SMRC - 8th April

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:22 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

we had an additional drivers briefing but honestly if people go over the score ban them for rest of meet and repeat from races. You cant treat everyone that races as part of problem its a subset that are issue

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

andy, I have been marshalling 10 years now, it is the same issues every year, track limits and contact. I will say the same as I have been saying for years, it is up to the drivers to police themselves, it is club racing not BTCC, every one of us is there to enjoy a hobby. We should all be showing each other respect

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

absolutely I am a newcomer to all of this and it does surprise me that everyone does not police themselves - so for me if the drivers cannot it needs to be done officially. Anyway my race report for what its worth:

That was a hectic race weekend and well race 1 was not great and I hope everyone does a bit of much needed self reflection.

With new tyres and track re-laid times were falling and i managed to take 1.2seconds off my PB. Its hard to say how much quicker track was but if i compare my fastest time with others I am now competitive! Unfortunately my first lap is always horrid and i need to put more effort into getting closer to cars and feel comfortable with it #oldman. As ever thanks to PerformanceTek Racing LTD as car was handling great and i just need to do bit more. At least i learned from a mistake on race 1 and same thing was going to occur in race 3 and I stopped (overtaken at Duffus but getting mugged after it). Windscreen was done in race 1 by a stone thrown up at chicane from gravel - horrible for camera position was fine for me.

race 1 https://youtu.be/d3aXrd_fIjM
race 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_XBI2ChI8
race 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPWh83t564

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:15 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

Most footage I got this weekend
https://youtu.be/_2sE9gulFQE

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

Race report / essay time!

After an 18 month break, I was back in the drivers seat on Sunday for my first race weekend in the Mini Cooper Cup Smile

All the pre-season testing niggles had been sorted and the car was feeling good throughout Saturday's testing.

Qualifying

We were the first group out on track and after a night of rain, the track was still damp and pretty slippy. I was out on the new tyres, which are still a bit of an unknown quantity, and found that I had very little front end grip with the car not feeling nearly as good as the day before. I qualified 20th out of 23 – not great, but with the weather forecast to improve I was confident that a dry first race would work in my favour.

Race 1

Your first race start in the minis is definitely an experience! Starting near the back of the grid I couldn't see any of the start warning boards or lights. I eventually found the small set on the pit wall (it has been 2 and a half years since I've done a race start!) and got a pretty good start, only to find myself boxed in. In hindsight, I'm quite glad to have come in to the first corner a bit later and avoid all the incidents ahead and survive my first lap unscathed. With a few cars off we had an early safety car and I was caught snoozing when the race restarted, so I was pretty glad of the second safety car outing.

After the second restart I ran over a stray rear crash bar on the pit straight causing a puncture…I tried to continue for a couple of laps (and avoid an incident with Adam at the chicane) but had to admit defeat and come in to the pits for a wheel change which meant that I finished at the back.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMi6PcfINIs

I'm not sure who I thought I was telling I had hit something as I was coming in to the pits!!!

Race 2

Started 18th on the grid (taking into account the non-finishers from Race 1) so a little further up this time. I spent a bit of time trying to overtake Andy Bell - a few failed overtake attempts, where in hindsight I could have closed the door on him on the exit of the corners a bit more to pull them off – hopefully I'll get better at that! Once I got passed I managed to pull enough of a gap to allow me to ignore my rear mirrors and focus on chasing the pack ahead. The gap to them was too big though so I crossed the finish line in 15th place.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBSj5dY70A

Have learnt that head banging along the main straight does not make my car go any faster so will try to avoid doing that in the future!

Race 3

A few places further up the starting grid again with Adam behind me. He's usually quick down Duffus on the first lap so managed to get ahead of me and a few others, but after he had to take avoiding action on the exit of Macintyres I found myself behind him. We always say that if we find ourselves together in a race we won't be overly aggressive and shouldn't waste time being overly defensive....I know that we're both so goddam competitive that such sense usually goes straight out the window.

I manage to get by Adam on the pit straight (I forgot about the cheeky wave until we watched the video footage back) and then we spend the rest of the race with him pushing me on - helping me get my lap times down in to the low 63s. He nearly got passed of me on the second last lap of the race when I missed a gear on the entry to Duffus, but I managed to finish just ahead and in 16th place.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jCn868SN8

Overall a great weekend. I would have obviously preferred finishing further up the grid, but I'll take 3 race finishes with little damage for my first weekend out there! I know that there is more time to be found in me and the car...especially after watching the videos back...so hopefully a little more seat time will help with that.

A big thanks to Andrew Lamont Motorsport and the team for all the work on the car over the weekend and on the lead up to it.

Huge thanks also to my sponsors -

Kay Building Contractors Ltd
    Global Design Innovation
    Bonthrone Security Services
    CD Refrigeration UK
    Perth Tool Repairs

without them I wouldn't be out on the track at all this year Smile

Full results for the weekend here - https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1507578

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:40 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

didnt see much of the other incidents in Mini Race 1, just the stuff that I was involved in.

Lap 1 at McIntyres.... think a car didnt know i was on his outside and turned across the front of me to avoid someone on his inside. Luckily (for me) i was able to keep going. He wasnt as lucky and the safety car was out to remove him from gravel.

Lap 4 or so.... I overcooked it into mcintyres with two cars squabbling in front. Normal braking point, but not with them where they were. Avoidable, and my fault.

Few laps after that I was clipped off at butchers - not really sure where i was expected to go being at the edge of the track and slightly infront of the car behind. Anyway... that one ended my race with damage.

Still enjoyed the sunday despite all the ups n downs
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:31 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

What was going on in Race 1 that was causing the upset then? Anything in particular or are we talking the 'usual' mini stuff?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

We had a pretty good weekend Very Happy :

The long version:
New PB by nearly a whole second (and over 2 seconds quicker than the pace of our last race back in October), a podium finish in race one, and a double win in the new Aqua Sky Veterans’ Cup (otherwise known as the OCC Wink).
Even better than the results, though, is that we seem to have finally got the car working as it should. We’ve had glimmers of what it *could* be like before, but this is the first time at Knockhill that we’ve had the engine working properly, the set-up in the right ball-park, and nothing major failing or falling off.

Pleasingly I’ve also managed to keep my proverbial powder dry with regard to tyres – I ran the whole weekend on ones left over from the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone last year, which means I still have my full (budget-limited) quota of three new sets to use for the rest of the year.

Into the specifics – quail didn’t go as well as we might have hoped. The day started wet, but I gambled that, with 4 qualifying sessions before us and no new rain, it would be dry by the time we got out. It wasn’t. We whipped the rear anti-roll bar off at the last second as a mitigation strategy, but the car was still on a fundamentally dry set-up with dry tyres at dry pressures. I take a lot of positives from the fact that even though the set-up was wrong and made the track feel even slipperier than it should, I was still able to hustle it to a 4th place finish (nearly 3rd if Seb Melrose hadn’t pipped me on the last lap!).

And 4th is a nice place on the grid, as it gets you off the hill for the race start. I should have made better use of it, but I fluffed the launch and gifted the place to OCC rival Gary Sykes. It took two laps to regain the place, by which time Seb Melrose in third had built up a three quarter second gap that I just couldn’t close. Each time I saw a minor mistake or chance to close up a bit, I managed to make a small error myself and give up my incremental gain. Bad luck and a gearbox failure for Jordan Gronkowski up at the front meant we both got promoted a place and saw me take my first podium since my freak wet-weather win last year.

Working on the basis that the car went quicker after we stiffened everything up in testing, I tried a few further tweaks for race 2 (stiffer damping front and back, more anti-rollbar all round), but it was the wrong call, and robbed about 0.4-0.5s off the pace. Still, 3rd is an even nicer grid position to start in (right side of the track for turn 1), and this time I managed a more respectable launch. With a slight drop off in pace, I had a hard-charging Matthew Chisholm in a threatening position behind me, but managed to maintain enough of a gap to prevent a meaningful attempt at an overtake. Jordan Gronkowski Racing coming through the pack gave me a little respite for a couple of laps, and initially I thought I might be able to hold him off as well, but a very well executed (and impressively brave!) move round the outside at Duffus saw him take the last podium spot off me. I held the gap to Matt for the next few laps, but a couple of slight but silly mistakes eroded the safety margin and put him right in my mirrors for the last few laps. Fortunately, a strong engine and flexible handling makes defending a lot easier than it used to be, and I kept him behind until the flag. No second podium, but another win among the older drivers, which I’ll happily take as a result!

So, it’s back to the garage for another head scratch to figure out where to find the next 0.5s. There are a couple of minor tweaks we can do immediately which may make a marginal improvement and fresh race rubber should be worth a couple of tenths. That said, I think the majority will have to come from the nut behind the wheel, but a more compliant car means more consistent laptimes, which means better data, and better data will go a long way to helping my climb to steep learning curve that’s now in front of me.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

My weekend...

Saturday Testing -

Getrag (saga!) fitted to car late Friday. Selector was very stiff and was difficult to get gears without being very slow and deliberate. Selector was swapped to older (cant get into 2nd gear) getrag for second session. 2 laps in.... cant get into second - ARGGHHHHHH. ALM guys worked to get the engine/box swapped from spare car (hindsight it was a good decision to take a full spare car!) and back out for the last session of the day. With the car stilll waaay down on power and with what appeared to be a longer midland gearbox I was pretty disillusioned after this session. The car felt great handling wise but just nowhere on the straights (even with another engine thrown at it on Saturday afternoon).... Some tyre kicking and fault finding overnight.

Sunday - arrived a bit happier with things and hoped some of the findings from Sat eve were the source of the engine power issues. Wet qualy on new tyres and looong gearing. Took a few laps to get into things then session was red flagged just before I could complete a lap that was showing just over 1s better than best so far. Ah well.

Race 1 -

Good start, but assume I was un sighted on the outside of a car coming into McIntyres. Car moved out (assuming to avoid a car on the inside) and turned itself across the front of me. I got off lucky and was able to keep going. Second safety car restart... came over duffus and into McIntyres as usual but realised i wasnt going to be able to avoid the two cars in front that were slowed due to fighting for position. Not my finest decision ever.... tried to go to the inside and collected Blake. My fault completely and appologies to him and everyone for the subsequent safety car period. Got going again with a less than ideal car and then got bumped off the track at butchers a few laps later.... nearly collecting Fee whilst spinning backwards over chicane. Game over with some car damage. There will no doubt be two sides, but from my perspective I'm not sure where I was expected to go, being at the outer edge of a track, with the other car bouncing the kerb and running out wider into a decreasing gap. No hard feelings, sure it wasnt meant etc. Went to race control before I got the call, hand up... DQ'd/Excluded and 4 pts on licence for the incident with Blake. No arguments from me.

Race 2 -

Starting plum last. Poor start and compromised front end after the damage in Race 1 meant I struggled in the corners. Made up a few places but got stuck in a train. Some good clean fun battles with Hutchinson and Holderness though.

https://youtu.be/V7Dkq4yPOP0

Race 3 -

Car improved again and some revisions to pressures - better handling from the start. Made a great start and about 6 places before having to bail off the track for Ashleigh (not sure what happened but she was coming sideways towards me on the inside).. No contact but lost a bunch of places whilst bouncing through the gravel. Got back up to pace but had Fee right behind. Straight line pace advantage to her... so i 'let' Wink Razz her by on the straight and blocked Andy... before then pushing Fee round for a heap of laps. Made a couple of moves later int he race but she defended well... we crossed the link pretty much bumper to bumper. 3-0 to her.

https://youtu.be/x9sAHXqdZSQ

Overall a mixed weekend but still fun despite the obvious low points. Onwards and hopefully upwards once the issues (which I finally hope are well known/understood) are resolved with the car.

Fee impressed me Smile First time racing in a long time, never mind giving birth about 5months ago. Very little seat time due to various reasons (snow, engines, gearboxes, suspension) and she was just 0.1 slower than me on her first outing.

Thanks to the ALM guys for putting up with mt crap yet again, and to Karen for babysitting wee farty pants.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:09 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

Erik wrote:
What was going on in Race 1 that was causing the upset then? Anything in particular or are we talking the 'usual' mini stuff?

I think expectation was race 1 of new season people would take it easy but it was straight into a normal race. As you have so many cars run it 10 times with everyone starting in same place and you will get 10 totally different outcomes.

Problem was more reactions of people either to officials or other competitors which is bang out of order. Everyone fucks up at some point and you should always take 5 mins, take a deep breath and if you made the mistake man up and go and apologise. This is often the result and how it should be.

Its not for competitors to decide punishments its for the officials to do that - if thats not case its just a mess

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic