Minis 2017

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Great to see the S class possibly taking off, that's exactly the kind of series development SMRC needs right now imo.

Interesting running them in S&S. Makes sense, guess that's where there is some capacity at the moment but assume that means the 330 Cup plans have completely disappeared?

Don't think it's great news for S&S if I'm honest, another nail in the coffin of missed opportunities.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:09 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

a bunch of slick shod 200hp Minis would prob do OK in S&S ... i.e they wont be fodder like MX5s.

I'd expect ~58/59 from the minis perhaps
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:47 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AK wrote:
a bunch of slick shod 200hp Minis would prob do OK in S&S ... i.e they wont be fodder like MX5s.

I'd expect ~58/59 from the minis perhaps

Different issues to what the MX5's posed I think.

There will undoubtedly be more Mini's than there was MX5's, so lapping will involve passing 5+ cars which will be tightly packed and fighting each other for track position.

Wouldn't be an issue for me as I'd be unlikely to lap them but I'm not sure how other drivers would view it. Mixing SMRC mini-style racing with 50k to 100k cars might not be attractive to a lot of the regulars and with a number of the current S&S racers looking to race further afield next year, it could hurt S&S further. Alternatively, it might not.

FWIW, I think it's a good thing for the new class to emerge but not if it's to the detriment of an established series. With nobody pushing or seemingly interested in S&S at the moment time will tell I guess.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:30 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

I agree with you Mark...I think it is a good introduction, and they seem to have just squeezed it in to where they could find space since the request for it seemed to get a lot of support.
Hopefully it will become popular enough that it gets moved away from S&S quite quickly.

Agreed re overtaking if lapping - if they are all fighting it out and two leaders come to pass them, it could make things a bit tricky.

What's FWIW?

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:16 pm PostPost subject:
crayons
user

HummuH wrote:

Wouldn't be an issue for me as I'd be unlikely to lap them but I'm not sure how other drivers would view it. Mixing SMRC mini-style racing with 50k to 100k cars might not be attractive to a lot of the regulars and with a number of the current S&S racers looking to race further afield next year, it could hurt S&S further. Alternatively, it might not.

How sustainable is a series that relies on 50k-100k cars....

Any ideas of the number of Minis in progress at the moment?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:27 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

for whats its worth
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:29 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

RE - Backmarkers...

Its tricky enough to get past some of the slower S&S cars as it is LOL so see no great change Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:41 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

crayons wrote:
HummuH wrote:

How sustainable is a series that relies on 50k-100k cars....

Any ideas of the number of Minis in progress at the moment?

Very sustainable if the right backing and promotion is put into it but in S&S as it stands, you'll find a large number of the cars fit into that price/cost bracket and the rest not too far off it Very Happy

It doesn't necessarily rely on that though....

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:46 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AK wrote:
RE - Backmarkers...

Its tricky enough to get past some of the slower S&S cars as it is LOL so see no great change Laughing

Indeed, but 1 by 1 is different to 5 at a time Very Happy

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

i think on minis' the plan is to showcase it in S&S and then if it goes well, cars reliable, costs understood it would be about figuring out how to fit it into calendar then try and convince people to jump. whilst also trying to get new people on

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:03 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

looks really good and if we have say 6 cars for the start of 2017 it will be a good start.

The concern I have is say the fast minis are a success and in 2018 we have a dozen cars, that is close to requiring a stand alone series, where is it going to fit into what is already far too congested a day as it is. you are looking at 40 minutes track time plus sweepy up time so call it an hour. there is no space for that, adding the bmw's made a long day longer. Do we go for half day saturday and all day sunday racing, means you wont have the far travelled marshals on every saturday, and in 2016 it was bare bones at the best of times. Now i dont mind dossing in the car occasionally as I love my sport but at say 5 smrc meetings plus october is far too cold to even think about it.

perhaps the drivers and teams with big trucks and motorhomes should be offering a bed to a cold, tired marshal Laughing

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:46 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

yeah, I was just thinking what would have to make way when / if Cooper S's get their own slot.

OR would they be added in with the Coopers, like ST and XR2?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:43 am PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

32 car limit for knockhill, the 1st 32 minis to enter be it new or old get to play... simples Wink

there is no series that needs the chop imo as almost everything was getting at least a dozen entries in 2016. as said the only place there is capacity to merge IMO is S&S and there is the best part of 15 spaces there atm.

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

HummuH wrote:
AK wrote:
RE - Backmarkers...

Indeed, but 1 by 1 is different to 5 at a time Very Happy

I think that the drivers briefings will be quite explicit about respecting blue flags. I also don't see all 5-6 Mini S all being as bunched as the Coopers are.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:27 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

marshal-alan wrote:
looks really good and if we have say 6 cars for the start of 2017 it will be a good start.

The concern I have is say the fast minis are a success and in 2018 we have a dozen cars, that is close to requiring a stand alone series, where is it going to fit into what is already far too congested a day as it is. you are looking at 40 minutes track time plus sweepy up time so call it an hour. there is no space for that, adding the bmw's made a long day longer. Do we go for half day saturday and all day sunday racing, means you wont have the far travelled marshals on every saturday, and in 2016 it was bare bones at the best of times. Now i dont mind dossing in the car occasionally as I love my sport but at say 5 smrc meetings plus october is far too cold to even think about it.

perhaps the drivers and teams with big trucks and motorhomes should be offering a bed to a cold, tired marshal Laughing

If, and I hope this happens, the MINI S creates a big enough entry, then the SMRC will have to look at how they will fit into an already packed timetable. I have some ideas on how this could happen, and have shared my thoughts with them.

I think that the BMW 330's are no further forward than this year. If any want to race, they too could fit into the existing Sports & Saloons structure.

I think we should see some healthy grids next year: MINIs and BMWs should continue as good numbers, Formula Fords showed growth, Legends are recovering and we may have very health grids, there should be more STs out as a lower cost suspension package will be an option, Classics are reasonable grids with good racing.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5

View previous topic
View next topic