Braking Woes

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 am PostPost subject: Braking Woes
Erik
user

So...... looking for a little bit of advice in diagnosing some braking 'issues' i've found myself having.

Both discs and pads were new at the start of the track car season back in April and braking setup is as follows:

285mm MTEC discs
Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads in Hispec 4 pots
AP Racing dot 5.1
Bigger master cylinder
Braided flexis front and back

Over the last few track days i've done, the braking efficiency has tailed right off - they are still stopping the car, just without the same level of bite as i'd come to expect from them. It seems to take a hell of a lot more effort to stop the thing than it should.

The pads are now passed their best and will need renewed for next year now regardless, but there is still a bit of material on them at this point so they are still in usable condition..... ie my issues shouldn't have come as a result of dead pads.

I know its not much to go on, but what are folks thoughts on the causes of the picture below?

Would this be as a result of glazing? Have I perhaps been asking too much of my brakes too soon? Did I perhaps make a mistake in bedding them in?

Have heard nothing but good things about the CL pads, so dont think they are the problem. Whilst the discs werent exactly 'expensive' - again, i'm not sure its those which are the issue. I suspect the most likely cause here is user error - but trying to understand why.

Any thoughts appreicated.....

Cheers,
Erik

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Appears that the pass are being deposited on the disc face, unless that's rust?

For track use I wouldn't be running the pads down below 50% tbh, have you checked the thickness of the inside pad as if running single piston sliding calipers then thr inside pad works harder..

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:56 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Cars been sat for a week since last use, so theres maybe a little build up of rust - but even during hard use during a 3 hour open pit last weekend, the disc looked pretty much as it does in the pic (pic taken yesterday).

4 pot calipers rather than sliding ones, but haven't gotten as far as stripping them down for a proper look.

Will get it on the ramp and stripped down for a proper look at the pads and the insides etc over the winter - just wondered if the picture screamed out anything obvious to folk as a starting point.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:36 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Looks to me like your discs don't like the Sintered compound of the pad, or vice versa.

That looks like an awful lot of pad deposit.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:18 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Doesn't really look healthy to me, should be a clean shiny surface all the way across. Looks more scored or not cleaned.

I would check Calipers are moving ok and are brakes bled ok?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic