TrackScotland Trackday - Saturday 7 May 2016 - 2hr REVERSE

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

Wed May 04, 2016 6:43 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

yup, all gone again.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat May 07, 2016 11:02 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Following on from a comment on FB and some issues in the past.

1 booking is ONE CAR

You cannot use two cars with your 1 booking.

If you want to use two cars, book two spaces Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat May 07, 2016 8:33 pm PostPost subject:
scotiamr2t
user

Just like to thank Adam an few for arranging the track night, had a great night despite a few red flags! Weather held out an once the suspensions settings were changed back to what they were the little clio done well again

Great night, so thanks again

Sat May 07, 2016 10:57 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

Thanks Adam and Fee Smile

Enjoyed the evening but, after working all night on the election and a 12 hour shift today, I decided to keep it short. Despite that, in the 56's without too much effort and Gordon did a PB at 56.60. For his first dry reverse day, I was impressed.

The car was going well but seems very different this year - don't know if it is the paddle shift, or engine changes, but much scarier to drive, although easier to do good times. Both Gordon and I think the same - it just seems to be getting to the limit much more quickly, and more often, and it's a very 'full on' experience now.
Duratec in Detail

Last edited by David Long on Sun May 08, 2016 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Sun May 08, 2016 6:17 am PostPost subject:
jockthedog
established user

Yes, a good night indeed. Perfect weather and no sun-glare coming out of the chicane, in reverse.
Loving the new chicane kerbing too. Was straightlining it, pretty well.
Good to talk to old faces and a few new, incl the S5 which was busy munching its brakes Smile

The S4 was going like a train as usual. Had the dry setup which makes a big difference, and my modded center diff which make the car behav like it's on rails. Smile Smile

Only did 62s as fastest laps. I'll need a different car to go any faster I think, as I can't get this one to do that! Slightly down on boost, but there's still plenty there.

Thanks to Fee and Adaminabsentia for another great Trackscotland evening.

Sun May 08, 2016 6:53 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

more and more focused and the envelope gets smaller and smaller!
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun May 08, 2016 10:57 am PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

Goog night.
Couple of red & yellow flags that my luck caught all of.
1st reverse in years, new brakes all round (smokey) & found bald tyres take longer to heat up Laughing
Great to have Hamish join me, drive the car, give some great feedback & speed me up.

Sun May 08, 2016 3:55 pm PostPost subject:
jockthedog
established user

Hope the op(s) go well Chris.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:12 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Thanks for all the effort to organise as always, another great night. As usual, the standard of driving was really good, even with the reverse track layout leaving less opportunities for overtaking.

I need to sort some new tyres and pads for next time though, brakes have gone from being pretty exceptional, to worse than my tow car!

Mon May 09, 2016 8:26 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Reverse is so different to Normal....

You have a BIG braking zone, and a fast corner with difficult entry.

VMAXs - From memory we were seeing about 8-10mph more on the main straight, but maybe 5-8mph less on the back 'curve'.

The Chicane to McIntyres is quite quick, and I find stopping for McIntyres interesting in reverse too LOL.

Loads of compression going up Duffus and mega light a skittery on the top.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 09, 2016 9:17 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Yeah I found the braking for the hairpin was hard on the car, faster and downhill. The turn in point is SO late too, way past the marker cone. Couldnt figure it out until I followed someone else through.

The tightening right into Clarks is 'interesting', cheers to Jock for the heads up on that one, best I could manage was late turn in from the left edge of the track so I could straight line the braking and catch both cones, paid to go slower and get the power on more/sooner without running out of track on the exit.

Chicane is very different, normally you can see the apexes, but not that your exit is clear. Reverse you're turning for the first marker without being able to see the second. The big green kerb on the right is handy!

I didnt find mcintyres as bad, but then I think I was slower though it as it was just off the powerband in third, but hardly worth dipping to second for

Duffus has become my new hairpin, the one point on the track where the car just refuses to exit a corner, cresting with the left indicator on while sliding towards the pit lane wasnt good Razz Seems to pay to lift and wait for traction. Downside of no diff/coilovers/ I suspect.

As the guy said, a totally new circuit. First lap I lost track of where I was entirely!

Mon May 09, 2016 9:50 am PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

McIntyres was my issue.
I was trying to keep left on the exit to get a wide sweep up Leslies.
This meant I was going in too slow but after changing it to a much faster entry, using all the road on exit it was excellent.

I found a tight line at the hairpin worked better for exit but fwd & rwd will differ there i think.

clarks seems to be all about a late turn off the straight, straight braking, late turn & smooth exit without much kerb.

Dufus is just wicked in reverse, very fast & right up the pit lane nearly!

chicane/butchers is great once you have blind faith & get the markers right but interesting upto that point & that gren patch of tarmac most welcome!

Mon May 09, 2016 6:36 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

AK wrote:
more and more focused and the envelope gets smaller and smaller!

I was talking to one of my suppliers about that. I asked him how much quicker the bits he was trying to sell would make me, ''they won't'' he said, ''but you won't have to try so hard''

I think we tend to have an instinctive 'limit' and I suspect I'm getting close to mine now Confused
Duratec in Detail

Mon May 09, 2016 7:45 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

hmm, I understand the thinking behind the statement, but I think my mental programming wouldnt reach the same conclusion.... I'd just come to the conclusion that it was possible to get here, so why not a bit more.

I think SLS has helped me get a fair bit quicker without just adding power to do so. I think its the same for you... we've both had pretty much the same lap times year on year for about 4 or 5 years now Very Happy 58, 57, 56, 55, 54

Not that much has changed spec wise on my car in the last 2 years but its just been fine tuning. Its easier to drive, its got more relaxed gearing, its prob heavier. Technologically the car has advanced without altering its Power/Weight class - trick diffs, better rear diff - Next I wouldnt mind adding in 4 wheelspeed sensors, g-sensor, gps to ECU, adding in ABS and traction control Laughing

Achieve a target, then set a new one.

With no more power, and prob the same weight I've gone from 56 in my car to a 54. I KNOW I can do a 53, but it might just take time. I dont want to throw money at it and add 150hp or buy carbon this/that. Small incremental changes have seemed to work well for it, and I prefer to drive the car and pin-point what needs improved. Def brakes for now Laughing I feel like I could do a 53 easily with working front brakes and not needing to steer the car in the braking zones Laughing

My only limitation (I feel) is in SMRC.... I canny keep cars with much more power behind for long.

No idea how I ended up on this tangent Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 09, 2016 8:18 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

I'd agree with all that. What I was trying to say is that adding another 5% potential doesn't make you any quicker if you're not driving to 100% in the first place.

I will get quicker, I just need time to catch up with the car's development - suddenly it seems on a totally new level, and I wasn't expecting that.
Duratec in Detail

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

View previous topic
View next topic