Mini Cooper Cup

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 8 of 9

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:03 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Barbie updates.....

Swapped to a Getrag box about 1month back.... promptly broke it on its 3rd outing. Cant select 2nd.

So another Getrag on the way.

Had the car along to testing on the 28th.... for some reason it was a very good test session to see exactly where the car was struggling. I knew, but it just highlighted it even more.

I was able to catch quite a few driver from Duffus to Clarks, but as soon as we get onto Clarks I was still gaining for a little bit.... then getting left behind.

According to data from blue and pink cars I was losing 0.7s to Fee on the back straight alone :/
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Barbie... the mini that loves to be thrashed Laughing

Another busy start to the year.

multiple test sessions, tuition (all fee), then SMRC race weekend followed by 4 full SLS sessions and SLS Chase race.

Just thinking on the miles it must have endured during our ownership... Anglesey 12hr alone must have been up near 1000km
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:36 pm PostPost subject:
Daz
Site Mod

Both cars are looking ace. They are great fun to drive on the limit!

I'm assuming no LSD's in either car or allowed?

You don't fancy shipping a Mini one Front Anti roll bar out to me do you Laughing The S ones too thick and we don't have the "one" as an option out here
Mini Cooper S Autocross

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

any updates...? not much. Just more gearboxes niggles.

As in i cant seem to catch a bloody break with them, but they certainly like to break :/

1st box - 2nd gear instantly gone.
2nd box - 2nd gear gone end of lap one of gentle test
3rd box - (rebuild of box 1) - went well at Anglesey, but destroyed 3rd at trackday (horrible noises leading up to failure)
4th box - (rebuild of box 2) - didnt work from the start, crunching into 2nd - refused to use it.
5th box - (rebuild of box 2) - horrible from the start with a lot of noise. Used it... and 3rd gear issues developed. Sounds awful.

Gave both boxes to David Long to have a look at/rebuild/salvage and the plan is to get one from the two for now. Interesting issues, and appears gears have shifted on the shaft (5th gear removed for reliability but no spacer fitted).

my gear shaft is the right side

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Whats the reliability gain in removing 5th? I can see a tiny weight saving, but otherwise it seems to have caused more hassle than its saved?

Definitely no chance I'd be removing gears without a spacer in their place, if it's a common thing in the championship then surely there must be an off the shelf spacer available?

Issues with OEM car boxes in race applications at standard power levels tend to be syncho/shift speed related, are other people having lots of transmission issues?

Both cars are looking great and certainly getting used!

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

alistairolsen wrote:
Whats the reliability gain in removing 5th? I can see a tiny weight saving, but otherwise it seems to have caused more hassle than its saved?

Definitely no chance I'd be removing gears without a spacer in their place, if it's a common thing in the championship then surely there must be an off the shelf spacer available?

Issues with OEM car boxes in race applications at standard power levels tend to be syncho/shift speed related, are other people having lots of transmission issues?

Both cars are looking great and certainly getting used!

What happens is that 5th gets squashed as the gears try to move down the shaft. That reduces clearance and causes damage to the bearing and no doubt drains power too. Normally the gear teeth are ground off to stop it rotating on the shaft and effectively it becomes a spacer.
Duratec in Detail

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

So the harsh use and helical cut causes issues with 5th in standard boxes due to tightening clearances?

Removing the teeth and leaving the spacer to save weight etc is fairly normal, but how does it resolve the issue with the rest of the gears moving?

In this instance it was removed entirely and then the other gears moved enough to strip teeth in a handful of laps? Leaving it in place prevents that, but means it still gets squashed by the other gears (although it's not rotating so the bearing isn't an issue?)

But I guess the real issue is why are the gears moving in the first place? I've seen cars with helical gears spread the casings apart, but not heard of one squashing bearings before, is it just a function of the mini box?

Cheers

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

new engine in - built by David Long. Run in on dyno, and hopefully get a power run tomorrow before its then raced (by Mark) at the weekend Smile

spare gearbox also built by David - a franken box from the remains of the two gubbed boxes (see above issues)

Some other changes and a bit of lighthearted banter - I hear rumours, and cant help adding fuel to fire Laughing

The Impreza apparently makes 70bhp extra when the 'push to pass' button is pressed (I wont go into what does/doesnt happen here... but Laughing ) so I thought it'd be a good idea to get some of that shit going on in the mini!

Na.... removable boss, cable/connectors etc for the button panel. Lights/PTT etc for RoR in November.

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

more top secret stuff... that I dont mind posting Laughing

Mini Cooper power levels.

New engine, just run in on RR. Swapped to synth oil and completed a power run (so still tight). 129bhp @ 6000rpm, 117lbft @ 5000rpm

bit of a flat spot between 3000-4200rpm which seems to be the norm on the SuperChips control ECU.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:56 am PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

From what I can gather, anything from 115 to 135 bhp is normal for these engines, so 129 is bang on the money and suggests there are no problems within. I suspect it will creep up to 130+ as time goes by. But, without wanting to teach my gran to suck eggs, it's always worth looking at everything - clean the air filter, check fuel pressure, coil pack clean, thermostat at right temp, lambda sensor OK, plugs, etc etc.
Duratec in Detail

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:59 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

some updates..

Dyno run at RA for Barbie - 133.5bhp. Car was going well at SMRC round 1... just a few daft errors cost 3x top 10 finishes. Pace was prob top 7 or so.

SLS - Did well (ok'ish laptimes I suppose for the approach I took ) mid 62s on single hot laps (old tyres) when i was getting it cleanly. Got full points for SLS and a win in class for chase race

Fee's car got a freshen up over winter, looking good.

New build well under way...

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 pm PostPost subject:
dake205

Some good work here, I’ve got a 2005 Mini Cooper that I’m considering building for my son to compete in, can you guys help point me in the right direction any advice on spec or spares cheers

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:09 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

You can download the technical regs here:

https://www.smrc.co.uk/championships/celtic-speed-mini-cooper-cup/

Building one is not difficult but most people will start with a team to guide them along the way. A bit of knowledge will speed up the build and it would take forever to learn a competitive setup on your own.
Duratec in Detail

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:38 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Yup,

Ive bought 1, built 2

Doing again - building one is easy and cheaper if doing a lot of the prep work yourself. Labour costs will escalate any build price!!

I paid something like £5500 for a car than Ive spent a lot of time and effort on to make more competitive.
First build - Prob near £6500
Second build - Closer to £4000 with spares being used! Cage was second hand... (£5000 with engine build)

Start with a late 04 onwards to at least get the better geared Gearbox, mounts/shafts etc (Getrag)

Spares - things like wing mirrors, doors, bumpers, bonnets... gearbox... gearbox mounts, shafts then usual consumable type parts - wheel bearings, ball joints etc

For the money I can honestly say they are great! Handle very well, stop VERY well on cheap brakes.... Great fun on track and reasonably trouble free Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:54 am PostPost subject:
dake205

Thanks guys I found the regs after posting on here, I am planning to do a lot of the prep work myself although not quite to the extent you have, it will be a slow build hopefully sourcing second hand parts while building knowledge and spares package but will start just using it as a track day car until I meet full spec, is there any recommendations on where to buy parts, I might start a build thread to get advice as I go along, I’ve read the restrictions for wheels/tyres suspension and Superchips ECU etc can these be bought second hand? funny you mention brakes as it’s one of the first jobs needing done so any advice on what brand brake disks/pads and fluid do you prefer to use, what teams would I be best speaking to

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   Page 8 of 9

View previous topic
View next topic