Anglesey 26th May - SMRC

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

Tue May 15, 2018 5:09 am PostPost subject: Anglesey 26th May - SMRC
AK
Site Admin

Who's in?

Anyone know what layout they are using?

Can someone remind me how to view the entries so far (on SMRC booking site)?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Going to assume its the Coastal layout as some of the other series have 'international' stated on the timetable.

Cork-Screw!!

https://barc.blob.core.windows.net/barcnet/2018-nw02-timetable-v-j7e5a.pdf
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Great weekend Very Happy Really like the circuit, and still have more to learn even after doing who knows how many laps of it before. Mini sprint races are certainly a different ball game to ROR endurance Laughing

Pretty sure I'd be down into the 1:48 / 1:49s on the full circuit now

Testing:

Took it fairly easy - only really the cork-screw to learn. Only went out in 3 out of the 6 sessions. Biggest thing to test was the car.... it finally had a Getrag box, and FINALLY had some power! Getting left for dead on the easiest parts of the track was getting pretty old. The car felt so much better straight out of the pits. Fired in the first flying lap at a mid 1:23. No idea if that was decent or not.... but it was done with about 60l of fuel on board and on very worn 048s. Happy enough so didnt really push the other sessions, just trying different lines and having a laugh with comical grip from 048s that had turned to mush. No issues... crack open the beers in a good mood for once Laughing

Qualifying:

Different approach to normal, but one i'm used to and prefer. Out lap/warm up, banker, faster lap, IN - reset, go again.

First lap was a 1:23.1, second lap ended a bit messy on the exit of T1... over the far side of kerb and took a knock to front left coming back over sideways. Gathered up, and headed back with steering, braking and handling well off. No chance of bettering the lap time, but did give it a go after a quick check that nothing was hanging off.

Qualified P6. Best to date, but truth be told I was wanting higher Very Happy First time using the Yoko 050 too.

Race 1:

Iffy start but made a space or two... round to T3 and had to back out with Hannah sideways/getting turned at the apex. Thankfully most folk saw what was going on and backed out too, so no follow up shunts in the back. Up to 4th now with Sleigh in 3rd and Weddel in 5th. Safety car for a few laps to sort out Dave at Rocket. Green flag.... good couple of laps with David and Michael, backed out on entry (outside) to T3 with Michael as was getting a bit short on track Laughing lost momentum, Hannah and Craig passing on back straight. Pretty sure I had no contact in the race, but something had 'gone' on the front left again. Braking was very interesting and the left was just cooking itself. No turn in, so couldn't really do much about Craig and Hannah in front. Kept with them...ish and kept a decent gap to 8th behind.

Finished 7th... best result in Minis so far, but again... wanted to finish higher. No major damage (track rod end was like a banana) so BBQ and beer time again Smile

Race 2:

Didnt realise it was reverse grid draw, and got a pleasant surprise around midnight when someone told me I was starting P2.

Rain over night and pretty heavy just before being called. Hasty setup and some personal tyre pressures... listening to folk saying the 050 wasnt great in the wet had me a bit apprehensive. Grip on out lap was hit and miss with more rain up at the back of the circuit. I've done plenty wet laps on the track so knew where to find some grip on certain corners, and how slippy it got when the rain stops and the track gets a bit greasy.
Terrible start, but held onto P3 with a helping nudge out of turn 2, synchronized drifting round turn 3.... tip-toeing round the back and into 2nd before throwing it away by spinning into the corkscrew. P2 to last. Doh.
Fought back up to mid pack, then started to suffer fuel surge from T1/T2.. no power from about lap 6 onwards. Still, it was fun passing cars again to then have them sail by on the exit of T2 the next lap!

Need to see what was causing it.. Andy assures me he put in enough fuel! LOL

Race 2 vid - https://youtu.be/f9KrAnDPLDk

great weekend. Great circuit and series. Awesome support from the guys at ALM, and amazing effort from the McNaughton family for looking after us all. Thanks again

Some snaps

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Cool photos with the wee man Smile

Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

My thoughts...

The last time I was down at Anglesey was 6 years ago, and the only time that I have driven the Coastal Circuit. Testing on Friday was spent re-learning the circuit, which I had completely forgotten. I was only out for 4 of the sessions – sharing the day with Adam since we had Jonathan down with us. After the first couple of sessions I felt like I had found my way round again…but disaster struck in the third session when the car just seemed to die and I had to park up. We couldn’t find an issue (mainly due to my inability to describe the problem) and given that the car seemed to be driving fine after being recovered, I lined up for the last session. Unfortunately the problem reared it’s head again but I managed to nurse the car back to the pits and the problem was traced to an issue with the fuse box.

The car was back to full health again, but not really the day of testing I was hoping for... times a couple of seconds of the pace of the front runners.

Qualifying

Not the best of sessions – with the heat and concern that tyres wouldn’t last lap after lap, the plan was to do a couple of laps, take it easy and then try for a couple more. I went out behind Adam, to try to chase him down, but lost some ground and just didn’t manage to string a clean lap together. The session ended with me starting race 1 in 14th place with a mid 1:24s lap. Again, a couple of seconds off pole, but not last!

Race 1

Too much wheelspin at the start and I lost a few places. Half way round the first lap, another car took to the grass on the high speed back ‘straight’ to Rocket and caused a collision involving another 2 cars which resulted in a safety car for the next 3 laps. When racing resumed, I was behind Ross Wilkinson and managing to make some ground on him. I’m annoyed at myself for not making the pass, and some silly moves and over defending allowed Ian Munro behind me to get passed. With a little tap on the apex of Turn 1 I lifted and opened the door to let another two cars through! Arghgh! After that, I was just scrappy, managed a wee spin at the top end of the circuit all on my own, putting me dead last and with only one lap to attempt to make up the lost ground. Rubbish!

Race 2

Wet wet wet! I got a pretty good start and managed to pass a few cars off the line. I had been warned about parts of the track which were particularly slippy in the wet. Unfortunately, these warnings had stuck in my head, so I felt like I was driving overly cautious and slow but was pleasantly surprised that the pack in front of me were not pulling away. My confidence in the conditions were building with each lap and I knew I could push the car more – but I still haven’t quite got the hang of just getting passed people! Watching my video back is quite painful….it is like I’m out for a Sunday drive! Luckily for me, Hannah who had been ahead of me, was nudged off the track allowing me to get ahead and resulted in my first ladies cup win (yay!) I have to admit, it felt pretty damn good to be back up on the podium so hopefully at the next meeting I’ll manage to put up a good race against Hannah and Ashleigh…..so I’m off for some more practice tomorrow!

Another mixed weekend…it’s so frustrating watching back all the videos. It’s obvious where I can go faster (everywhere!) but I just need to put that in to practice! Hopefully after a bit more seat time I’ll see a difference.

Big thank you to my sponsors this year...
- Kay Building Contractors Ltd
- Global Design Innovation / GDi - http://www.globaldi.co.uk/
- Bonthrone Security Services Ltd - http://bonthronesecurity.co.uk/
- CD Refrigeration UK LTD - http://www.cdrefrigeration.co.uk
- Perth Tool Repairs - https://www.facebook.com/Perthtoolrepairs

Thanks also to the Andrew Lamont Motorsport team for all their support over the weekend (and managing to fix my car despite me describing it all wrong…I’ll try better from now on!)

Last, but not least, thanks to the McNaughton crew for looking after Jonathan so Adam and I could both get out on track and for feeding us all weekend!

Videos....

Race 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niruB-fkVko&t=844s

Race 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXIYam-CX8&t=771s

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic