Feedback on Online Track Driving Technique Tutorials

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 pm PostPost subject: Feedback on Online Track Driving Technique Tutorials
scottmansell

Hi Guys,

I spoke with Adam earlier today, who has kindly allowed me to post in your forum and ask a couple of questions.

I have a website called Driver 61 and we have free online tutorials aimed at track day and racing drivers. I'm a driver coach and in the lessons, I cover driving technique such as how to trail brake and how to use weight transfer.

We're going to make more tutorials and I wondered if you could give me some feedback on the current videos and what you'd be interested in me covering in future lessons?

Any comments would be most appreciated.

You can find the first 20 tutorials here: https://driver61.com/uni

Thanks very much in advance, Scott Mansell.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:46 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Hi Scott,

I think the tutorial section is very helpful for folk wanting some on paper pointers.

https://driver61.com/uni/

I feel like I'm really struggling to get to grips with low power FWD after years of AWD and wide tyres. I know what I'm doing wrong, but I think the biggest thing just now is my brain failing to adapt! Slow it down, smooth it out = go faster. Less tyre, less grip, and not enough power to get away with throwing it in and holding on on the way out.

Reading some of the guides is telling me the same Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I also like this

I made something like that for my wife when she was trying to setup a car on new suspension (setting rebound/compression/arbs). Its a good rule of thumb quick reference
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

I have watched through some of these videos, and they really got me thinking more about my driving style.

Before I get back out on track I will definitely re watch these and concentrate on my actions at each phase of the corner.

Overall I thought they were very good for introducing the different aspects of car control to someone new to the circuit. At the moment I cant comment as to how effective the instruction is, but it is presented well and sounds logical.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

I've watched some of these before and are very good

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 pm PostPost subject:
scottmansell

AK wrote:

I feel like I'm really struggling to get to grips with low power FWD after years of AWD and wide tyres. I know what I'm doing wrong, but I think the biggest thing just now is my brain failing to adapt! Slow it down, smooth it out = go faster. Less tyre, less grip, and not enough power to get away with throwing it in and holding on on the way out.

Hi Adam! Thanks for the kind words about the site, much appreciated.

What exactly are you struggling with? Braking, entry or getting on the throttle? Getting into a slower car can actually help your driving. If you're used to higher speeds and get into a slower car, you'll have more mental capacity to think about your technique.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm PostPost subject:
scottmansell

@crayons Thanks very much for the feedback, please let me know when you head back on the track and have further feedback.

@arm10 Ah! You've already seen the site, great! Any suggestions for future video topics?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:26 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

scottmansell wrote:
AK wrote:

Hi Adam! Thanks for the kind words about the site, much appreciated.

What exactly are you struggling with? Braking, entry or getting on the throttle? Getting into a slower car can actually help your driving. If you're used to higher speeds and get into a slower car, you'll have more mental capacity to think about your technique.

Spent the best part of 10years in 4wd cars on track... decent power 400+ bhp. Moved to one make Mini Cooper racing (as well as still racing the 450bhp Impreza).

Impreza - very rear biased setup, with a little understeer to deal with at times. I can use trail braking deep into corner then just be aggressive with throttle and deal with the car moving around. Not really smooth... but I have noticed my driving and approach change after doing a couple of races in the mini. Calmer/smoother...

Mini : My thoughts at least (still havent had any tuition in the car)... I'm ok at the fast stuff where commitment is required and can easily catch the folk i'm racing with through these corners.

Two corners I'm struggling with at Knockhill are Clarks and Hairpin - both (in my opinion) just require a bit more finesse from me. I'm asking too much from the tyres I think... braking/turning to eagerly at times and still applying the throttle as if I was driving the Impreza (too aggressively). So the front will go light and start to wash out. More seat time is key as I've had very little time in the car Laughing and in my head (when not in car) I think I know where/what/how to go faster... just getting my brain to link to the feet/hands (whilst in car) is the difficult part just now. Instinct/habit.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:37 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

scottmansell wrote:
get into a slower car, you'll have more mental capacity to think about your technique.

You'd think....but that's not Adam's style! I think he leaves his brain in the pit lane most of the time Laughing

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:06 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

Suggestions: wet weather adjustments in driving. 4 wheel drive different lines in wet and effect

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic