J5 WTF - Focus focus Focus

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next   Page 17 of 18

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Sooo Winter work is well under way! Long, prob boring read.

For its last MOT i had to do a chunky repair to the Sill, i knew this day would come so after i patched it i decided it was time to put new sills on it.

Sad

Because i have a touch of OCD i couldn't just put new sills on it, i would have to do something with the rear arches, now you can get pattern ford focus rs rear arches as some classic car company bought the stamps from ford, but i decided to go down the route of getting the rear wide arches to match the front. Full carbon kevlar rear 1/4 panels.

Because i was doing the rear arches i decided the underside of the car could do with a bit of TLC so thats where we will start.

So, this is what i was faced with, 17 years old, 80 odd thousand miles of fords finest metal with Scotlands all season roads! Sad

Doesnt look to bad....

Tank dropped.

Small mirical i didnt find any holes

So the long and pain staking process of scraping all the underseal off and buffing all the surface rust off started! it prob took me about 20 hours all in to removed it all, horrible stuff and not fun doing it on your back!

The whole underside was then treated with rust converter.

Dry/Converted

Whole lot was then Zinc sprayed

Then painted with 2 pack expoy

I was going to raptor coat it but i think il just leave it with this, its fairly hard stuff and iv been using it on the wheel wells for the last year and a bit and its still in good nick so i think for the underside it will be fine and saves adding any more weight!

Rear axle dragged out, love how easy it is to drop the whole lot in a 1er!

And although a jet wash would of seen it ok, full strip down was done!

and sent off to Customised Coatings

At the same time the nuts and bolts that didnt round were sent off to get re zinc plated

So due to the wide arches being about 1.5" wider each side, even my plan to run the square 255 set up on the 9J rims all round would leave the rears looking a little lost!

Luckily i can rob bits from the ford racing puma and 20mm axle spacers should work out just fine.
They need a little trim to clear the ABS sensor like so.

I then got the rear axle built back up and mounted on the car.

Which then allowed me to get the rear hub spacers installed and brakes all built back up.

Il need to run new brake lines due to the axle spacers, but il do that when im running new lines underneath.

Can see the beefy spacers here!

IMG_0791 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So that's really the last 6 weeks update! Hopefully in my week at home in December i get a good crack at replacing the sills and then its onto the rear arches!

Thanks

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm PostPost subject:
Matty.H
user

Keeping another blue oval alive!!!

Decent bit of graft there Jack. Thankless task cleaning the underside of the car lying on your back.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:54 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Aww matty, it wasnt fun, it took what felt like hours of scrapping that stuff off! getting the stuff as hot as you can (it starts to smoke/burn) makes the world of diffrence to remove it. My cheap £20 ebay heat gun is still going, gobsmacked as i used it to removed all the coating stuff on the inside of the focus, wrapped the motorbike and car with it, and all of that and its still working!

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

HOLY FRANK!!! That's a lot of work, good effort. Can looks amazing.

Is the Focus seeing going to be seeing the track in 2020?

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Steve H wrote:
HOLY FRANK!!! That's a lot of work, good effort. Can looks amazing.

Is the Focus seeing going to be seeing the track in 2020?

Its getting there, hoping to have all the work done by the end of feb, then it really could do with another hour or 2 on the rolling road to just tweek the map and it should be good to go.

I want to do a round of SLS and a round of Time attack (an actual round not just a RWYB) but my im not sure if i will be able to with the way the race licences work, i need to upgrade mine but im not sure how far back i can go with Sigs Sad i think over the last 4 years iv only done 3 events ! the joys of working away

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:35 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So home for 7 days in December! Fun!

So no mucking about got stuck right into it! Took a little longer due to mainly the creating of the side sill where the exhaust comes out. I wanted it all boxed in so it was all nice and strong. Also iv never fitted sill stands before so a few youtube videos later me and my mate Craig were ready to go!

So the sills, when i did my repair from what i could see it wasn't looking good. Pulled the whole sill off, and they actually wernt as bad as i thought they were going to be! There were no holes other than right at the rear in front of the back arch, there was a few crusty bits so decided while we were doing the sill stands replacing the whole lot was the best thing to do while balls deep in it!

Picture of said sill.

Got excited and didn't actually take much photos, will try to remember when i do the other side!

The whole front section was replaced here.

Rear

and all boxed in

So then it was onto the rear arches, RS fans, look away now haha!

Its not all what it seems, they were needing cut out and replaced anyway. And now i can fit the 255's in the rear with room for more if i wanted!

Rear tubs made

Now the RS is already wider than the standard focus, iv added another 2" on to each side!

Gives you a slightly better idea

and the rear arch panel just held in place

and stuck 4 rivets in just so i could do the fit and finish work

So thats it, prob not going to be much updates from now. Away on holiday in Jan so prob wont get near the car until feb ! Sad

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year!

Back to the broken record that is the focus.

So onto the other side, this was supposed to be the easy side but after grinding away the paint the signs were there that this side might be hiding more than meets the eye. The front part of the sill was no surprise, due to a "off" back in the early days of my ownership the front sill was flattened. I should've gotten it fixed correctly there and then but i was young and dumb! The front inner needed a bit of patch work to return the strength back to it. What was left was cleaned up and straighten out, and if no use cut out.

So this was further down.

Not terrible but when combined with the front section it was decided to just cut the whole lot off.

Bye bye sill

Front section in detail, luckily it didn't go very deep so was all cut out and replaced.

Thought i took a photo of the new lip but cant seem to find it, but as you can see first sill stand fitted

Rear sill stand fitted, That last 15" of sill was actually cut out after this and replaced.

Rear tub, tubbed.

Lower sill made to match the arch.

Love how fat it looks here.

And full sill all fitted and in primer.

So big thanks to my mates Craig and Scotty for helping, non of us are welders, but all love cars and fabbing bits and bobs up, Super pleased all the metal work has been done!!

I'm now away on holiday and then back to work so i won't see the car until February now! But its now on the rebuilt phase so only way is back together which is a nice feeling!

Thanks!

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Sooo, continuing on from last post. Times past but iv spend 2 weeks in japan, 4 offshore... what time at home haha!

So got the sills painted with bilt hamber epoxy. Think i might go over the sills with some stone chip, just to add another layer off protection.

Next up was rear 1/4s, on off on off on off, just tweaking the panels to fit. They are racing panels but the fit is incredibly good. Just trying to do as much prep as i can because these are to be wrapped you cant hide defects with high build primer (well you can, but thats just more weight) Careful sanding out of little imperfections is the better way imo.

Fixing the panels, i wasn't sure what to do. I know the cars purpous is a track car, but im also not one for just chucking something on. I spent a bit to long trying to figure out what i was wanting to do, bond on, rivets or rivnuts and bolt the panel on, Decided to rivnut them for a few reasons, Smaller heads and a neater finish than rivnuts but not as permanent as bonding them on.

Offside fitted up and wrapped.

Next was the Nearside, This had me scratching my head for a while. Mainly the fuel door. I still use the standard tank. Its in a pretty good place as standard, rear bias with it being fairly low. So i was reluctant to get rid of it. So that means you have 2 hoses to deal with, Filler and filler breather. Doing away with the standard fuel cap door had its own problems. Mainly surrounding the breather and vents of the tank. In the end i decided to reuse the original door and filler neck. This ment welding on the outer part of the skin (the door uses this to mount)

So Nearside on and wrapped.

So next job was to seal the seam from metal tub to carbon arch, tiger seal then haha!

So now that i had the spacers on i could check rear wheel fitment. Plan had always been to run the same ET20 wheel that i use up front on the rear. Keeps things simple.

The arch had more to cut out but it was hella close. So decided rather than chop the arch lip more, id just go down from the ford 20mm spacers on the rear to 15mm ones. Quick look on ebay and i got some from Anembo Engineering, more than twice the price of the ford ones but but looked to be much better quality . Sadly even though the stated the had the abs sensor cut out, i still needed to give them a tickle with the grinder.... kinda not what i expected but hey no hard feelings.

Rear hubs bolted back on and its 5mm of space thats gave me the clearance i need. I think for the 265's on the rear il still need to cut the arch regardless!
So that was the main winter rebuild basically complete. Need to get some side skirts made so the cars hopefully going to be up at calum hayes this time home to get them made.
Next up was the front end aero. Looking at speed trap times the car is a few mph down the straights, and im blaming the front end areo maybe being a bit to much for the power levels. Iv made V3 of the front canards, so hopefully this still gives me some down force and free's up some straight line speed.

Next was cutting into my plexi window, for what ever reason Time Attack says you need to have a hole in your window. I had never done this before now because i didn't need to for SLS and i didn't see the need for it, when going window sliders dont seem to let much air in, and they also open up a security risk. So call to Plastics4Performance and i got a locking window slider kit made and send out.

Armed with an old xzibit CD case as a template cut a hole in the window and bolted the slider in.

So tank back in, connected up and all hoses connected. Gave the swirl pot a prime and boom car fired into life. Chucked the exhaust back on and it was good to roll outside for a wash and a few photos!
Had planned on using the standard rear bumper but it doesn't fit. So phone call and a carbon one ordered! 5 weeks out tho Sad

Lots of little jobs to finish between now and hopefully time attack in may.

Side skirts to be made/fitted
New alloys to turn up (ordered)
Fit rear bumper.
Get new front arm bushes and fit them.
Get the car set up geo wise.
Im half tempted to get it back on the dyno for a few tweeks to the map but dont think its necessary.

Other than a nut and bolt check and mount of new tyres i think it should be ready to go!

Some photos of the semi completed look running both the 9j 18's on the same side.

Cheers!.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Your Focus looks amazing!!! Pretty brave chopping the rear arches / sills and doing all those mods yourself.

Hopefully see the Focus out on track doing some damage sooner.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:39 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Steve H wrote:
Your Focus looks amazing!!! Pretty brave chopping the rear arches / sills and doing all those mods yourself.

Hopefully see the Focus out on track doing some damage sooner.

Cheers mate, yeh it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. They were starting to rot to ether way it was needing cut out. Maybe not the whole panel right enough but yeh, seen this as a time to upgrade and hopefully get some much needed grip over the rear.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So another update.

So as you can see above the main winter rebuild was complete, now just moving along the little jobs that arnt very exciting but do need done.

So first things first, The BMW Shocked ! Bought this back in March, lovely 340i Touring, replaced my trusty 335d and so far does everything just as good if not better! But it didn't have a tow-bar fitted! So bought the fancy electric auto fold out BMW job, retro fitted it and got it all working! Happy Days!

So rugged the focus (with easy) up to Calum Haynes Fabrications where he was tasked with making some side skirts!

Made out of alloy to keep the weight to a minimum i was handed the car back with theses!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iFwUTo]
They line up very very well to the kevlar panels! Follow the lines very nicely! Supper chuffed with them!

(ignor the exhaust)

Quick wrap and we had some side skirts Smile

So next up was in my quest to get a bit more camber and in turn help turn in, power flex now do a rear bush for the lower arm that gives you another half degree caster, so while i was doing that i figured i might as well change the front bush for power flex's camber bush (off-centre bush that allows +- 0.5 degree of camber to be added) Quick phone to part-box and next day this lot showed up.

Old bushes were already power flex so removed them fairly easy and then installed the new ones.

One new bush'd arm! Il change the ball joints as well, They feel fine but they are a few years old now so might as well!

And lastly, I was told there was a rear bumper that matched the kit, placed an order and phoned up the other day to see what sorta delivery date i could expect, turns out there was no rear bumper and i had missed a message saying this. So i set about cutting up my standard bumper and making it fit.

Took alot of cutting tbh, the rear 1/4 sit down about 5mm so it pushes the bumper down and that then turns into a big budge in the rear. Good bit of trimming was needed to get it all to line up. Its not perfect but its going to have to do. Once i get some more pop off buttons il get it neated up and fitting a little bit better!

This is with the wets on so when the 9J alloys are on it fairly pokes out!

Cheers

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:51 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Hows the 340 on fuel compared to the 335?

Back bumper looks great to me. Good job.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Its not bad at all. Around town it’s gutsy, like 15-20mpg gutsy but I drive heavy footed, the 335d would do 28mpg. On a run it does 45mpg, the 335d did 47mpg. Towing the 340i does 26mpg, the 335d did 28mpg.

The zf 8 speed box in the 340 is fantastic! Makes the car imo.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:43 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So, The car is pretty much done.

In all the years the focus has had this manifold and turbo set up iv never had a turbo gasket fail! Until now!

Noticed a bit of carbon build up on the manifold so knew right away the turbo gasket had failed.

Turns out one of the aero nuts had backed off, Race engine mounts people.... rattles everything!

New gasket bought, new nuts, bought new studs but as they were all intact didnt feel the need to change them.
Turbo off on and everything torqued back up. Gave the ceramic coating a little spray with iron out and a tooth brush to get the worst of the carbon off, Next time the manifold is glowing it will clean that right off!

Happy days!

IMG_3117 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

The car hasnt been driven other than moving about yards ect, so shows how quick a gasket fails!

One little job that iv just got round to doing was the new isolator.

The last one (that i bought in 2013) had failed. Not sure what went wrong, but i was a little disappointed.

Even though the unit was well out of its warranty period i decided to give Cartek a email just to see if there was anything i could try.

Mine was "locked" in off mode so i couldn't get power to the car, Cartek were great and a good few emails back and forth trouble shooting sadly confirmed the unit was dead. But there customer support went above and beyond and i got a great deal on a new unit! So got that fitted up yesterday and its back to working perfectly again!

So big thanks to Cartek for keeping the support going even in these uncertain times!

And that takes the car to where it is today, sitting waiting ready to go once this global issue is over! Few snaps of it, its back tucked away under the cover and i doubt il be lifting it anytime soon sadly Sad

Il be the first to admit the car looks a little funky on the 8J alloys, they will be my wets only so hopefully not on alot, im half tempted to get a set of 9J wets now as well tho! More tyres in even the rain has to mean more grip right!

Anyway! heres the photos.

Hopefully get to pick up where we left off this year but for now, stay safe everyone Smile

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Minor update.

Gearbox (dont worry i havn't f**ked it again 🤣)

Trying to be as soft as i can with the gearbox for this years racing. I have a well documented point to start fresh with oil changes, wear material in said oil, and mileage history.

One thing i was keen to get working was the flat floor shifting and more so the throttle blip on downchange.
My issue was inputs, i had used the last for my flex fuel sensor so only had 1 spare input.
This input was from the clutch switch so i could actually do flat floor shifting already. But thats not a big thing for me as i can easy come off the power to unload the transmition to allow me to shift. What i really was after was a blip on the down change.

This was slightly harder, i could have set up TPS values and such like but i couldn't get it working correctly.
Then one day someone posted on the syvecs forum there way around doing exactly what i was after! a bit of back and forth an several relay diagrams later i have a working ignition cut for up changes and a blip for down changes (they are set in syvecs to currently allow me to do them in neutral but that was just for testing)

Super happy, ignore the wiring mess as i had just finished it when i had to video it working!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAlXBlszsnY

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next   Page 17 of 18

View previous topic
View next topic