Best Race Series

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm PostPost subject: Best Race Series
Mark50
user

Just wondering what everyones views were on the various different race series out there, running in the SMRC I know all about the high entry costs, wide gulf in performance between cars and the lack of variety having every race at KH, on the flip side it's the closest circuit for me so transport costs are lower. I know very little about Time Attack or the Subaru Cup, are entry fee's much lower and if so does the additional travel time and cost cancel out any savings?.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Time Attack isnt cheap... from memory its 230 per round.

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/

Subaru Cup is a spin off of the Nippon Challange and will incorporate the 'Evo Cup' i think... so Scoobs and Evos will be racig door to door. Subaru cup has two classes - standard (WRX with no engine mods etc) or modified (must have 34mm inlet restrictor to even things up on all cars)

The costs are slightly cheaper than TA and should be more competative on a modest budget.

http://subarucup.co.uk/

Nippon Challange is another option - Several classes based on power and min weight. GT300 or GT500 would be where we fit in (our Imprezas have similar engines/turbos and can run 300bhp if needed)

http://nipponchallenge.14.forumer.com/index.php

SMRC seems a bit daft to me (close, yes... but same track all the time... and very varied cars)

Other options are LMA, AAA etc... Travel isnt that much of a pain except for Sneterton! What a chore to get to! Makes a weekend of it Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

Have you thought about giving hill climbing ago?

More hill climbing tracks up your way and there is a few members on here that do it.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:38 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

.... Still not given it a go, but isnt it all over too quickly Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:28 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

I looked at this one recently in quite a lot of detail (as I'm going racing next year).

Saying all SMRC races are held at Knockhill is inaccurate. This year every class had at least 1 away round at various tracks in England and Northern Ireland. Next year, the proposed calender (for the Minis from memory as thats what I'm planning to race) includes a round at Oulton Park and Croft, this year included Cadwell Park and Kirkistown iirc.

SMRC Classes:

XR2s, good close racing although it has been a touch too bumper cars-ish this year (view voiced by quite a few competitors on various forums, entertaining for us spectators I suppose). Main sticking point for me on this one was I am ridiculously competitive, and if entering XR2s, really you'd need to be buying one of the 4-5k cars rather than the 2k ones to get to the front of the grid. Something about 5k on an XR2 the same age as me was just unreconcilable.

STs, good up and coming class, may well be the class to be in come 2011/2012. Last year, my feeling from watching it was the grid was a touch sparse and when the race started it became very fragmented with very little close passing. Also, the cars are running fully welded in cages so much stiffer than bolt in cage cars, full slicks and ~30hp over the Minis yet nobody I'm aware of. Rory Bryant is the fastest I'm aware of and I think his best lap is a 62.5xx done in September whilst Vic Covey Jnr ran a 62.7xx in October (cant remember where the lap records sheet is so just cherry picking from some results off Smart Timing). As the cars are becoming cheaper to build and experience is growing, I'd expect them to come on a bit (suppose you could argue on the flipside, we could throw some full slicks on a Mini and see what happens...)

Legends, big grids, lots of passing. Just something about them leaves me cold.

Formula Ford, open wheels Mad

Classic Sports & Saloons, the class rules are set as they are to encourage as many cars as possible to enter. Its more sensible racing with less paint trading, but there are a couple of cars in the field which seem to be hugely faster than everything else.

Sports & Saloons, I dont have 50k to throw at my Celica to make it competitive so gave up on the notion of this one fairly quickly. As a catch all category it does quite well but think the classes could use re-aligning a touch to make things fairer and attract more entrants.

Minis, close racing and decent grids.

If anything is missing from the SMRC rounds I would say it is a hot hatch category of similar ilk to the Stock Hatch category the 750 club run down south and something for kit cars. When this debate cropped up on another forum, that was the point I raised. It would be good to have a formula like stock hatch where you could take a Saxo VTR/VTS, 106 Rallye/GTi, Swift GTi etc, throw a grand at them for cage etc and go racing. A kit car formula would mean they could stop having Caterfields running the sports and saloons which makes it basically pointless for anyone else entering A2 now they're running full slicks to get in to that category rather than cut slicks running in D. Morrisons Cupra is a cracking car, and at the moment 5k spent wisely could get you a 400hp Supra to run in A2 as well, both will just get mullered by the Caterfields though, so is there any point entering knowing you're going to take a shoeing?

Other forms of motorsport on the go, Formula Nipon is an interesting one, but I cant see it being viable living in Scotland prepping a car for just that series, like Adam is doing, it wuold probably need to be a mix of that and Time Attack.

Time Attack has always been good to watch, but only at the Super Attack/Battle stage. I recall the first year it was at Knockhill and the cars doing their qualifying laps on their own was boring as sin, but come the super battle with Andy Gallacher and Chris Docherty etc just treating it like a race, it became interesting. This is the rub, whilst Time Attack is possibly more fun that Sprints/Hillclimbs from a drivers point of view due to getting more runs, it really can be boring as hell to watch from the spectators point of view. Running it in parallel with the Drifting helps this though.

I guess it comes down to what floats your boat, I've never been taken with timed events like sprints really (I say that as in, they've never caught my imagination enough to go try it). Door handle to door handle on the other hand has always been a passion.

Rant/essay over Laughing

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:25 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Thats probably a good overview Emicen. Smile

Only thing id say is with ST's - still not convinced over cages. The white Stewart Scott car runs a bolt in cage and its normally at the front or leading the pack. Plus we drove a ST round Donington stripped out, with the AST suspension and slicks with NO cage and it was superb - no noticable difference from a car with a cage. So I think the cage helps a little but its mainly there for safety.

Sports and Saloons - I agree - im tempted to race the clio next year at least once but which class do I enter and is there any point when ill be at the back with possibly one car to race? Confused

400Bhp Supra? Are you having a giraffe? Laughing No Supra ive ever seen has gone round Knockhill well - infact most end up in the gravel trap at the hairpin because they cant slow their 3 ton ass down. Laughing

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:45 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

Daveb wrote:
Sports and Saloons - I agree - im tempted to race the clio next year at least once but which class do I enter and is there any point when ill be at the back with possibly one car to race? Confused

400Bhp Supra? Are you having a giraffe? Laughing No Supra ive ever seen has gone round Knockhill well - infact most end up in the gravel trap at the hairpin because they cant slow their 3 ton ass down. Laughing

With your Clio, could race it in Class C with cut slicks. There was 1 car entered that class last year for 1 race meeting from what I could see on the results. Alternatively, put full slicks on and get yourself in the same category as an ex-Cupra Cup car and two (R300/500?) Caterfields.

On the Supra front, I'm pretty confident I could produce a competitive car that would handle well. Problem they have is most people throw a ton of money at big bolt on turbos and 4/5th of fork oil at the suspension. The UK spec brakes are pretty good, just the car needs a crash diet, the amount of soundeadening, wiring and superfluous brackets you could chop out them is incredible! Its one of those projects I'll dive in to when I win the lottery just to see if it can be done like I think it can Laughing

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic