Exhaust manifold advice/help

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:00 pm PostPost subject: Exhaust manifold advice/help
Rexy-racer

Making a turbo manifold for my track car project & was looking for a bit of advice.

It's a manifold for a 1.8t 20v VAG engine, that I'm fitting to a RX8. Can't buy one off the shelf due to sitting the engine so far inside the bulkhead.

What I was wondering is. What are the disadvantages of having the manifold go 4 into 2 into 1. What I mean is, instead of having all 4 pipes meet at the flange. I could have 1-4 meet, 2-3 meet, then have a 2 pipe collector at the flange. (Still trying to keep everything equal length) I'm using a k04 turbo & the inlet at the turbo is round & a bit of a pain to have a collector with all 4 pipes at it & still be able to get into the bolts.

Cheers John

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 am PostPost subject:
Ecosse
established user

On N/A cars having a 4-2-1 or 4-1 manifold has an impact on the torque curve, unsure if it's the same for turbo's.

I know that there are some FWD turbo manifolds that relocate the turbo over the gearbox due to space restrictions.

As long as the secondary pipes are increased in size enough to deal with the additional flow then it should be alright.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic