (Perhaps the championships registrations fees) then a committee could take on the promotion of the championship.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 am PostPost subject:
Team Cowie
user

For me i build my car to go out and try to win simple as that. For me no point being forced to race in a class that really you don't have a chance of winning the championship.

Being in the mix and nearly winning is maybe ok for some but not for me. I nearly won the lottery but didn't lol

I don't want to just make up numbers. It cost enough to enter nevermind build, buy and run our cars.

1.6 has little chance against a 2.0 the same as a 2.0 has little chance against 3.0 plus.

Think for the extra money I will do the Brit car series maybe a bit more money but you get 2x 90min races.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:51 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

crayons wrote:
Fee wrote:
HummuH wrote:

What is its priority?

If they would provide a budget (Perhaps the championships registrations fees) then a committee could take on the promotion of the championship.

Ian, you can have as many good ideas as you want and there-in lies the issue. You will find it very hard to get the SMRC to agree to funding any sort of "budget". The principal issue is that other Championships will start bitching about it and want the same themselves. Any promotion that was done when I was involved (Facebook page etc) came out of my own time and pocket.

The fundamental issue is the SMRC and until that changes it will be very hard for someone, no matter how keen, to influence things to the extent required.

However, having an active and enthusiastic Drivers Rep is a good starting point. If it's something that you're interested in doing, which I would encourage, I'd be more than happy to meet up and give you any pointers I can.

Facebook Page also, I set that up and it desperately needs some TLC. 1,724 likes on that page, which is more than the Compact Cup (438 likes), the Celtic Speed Mini Cooper Cup pages (387 likes) and the SMRC page (920 likes). That was done without much effort and I think is a decent sign that there's plenty of interest out there for what S&S is about, it just needs to be managed and promoted.

As I said before, I think the future of S&S is best in the hands of a 3rd party who run it as a non-profit venture with the backing of a headline sponsor and with the SMRC providing the racing platform. Unless the SMRc changes of course....

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 pm PostPost subject:
Ali M
user

Team Cowie wrote:
NSSCC - 2016
Here are the nsscc class structure below. Why not try and run something the same so that maybe some cars would travel north and enter S&S looking at results they get some big grids with good racing.

NSSCC
SERIES CLASSES

Class Description
Class A1 Saloon and Sports Cars with engine capacity over 2000cc.
Class A2 Saloon and Sports Cars with engine capacity up to and including 2000cc
Class B1 Saloon and Sports Cars with engine capacity over 2900cc Tyres from List 1A or 1B.
Class B2 Saloon and Sports Cars with engine capacity over 2000cc up to and including 2900cc Tyres from List 1A or 1B.
Class C Saloon and Sports Cars with engine capacity over 1600cc up to and including 2000cc Tyres from List 1A or 1B.
Class D Saloon and Sports Cars with engine capacity up to and including 1600cc Tyres from List 1A or 1B.
Class E1 Kit Cars unlimited capacity and modifications car derived engines.
Class E2 Kit Cars motorcycle engines
Class H Saloon and Sports Cars originally manufactured before 1980 excluding all four wheel drive vehicles.

I can't see how that will help up here, it would only make all of the things you list as issues get worse. A lot of cars would find themselves all together in A1 and all competing for the same points against the highest HP / 4wd monster cars, especially when you consider forced induction multiplier.

crayons wrote:
I guess to make the class structure fair you need to prioritize the performance differentials. Here is my attempt:

1.Slicks and wings
2.Power
3.Drive train (2WD v 4WD)

B1 seems to be a bit of a catch all class, and could be distributed a bit better.

Tbh, my own thoughts are that SMRC did a good move with addition of A3 class for caterfields a few years back which now leaves 2wd saloons free to pick up points separately from the 4wd monsters, but also separate from the light weight caterfield cars.

My own thoughts on the current lie of things is that factors such as jobs & oil price have had a big impact on a lot of us from Aberdeen, and the draw from NSSCC is to do with the simple fact that you get variety from tracks. Knockhill & S&S will always be a problem as the vast majority of the entire countries competitors budgets are focused on competing at one single venue, whereas down south they have a huge number of tracks & championships to dilute things. Therefore you don't tend to see as many high HP blank cheque cars competing there like you do at Knockhill.

I don't see the promo of lack of support for S&S as 'the' critical factor but I certainly agree that it doesn't help. With SLS it make the experience fun and there is a good buzz around it which S&S has lost.

Having said that, I would like to be back out in S&S if I can only get my car back out there.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:53 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Knockhill have clearly invested time and money, and got sponsorship for SLS, a similar effort would make a huge difference to the SMRC & S&S.

The fact it's proper racing rather than sprinting makes it much more appealing.

Be interested to see if sls intends to evolve, the classes are there, the event is there...

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

foz01 wrote:
Knockhill have clearly invested time and money, and got sponsorship for SLS, a similar effort would make a huge difference to the SMRC & S&S.

Be interested to see if sls intends to evolve, the classes are there, the event is there...

The thing is SLS is run by knockhill. SMRC is a separate body who rent the track out.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:29 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

All a bit depressing reading this really as I was wanting to get involved this coming year. I had a couple of friends who raced in the BMW series this year, but the all the politics, and contact nature of the KH field, has limited the appeal for them, and they are moving south next year.
Duratec in Detail

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:58 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Team Cowie wrote:
For me i build my car to go out and try to win simple as that. For me no point being forced to race in a class that really you don't have a chance of winning the championship.

Being in the mix and nearly winning is maybe ok for some but not for me. I nearly won the lottery but didn't lol

I don't want to just make up numbers. It cost enough to enter nevermind build, buy and run our cars.

1.6 has little chance against a 2.0 the same as a 2.0 has little chance against 3.0 plus.

Think for the extra money I will do the Brit car series maybe a bit more money but you get 2x 90min races.

See, that's what makes it interesting for me. Everybody's there for a different reason.

Winning or being competitive is great, it adds to the experience but it's a bonus for me, not a requirement. I like racing because it's a buzz, I get to catch up with family, people I consider friends and try to have a laugh when not in the car.

Think every competitor falls in one of the two camps. From my experience, most fall into the latter and when it's all about the winning, that's when the fun disappears, for me anyway. At this level of motorsport it's pretty easy to win, you generally just need to spend more money than everyone else.

As for the 1.6 v's 2.0 etc I don't really buy that I'm afraid. What if the smaller engined cars wiegh 150kg less than the larger engined cars?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:05 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AMD wrote:
foz01 wrote:

The thing is SLS is run by knockhill. SMRC is a separate body who rent the track out.

I think the point here is that SLS is a great example of what can be done with the right support, budget and enthusiasm. Knockhill and Rory in particular have made a great job of it.

I agree with Foz, I think SLS could quite easily spin-off into a simultaneous "race" Championship and potentially offer an alternative for competitors.

As Ali mentions above, a lot of competitors are limited on time and budget. Perhaps having an alternative, where people can do more than one event in a day and do a Championship over less weekends would be a good thing. Surely even just having a choice of different race events to do in Scotland would be of benefit to everyone?

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:54 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

David - dont be put off Very Happy

Its still great fun racing despite out moaning Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:10 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Racing is hugely more appealing for me, and the new car was bought for it however I am in the oil industry and having to work away so time at home is extremely limited & with a young family, as such I cant commit to anything yet.

An SLS race offshoot is exactly what I was implying, seems a logical step...

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4

View previous topic
View next topic