SMRC 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:00 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Regarding my comments about talk of change, and not much being changed.

Things have changed (not drastically, but small incremental changes I have noticed).

The coms from SMRC are better
The website/entry is better

BUT for these improvements the general NET result hasnt changed (numbers on grids).

Why.... pass!

The folk are there. The cars are there. The desire clearly isnt.

I feel like I can only really comment on the series i am and have been involved with.

MINIS - You actually feel more welcomed, part of the 'SMRC' etc. The info/updates are enough but of course always room for improvement. There could be more outward projection via social media sites by organizers (noted by Malcolm) and more importantly drivers (its too secret squirrel for its own good. We arent pro drivers... there isnt mega money on the line - post updates/vids etc Laughing basically 'get over yourselfs' Very Happy ). If folk see you having good fun races they will become interested. This then potentially leads to new drivers on the grid.

S&S - When I did race in this series you always felt like an after thought. No idea if this has changed in the last year or so. Classes are OK - you cant have loads of classes to cover all tyres, drive train, aspiration, CC, sex, car colour etc. It needs to be diverse enough to capture as much as possible BUT i think this may be a downside too. Folk wont enter because they cant conceivably win against others that may potentially enter (I enter for fun more than winning Laughing If I win, ace... ).

Adding the STs/Hot Hatch and BMW into the S&S grid is a very good idea IMO. Gives folk more to race against, gives a better race/grid for spectators. Bigger grid then attracts more into all of the championships (S&S/MiniS/BMW/ST/HH). They are all saloons. It also frees up some time during the day.

Currently - There is very little positive projection for S&S
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AK wrote:
Regarding my comments about talk of change, and not much being changed.

Things have changed (not drastically, but small incremental changes I have noticed).

The coms from SMRC are better
The website/entry is better

BUT for these improvements the general NET result hasnt changed (numbers on grids).

Why.... pass!

The folk are there. The cars are there. The desire clearly isnt.

I feel like I can only really comment on the series i am and have been involved with.

MINIS - You actually feel more welcomed, part of the 'SMRC' etc. The info/updates are enough but of course always room for improvement. There could be more outward projection via social media sites by organizers (noted by Malcolm) and more importantly drivers (its too secret squirrel for its own good. We arent pro drivers... there isnt mega money on the line - post updates/vids etc Laughing basically 'get over yourselfs' Very Happy ). If folk see you having good fun races they will become interested. This then potentially leads to new drivers on the grid.

S&S - When I did race in this series you always felt like an after thought. No idea if this has changed in the last year or so. Classes are OK - you cant have loads of classes to cover all tyres, drive train, aspiration, CC, sex, car colour etc. It needs to be diverse enough to capture as much as possible BUT i think this may be a downside too. Folk wont enter because they cant conceivably win against others that may potentially enter (I enter for fun more than winning Laughing If I win, ace... ).

Adding the STs/Hot Hatch and BMW into the S&S grid is a very good idea IMO. Gives folk more to race against, gives a better race/grid for spectators. Bigger grid then attracts more into all of the championships (S&S/MiniS/BMW/ST/HH). They are all saloons. It also frees up some time during the day.

Currently - There is very little positive projection for S&S

Pretty much exactly what I think.

SMRC has definitely improved on a lot of fronts, but the key ingredients are still missing as numbers are declining. I just like to understand why. Malc makes a lot of valid points above.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

AK wrote:

I agree, get as many tin tops in the one race as possible. Only down side would be that the ST, hot hatch and BMW folk are likely to lose 1-2 laps of racing and also have a lot of blue flags to contend with.

One way forward could be to go from a 12 lap race to a 12 minute race or 15 minute race. Then everyone gets there race time.

Also I think it may be worth putting the slicks and wings in there own race slot, are they really getting any benefit from running with folk with stock body and treaded tyres, and vice versa.

This would make S&S more open

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:37 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

crayons wrote:

I agree, get as many tin tops in the one race as possible. Only down side would be that the ST, hot hatch and BMW folk are likely to lose 1-2 laps of racing and also have a lot of blue flags to contend with.

One way forward could be to go from a 12 lap race to a 12 minute race or 15 minute race. Then everyone gets there race time.

Also I think it may be worth putting the slicks and wings in there own race slot, are they really getting any benefit from running with folk with stock body and treaded tyres, and vice versa.

This would make S&S more open

Combining into one grid would free up time which could mean extra laps. Though Will Robson would need a bigger fuel tank Laughing

There's not really enough slicks and wings cars to run on their own grid, anyway, it rains at Knockhill Smile Or, for the meagre number of slick shod cars, should all have to run on treaded tyres from List 1B or List 1C?

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:59 pm PostPost subject:
Ali M
user

I have not had a great year due to engine issues and other commitments, but the main reason I didn't enter SMRC and went to NSSCC was lack of any away rounds.

I understand that in the past when SMRC have run away rounds they might not have been well supported, but I just wanted to drive at some other tracks such as Oulton Park and so went elsewhere.

If I did manage to get the engine back together in time I was thinking of trying to make the last SMRC this year, but will have to see. I am considering SMRC for next year as its much easier for holidays / not taking time off for travel etc.

Not liking the above suggestion of only treaded tyres as there is nothing on list 1b/c I can run due to wheel size, so slicks/wets only (previously ran treaded tyres but largest size I could get were still too narrow).

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:42 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Tin tops that fall into a class then everything else in a seperate race- the mongrels- the engine swapmstuff like my Exige, the mad 4wd stuff, the lightweights- radicals and caterhams some of the open class series down south have huge variety!

Lumping all these with the likes of the ST’s and hatch’s if they ever appear doesn’t seem an great idea, the trap speeds and laptimes would be hugely different!

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:34 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

RE the mixed classes ... they already are and have been for years in S&S.

1600cc AX's, MX5s (mid 60s) etc in the same race as 50s cars.

It is something we have to deal with I think, as the numbers just arent there to separate them. IF/WHEN numbers come back then, yeah..... split off the faster bonkers cars Smile

IMO all it really needs is folk to just get out there and race.

Chicken and the Egg.

Mr X wont race because there is no competition.
My Y wont race as he cant win (in his mind).

Mr Z just gets on with it and races. Folk then enter off the back of this

Folk need to take the leap and just get involved (if they are interested). Folk then see others racing and get involved.

Who is the S&S rep just now?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:24 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Mark I think, certainly runs the FB page although not in an official capacity maybe?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2

View previous topic
View next topic