SLS Round 6 - 9th September

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:13 pm PostPost subject: SLS Round 6 - 9th September
AK
Site Admin

Who's in?

I'm 50% at this time... :/ may be away with work. Fingers crossed I can sort something out though.

No major changes to car planned, maybe some further aero tweaks if parts arrive/time permits.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:55 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

I'm in for the SLS, but may not do the Chase race this time. Although it's good fun I think some thought is needed over the winter as to what the goals of the event are. At the moment it favors the low stressed cars capable of 10 flat-out laps, and something needs to be done to make it more inclusive to the sprint orientated cars. I have a few ideas that I may share later.

In terms of my car, I'm going for a big change in suspension strategy - the soft sprung/lots of low speed shock approach worked well without the wings, but I'm going to try a more conventional stiffer set-up for the final one.
Duratec in Detail

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 pm PostPost subject:
Matty.H
user

We've a family wedding so juniors car won't be out.
Not been a great season for us so wasn't chasing points or trophies this year as a result. We thought we'd changed and updated most things last winter, but when we had a failures with such things as fuel pumps and alternator which were under a year old, you kinda got tho think that Lady Luck is not on your side. Top that off with punctures on the trailer and writing off the tow car, next season can only get better.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:58 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

David Long wrote:
I'm in for the SLS, but may not do the Chase race this time. Although it's good fun I think some thought is needed over the winter as to what the goals of the event are. At the moment it favors the low stressed cars capable of 10 flat-out laps, and something needs to be done to make it more inclusive to the sprint orientated cars. I have a few ideas that I may share later.

Interested to hear your thoughts David.

For me (my opinion...) - I think this is intended, and works.

The race is a race, not a one lap sprint. Its to reward cars that can keep a quick lap time up over multiple laps (be that pace/consistency/consistency with traffic . I.e a different challenge to a sprint. So maybe a different tyre is needed, a tweak to geometry, tyre pressures etc... its a different challenge.

The faster cars CAN win outright. They can also win the handicap part of the race too if they are capable of lapping near their max for 10laps. The slower cars cant really expect to win outright, but they are easier to keep near their max for the full race so may have an advantage.

I think this is good, as it tends to be the upper class cars that dominate King Of The Hill.

I'd be happy to win a race outright (first to flag!)... still never done that Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:00 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I think I see your potential issue though...

Target Lap Times are set by the SLS class winner and this may be unrealistic for other cars int hat class?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:18 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

Having won every race outright, I understand the appeal of getting your trophy, and don't want to sound as though I am complaining, which I am not - I'm just thinking about the good of the series. But if you've got faster cars that lap the winner (ie who's 60 seconds slower, and who then does one less lap), and fight through the traffic to end up midfield on handicap, I think people will just give up on it.

We either accept it's a 'road car race' (for want of a better term) and pitch it at that level by closing it to Pro, A, and maybe B, or do something to compensate the higher performance cars for the traffic and extra race distance. To say nothing of the inherent target time anomaly of high power cars.

Of the ideas I have, it would be to use individual PB's as the target time - what better leveler would there be than that? And possibly some mechanism to credit time for lapping traffic. It could also be a great strategy event if target times and entries were available well in advance.
Duratec in Detail

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:07 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

yeh eco daves point about the low stress cars being able to do lap after lap, my focus last's 3 hot laps before nearly every high temp warning is on

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:34 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

but thats racing!

The chase race is a 'race' Smile Overall winner, class winners and the handicap winner (the only part that can favour those that can lap near MAX for full race)

Some cars are better suited to sprint, some race.

I cant get 10x 54s laps from the Impreza, but Fee prob could. I'm quicker than her over 1 lap though LOL - we cant adjust the race because it doesnt suit me.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:32 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

yeh its racing, and its a good step into it, just the sls is more of a sprint than a race, and there for cars are mainly built with sprinting in mind, and sprint times that comes with it, theirs not alot of sprint cars out there that could do 12 miles at full sprint pace. I could do it but id have to drop the power down to middle map, and prob have to change the pads as well to something a bit more endurance like.

The blue scooby is a very developed machine, as with keiths leon, doing the smrc has allowed you do gather the data for that. maybe its what me and the likes of david lack, Im all about finding the limits of man and machine lol! class B has my car on the ragged edge of that for sure haha!

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:06 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Another weekend where I hardly had time to think! Running a car in every session as well as sharing the car takes its toll and doesn't leave much time to 'think' about how to drive a lap. Doesn't sound much, but mental state is a big part LOL Also having a flight to catch Monday am was playing on my mind.

From the beginning... as most will know we had to retest the Impreza after Round 5. I had no issue, we have nothing to hide and are very open to sharing data/logs that back up the cars power.... or so I thought Shocked When numbers came up on the screen at RA that had the car ~80whp up and ~90bhp (losses % was also down!) up on its 2018 cert i was very surprised. The 2018 test was low in my opinion (~30whp lower than normal) but its 'normal' was in the region of 370whp and had been for the last 4/5 years. Nothing much has changed, but max boost did increase to 2bar (from 1.Cool a couple of seasons ago. (3.0bar MAP on syvecs logs.... )

So.... cue a lot of headscrathing from us and guys at RA (and MSA scrute Renny). Boost showed the same (logs from orig cert, round 5 and re-test). Timing/ign/temps/fueling all tied up. Small differences in ambient/intake temps but nothing to suggest 80whp gains. Water and oil was warmer (out of compensation ranges) for re-test... so a little power added there as RA struggle to get the car to temp at times (it very efficient at keeping cool). We left a bit bemuzed and puzzled... sent out some queries to the guys involved in building the car (Steven Darley, Paul Blamire, Matty Lawson and Simon May). Net result still had me well in Class but had Fee right at the edge. So.... any other day this would have been a nice surprise Laughing but i was still skeptical and wanted GPS logs on track to back up the new found power.... and a reason on where its come from Confused

Sat evening - after a lot of geeking from Paul and Steven on ECU logs the EGT sensor was picked out as a probable issue that had been previously causing the car to overfuel (car thinking it had exhaust temps >1200C and adding fuel in to try and protect engine..... reducing the power in the process). Matty has confirmed he altered/removed the correction for EGT during Round 5 after deciding the sensor was just reading garbage.

At this point I'm still skeptical on its 'new' power and arrange for another dyno run for verification/comparison as there were a coupe of noticeable differences in the way it was tested for orig cert and re-test. More on this when thats complete.

Anyway.... on to the Sunday.

Car sharing again and with Karen in the Mini. Fee sat out warm up, and I sat out practice.

Warmup:

Soaking wet, but straight away noticed the car was quicker (cal04) than I remembered it feeling. This led to me missing a few braking points in the wet and sailing into a gravel trap or two. Nothing to write home about, but still came P2 overall despite the handling issues (full dry setup!). Low 58s lap in the wet with 2 higher power settings to use if needed.

Chase Race Qualifying:

Missed the front of the queue again, so had to find/make space. Did 2 laps both in low 54s with traffic. Happy enough and was confident that would get me a position I needed to be in Smile P2 with David Long P1 and Will Robson P3

Qualifying:

WET again! Went out with group2 due to car sharing (fee runs in Group3 as she shares her race gear with her sis). My general state of mind (not great already) was a bit worse after getting held in the holding area and missing my normal position at the front of the pack. This is a big thing in this group as the speeds are that much greater ... my plan is to do 1 or 2 laps from the front before I catch anyone. I got out mid pack and lost time trying to find space on the first lap, second lap still had traffic but they were moving out of the way more readily so wasn't as compromised. The rain wasn't easing and I needed to get the car to Fee to get her out early in her session. low 60s lap, 2s slower than wet lap earlier in day.
As soon as I came off track (2 laps!) the rain starts to ease and times creep down. Still P1 overall in Group2 but doesnt mean anything as the rest of my class are in Group3 that were to run straight after.
Group3 got a damp/drying track and make my lap time pretty irrelevant Laughing shunting me down to P4 or P5 in Class B. Ah well..... could have gone the other way I suppose. Luck of the draw when car sharing.

Final

Max boost, less braking and more corner speed required. I wanted a 52. The cars geo hadnt been set and we were on mix of setups after forgetting to take the cars setup data with us..... the handling wasnt quite where we wanted it but could make it work. Main issues from the day was braking (locking a wheel here/there) but i feel this was being exacerbated by my struggles to find 4th on downshifts (so no engine braking and lockup!) due to a gearlinkage adjustment for Fee (we are very different LOL )

The lap started well, 90mph at Duffus apex... a little gentle at the base and managed to stop it reasonably well for McIntyres (can hear the car lockingup/trans chattering away on centre diff). Took Butchers what felt like flat but ended up a bit far left with understeer which calmed my normal chicane speed. Up towards Clarks and braked at normal spot, locked one front wheel and lost about 2s scrubbing off speed and nursing the brakes/steering trying to keep it from ploughing straight in to gravel trap. Down into 3rd and just finished the lap in a bit of a strop. 54.8 with that ballsup... OOOFFFF.

100% a 52s lap IF i had been able to carry the first half lap pace on Sad

Car is 100% faster now! Hitting 133/134 VMAX, so about 6/7mph up. Also hit 109mph into Clarks which prob threw me off in final. Need seat time LOL

FINAL - https://youtu.be/05qq1sozs20

Chase Race Final

Boost down, and planned to have a bit of fun with Will assuming David cleared off into distance. Luckily it rained a bit... just enough to work in my favour Very Happy
The cars extra power (even on cal03) was clear on the rolling start (or David got wheelspin!) as I kept much closer to him than last time (I did also learn from last time and changed my approach knowing how he'd start). Passed round the outside at Duffus and put in ~2 fairly quick laps to try and get David far enough back to avoid him simply driving round me on the straights Very Happy Once the gap was there (2secs) I kept an eye on them in the mirror and joined the dots for the rest of the race. Prob most consistent 10laps ive ever done! Also first race win and the added and surprise bonus of P2 in the 'Chase'

Race - https://youtu.be/Nj8vZRrZt4Q

Thanks again to organisors, marshals and the officials Smile Massive thanks to MB Motorsport guys for helping out on the day - massive help to have you guys lend a hand when i'm flapping about raging at everything and anyone! Thanks to Paul and Steven for spending some time geeking logs on a sat night. Will keep in touch once we have it re-retested and verified. The car is noticeably quicker now though... low 52 is my new target Very Happy

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

FULL Results from SMART Timing - http://www.smart-timing.co.uk/Results%202018_files/Knockhill/9th%20September.pdf
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic