SMRC Mini Cooper Cup

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:29 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

AK wrote:

Fee is capable of low 55sec laps (so far Wink )- not sure how she'd do in race conditions though

Which could mean spending more money! that was the main thing we noticed with the ksports great for trackdays and time attack cause as soon as you noticed fade you could just back off or come in but in a race you cant do that.

One of the biggest difference is what tyres you use,when using avons and porsche supercup tyres the evo was still a second a lap faster on R888's but we got a set of pirelli slicks which were a world of difference.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:36 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

yup.... class B as a trial in the Impreza seems to be a good call Very Happy

The Skyline needs work done over winter anyway, so may as well get Fee out racing to see what she thinks of it.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:51 pm PostPost subject:
Mark50
user

You should easily break the 60 second mark with 400bhp, my car is making about 390bhp at the moment and I'm getting ever closer to it.

Not sure the exact spec of James McEleny's car, I think it's about 350bhp but he makes up the time by being a very committed driver, Joe's car is about 320bhp but hasn't been fully prepared yet (still has quite a bit of weight saving to do).

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm PostPost subject:
BM
user

AK wrote:
If anyone cant make a round and wants to 'hire' out a car just let us know Very Happy

If you're interested in ST's I may be missing a round or two thanks to work shenanigans, so my car would be available. Alternatively the man to speak to is Iain Cowie and I did hear him mention recently he has two or three for sale.

Malcolm - is your Mini running quite reliably this year, cos all I heard from others were stories of them eating gearboxes for breakfast etc and I've never really been a fan of them so it put me off right away. Plus all these gimmicks they run like the guest car and a ladies cup??

The ST's will come good within a year or two I feel, I've already had a race long battle with two cars this year, all it needs is some more cars, and with it a bigger variation of driver talent to make those battles appear.

I've been to a couple of the English series races this year and the racing down there is as good as anything else in the country.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

AK wrote:
emicen wrote:
To be blunt, even with slicks the Skyline would get humped 7 ways from Sunday in A1 vs Tadstar/Charlie Shaw/the Caterfields (ok, they're A2). Consider the amount of time/money/development in the Bruce Evo 7 and its still 2.5 secs a lap off their pace. The trio of EsCos' are 4-6 seconds off their pace. I'm not 100% on the power the Evo or Cossies are running, but at a guess the Skyline isnt going to be that much more powerful and more than likely going to be heavier once properly caged.

I'd run it in B and rape the Impreza gaggle myself, only need to rub out 61/62s laps to match their pace in the May meeting qualification.

Just checking lap times now Laughing Imprezas were doing 61/62 in May round. Sure our Impreza could sustain sub 60 laps as it is with 400bhp (pretty easily I'd think)

Was doing 59/60 on standard brakes and burst suspension - all be it not in race conditions but on trackday.

Fee is capable of low 55sec laps (so far Wink )- not sure how she'd do in race conditions though

This is why I went one make rather than S&S. My Celica would have been easily homologated to run in B, but last year there was only 1 person running in B most of the time and it would have just been pulverised by the A1/A2 machines and you'd at least want to get some close racing in!

Only problem I could see with the Impreza in B would be the wings. "All body panels must be in the original materials with the exception of bonnet and bootlid/tailgate". Think you just got some fibreglass wide arches?

There may be some wiggle room in the regs though.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

BM wrote:
AK wrote:
If anyone cant make a round and wants to 'hire' out a car just let us know Very Happy

If you're interested in ST's I may be missing a round or two thanks to work shenanigans, so my car would be available. Alternatively the man to speak to is Iain Cowie and I did hear him mention recently he has two or three for sale.

Malcolm - is your Mini running quite reliably this year, cos all I heard from others were stories of them eating gearboxes for breakfast etc and I've never really been a fan of them so it put me off right away. Plus all these gimmicks they run like the guest car and a ladies cup??

The ST's will come good within a year or two I feel, I've already had a race long battle with two cars this year, all it needs is some more cars, and with it a bigger variation of driver talent to make those battles appear.

I've been to a couple of the English series races this year and the racing down there is as good as anything else in the country.

I wouldnt agree necessarily about the "gimmicks" Blair. End of the day, motorsport in Scotland is vastly underexposed and the guest car goes some way to address this. Getting people like Jon Doran or the real radio people last year out in the cars is useful for getting better media exposure. Guys like Robin Lidell racing last year and Anthony Reid are real bonuses as well, it gives you something to aim for as a driver and a benchmark against real, well known racers.

Obviously it can go pearshaped. I had to take to the grass at Duffus to avoid being wiped out my our guest superbiker who went a bit daft at the first corner but whilst it pissed me off and to an extent ruined my race, I also learnt from the experience.

The newcomers cup gives us something to aim for when the overall title is out the equation, I'd just rather it was dependant on having a noob cross on the back of your car rather than how many SMCC races you've done (technically DC, Alan McNish, Paul Di Resta would be newcomers Laughing ). But then that would mean only me, Mervyn, Louise and Adam would be elligible and I'd be leading that battle Cool

From my point of view spectating last year, only the XR2s and Legends rivalled the Minis for close racing. I agree, more cars on the grid would help the STs but I dont see it happening this season.

I'm waaaaaaaay too superstitious to comment on reliability Laughing My biggest mechanical woe this year was meeting a tyre wall at 90mph which hurt wallet and ribs in equal measure...

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic